Preview Hawks vs Dees - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone calling for Goo to be dropped has no clue.

Every week he gets his body smashed for the club and has been brilliant this year.

My changes

Out-Ladson, Birchall, Ellis, Taylor and Murphy.
In Brown, Hooper, Skipper, Peterson and Whitecross.

Gilham and Lewis are next in my gun and should be on notice.

I would like to see Whitecross play where he is supposed to be played and that is in the backline. He is not a forward Clarko so please let him develop as a defender.

No way - Murphy stays - he has been very consistent this year and in a good way too. He is well suited against Melbourne as apart from the resting ruckman they don't play a huge forward line and a player like Dunn or Jarrah he will be a good match for.

I'd leave Birch but he has to get more involved with his run of the half back line - hopefully the bigger space of the MCG will help a bit.

I couldn't beleive how quickly we let the Swans move the ball on SAturday - thats how we normally play and we played the slow one small kick at a time to take 2 minutes to get to the forward line.

Time to leave Hooper or Osborne at the feet of Buddy and Roughie - who should be based in the goal square to lead from. Back to how we played in the 9 wins in a row - long kicks - Muston in on the wing with Young on the other wing.

How about when she goes - Roughead handballs to Franklin, outside 50, kicks it to the top of the square - Roughead outnumbered and the ball is hit away - Gee Roughead was quick to run 60m and contest the kick from Franklin who he just handpasses to!

She's almost as bad as Tim Lane and his hatred for the Hawks - and he is almost as Bad as Mike Sheehan!

She is no way near as bad as the Hawks have been the past 2 seasons...

Is anyone else already over this season? Such high expecatations and now locked into a battle with the Kangas and Dees to make the 8. What a JOKE!

How the hell were we so good in 08? How are we so poor with the players we have on our list?

I know we won 7 in a row and a win is a win, however, I saw and went to every game (in melb) and we didn't play that well (besides bulldogs, lions, saints).

It really annoys me that I know we can beat any team (Geel, Coll, Saints, Dogs), however, we won't even get the chance to do it!

Pull your finger out Hawthorn I am sicking of everyone telling me that 08 was a fluke. It hurts as I know we deserved.

Anyway going to be intresting at the selection table; hang on, NO it won't, Clarko never does anything differnt!

Expect

Brown, Hooper IN - Obvious
Gurrera, Suckling (Ommitted for wasting everyones time) OUT!

He won't play Lisle, or Shoey, or Skipper!

As Kennett says “A premiership in 2008 and not make the top eight in two successive years? That would be a telling statistic.”

Vent over!

Sorry for being negative! I need to start a positive thread!

You cant win 7 games in a row and not be a good team, there are only 4 teams to win 7 in a row in 2010.

Geelong, Saints, Pies and guess what the Hawks too, no team has won more than 7 in a row in 2010, but the Pies will this Friday night.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of Go Hawks and others who are qualified to comment of excactly where JKT "is at" at this stage of the year.

He had one very ordinary game against Essendon and was obviously banished to pergatory for that effort.

Is he any chance of playing another game this year?
Would he be a suitable replacement for Ellis/Ladson/Moss/Suckling in the coming weeks?

Reading the Box Hill reports he does seem to get mentioned in the best players quite regularly but he doesnt seem to rate a mention on these boards when discussing team selections.

Don't know if anyone has replied to this but i will answer the call. JK is a selfish player. He frustrates the hell out of me, especially yesterday, on numerous occasions he had his 'blinkers on' instead of opening his bloody eyes and passing to a player next to him. Ok, he has a fairly big kick, but you play in a team, cannot play alone, he constantly looks for goal from 55 metres on a tight angle instead of bloody looking for a team mate. Yes he is a rookie player, but i see it week in and week out. I did not see clarko there yesterday but yesterday was the final straw for me.

JK - there is no "i" in team!

For me, he is a back up for young and should be delisted at the end of the year and replaced as a mature age rookie by the "Collossus' Robbie Campbell.

You cant win 7 games in a row and not be a good team, there are only 4 teams to win 7 in a row in 2010.

Geelong, Saints, Pies and guess what the Hawks too, no team has won more than 7 in a row in 2010, but the Pies will this Friday night.

To be fair, it does depend on the draw a bit though.

Hope we make a statement at the selection table after two crap weeks in a row. We have struggled in the past against quick teams and the dees are the probably the quickest out there atm. We need intense pressure from our fwds to stop melbourne rebounding from defense as once melbourne gets the ball in the centre mitch,hodge, ellis etc won't be able to keep up.

Out: Guerra, moss, suckling, ladson, sewell
In: WX, hooper, muston, peterson, shiels

-Sewell has been out of form and having him in the team means we have to play lewis as a fwd or wing - positions he is not suited to.
-Brown isnt really a good fit for the dees agile fwd line and lack of marking targets (but I expect him to be included despite what I have above)
-Despite injection of pace from ins bench still looks slow. Is prob too late in season to introduce a savage/breust type player though. Shiels, with his elite running ability may be able to help out bateman in the gut-running stakes or tag a young melbourne mid
-Gilham deserves to be dropped but won't as shoey isnt quite ready.
-Muston is in some of the best form of his life and adds to our running contigent but can also play as a hbf or defensive fwd if needed
-Peterson is the 3rd marking target we need. While hooper will provide the fwd pressure we've lost with rioli being played in the middle.

B: Murph Gilham Gibson
HB: Birch Stratts WX
C: Young Hodge Bateman
HF: Hooper Buddy Muston
F: Peterson Rough Ossie
R: Renouf Mitch Burgoyne
I: Taylor, Shiels, Ellis, Lewis

Renouf and skipper are not a ruck combo that will win as a premiership.
We need to give taylor a chance to regain form as we need his presence/size and hitout ability in the finals.

I dont think we have time for him to regain form, we are at the death knock.

We need to give taylor a chance to regain form as we need his presence/size and hitout ability in the finals.
Taylor will never win a premiership. Renouf already has, Skipper contributes more than Taylor. I think it's pretty clear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Taylor, Guerra, Suckling, Moss
In: Skipper, Brown, Hooper, Muston

PJ.

Probably the most likely scenario.

I have a strange feeling (think it is called dread...) that Taylor will play again this week & that Renouf will be rested.

Out: Taylor, Guerra, Suckling, Moss
In: Skipper, Brown, Hooper, Muston

PJ.

Peterson was best on ground in the first half against the Demons until Hodge knocked him out. Massive reason why we were up by 9 goals at half time. He was also best on ground 2 weeks ago at Box Hill, playing out of defence. Since we just lost a defender probably would be handy to have. Ladson could be dropped as well.

I actually agree with this, no doubt he is very ordinary around the ground but he provides size and at very least a big body in rucking situations like ball ups and throw ins. You only have to watch what happened to us in the St kilda game in the dying seconds when Skipper had to have a run up in a rucking contest which cost us the game, he isn't strong or big enough to take on the ruckman one on one. That is finals football.

All I would ask of Taylor, is don't go anywhere near the ball follow your man everywhere, and provide a gallant contest in the ruck.....nothing more nothing less, we have a midfield that can and should cut it with the best if the ball is neutral in a rucking contest, thats a win with what we currently have with our rucking stocks.

I'd like to see Changa freed up from his run-with role. We really miss his gut running, in an attacking sense. How do we do that though? Do we bring in Shiels to do the tagging role that Changa has been doing, or is Shiels not quick enough for the roles that Changa would normally get?

Hooper and Petersen both need to come in. Get Lewis back into the midfield. Ossie can play defensive forward, or even Petersen can do that. Maybe that's why he has played half back to BHH?

I don't know about the rucks. I liked the idea of Taylor coming in last week, and it would be harsh to drop him after one game, but gee he gave us little...lift this week Sqizzy.

Whitex, I like the look of this bloke. Have done for some time, but he had his chance with a 3-4 week stint a short time ago and didn't step up really. He's played one good game at BH, let's see him repeat that at least this week first.

I'd like to see us play with our 3 big man forward structure again, but don't believe it's going to happen. Skipper/Lisle here would be my preference, but is just a wish list, I doubt it's on Clarko's radar.

Fingers crossed Goo gets off.

Ins for me - Hooper, Brown, Petersen, Shiels
Outs - Suckling, Moss, Laddo, and Guerra/? Perhaps Ellis, but I'm struggling with this last out tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jarryd Morton came in.

Morton to play where? Half Forward / Forward Pocket?

Does Morton have any kind of defensive game? Or. If down back could he kill the high ball or would his presence create other issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back