Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t believe so. Quality mids are focussed targets. I understand, Outside Cogs, we want depth through the midfield over the next two Trade/Draft periods. A mix of FA/trade and Draft ideally. I still hear we hope to get KP depth from outside the focus.
Inside and outside guts is the focus !!!

I get the need for more midfield grunt, but there needs to be a focus on a forward or two who the midfielders can kick the ball to. Unless the midfielders are just going to burst through packs AND then long bomb from the 50m line!

I get the need for more midfield grunt, but there needs to be a focus on a forward or two who the midfielders can kick the ball to. Unless the midfielders are just going to burst through packs AND then long bomb from the 50m line!
We only need 1x KPF mate.

Mitch Lewis is a jet & will be better than Tom Lynch in 12x months. We need a FF now, to complement him. See: Patton!

We actually need a small/pressure forward to replace Popeye more than we need 2x KPF (given that we have 1x in Lewis).

Edit: Small, pressure forward. I notice that Jarman Impey has been spending a bit of time forward these last couple of weeks. I wonder if he’s to transition to that part of the ground in the future (post Popeye)?

Last edited:

Mitch Lewis is a jet & will be better than Tom Lynch in 12x months. We need a FF now, to complement him. See: Patton!

We actually need a small/pressure forward to replace Popeye more than we need 2x KPF (given that we have 1x in Lewis).

Edit: Small, pressure forward. I notice that Jarman Impey has been spending a bit of time forward these last couple of weeks. I wonder if he’s to transition to that part of the ground in the future (post Popeye)?

Massive call that one.

Definitely has more strings to his bow than Lynch I think. Being a key position player he might take a couple more seasons to really hit full flight - but his upside is definitely better than Lynch's, I agree.

He and/or Dimma, post securing a Dimma replacement. There is some hope CJ may develop into Imps back half role.

Nah, get around him HODGEYROAD, he's the future.

I have foreseen it!

The kid has a long way to go but he's got something you just can't teach and that is size and is also surprisingly agile and good below his feet for a big guy. He has his moments but atm fades from games so he'll have to really put in the work this offseason to build up his tank. I also wouldn't mind seeing him get a bit of nastiness about him once he adds a little more size. Nothing untoward but just a little something something to let the defenders know that if their going to contest it then there gonna have to earn it.

Now while I'm jabbering on something I think that is more of an issue atm is Sicily's overuse of the ball in the backline this season. I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up but there has been an alarming amount of times this year where he's butchered the ball, turned it over or been caught holding the ball. I love Sis and he's been a revelation the last couple of years and I'm not sure if this seasons issues is due to the 6-6-6 rule or the fact that we haven't got any good options up forward presenting well enough. If I had to guess then I'd say its the latter with our forward line but I must admit if at all possible if there's a chance to bring in a good defender then I wouldn't mind seeing Sis moved forward next season. Who that would be that we could bring I'm not too sure but one things for sure we need to be able to kick some more goals if were going to start winning some games. Has anyone else noticed what I've mentioned about Sis?

Definitely has more strings to his bow than Lynch I think. Being a key position player he might take a couple more seasons to really hit full flight - but his upside is definitely better than Lynch's, I agree.

If he becomes the structural player that TL is, then a huge tick. Could Sic play the Jack Riewoldt role ???? Mmmmm....I think so. Or do we load up with anther forward tall, like a slimmed down Patton, the two pillars. There is also hope Walker with some decent preseason legs will flourish as a mobile marking tall.
Look there a lots of pieces to the jigsaw puzzle, but you can see, some targeted replacements over the next two to three trade/draft periods and we could be back in the game
You can also see why a quality midfield of TMitch, JOM, Cogs, Worpel, Shiels, with perhaps either a Cerra/Brodie or dare I suggest a Anderson and Maguiness becomes a real weapon with the rest built around them.
It can be done but it will take some luck, good and strategic targeting and time.

If he becomes the structural player that TL is, then a huge tick. Could Sic play the Jack Riewoldt role ???? Mmmmm....I think so. Or do we load up with anther forward tall, like a slimmed down Patton, the two pillars. There is also hope Walker with some decent preseason legs will flourish as a mobile marking tall.
Look there a lots of pieces to the jigsaw puzzle, but you can see, some targeted replacements over the next two to three trade/draft periods and we could be back in the game
You can also see why a quality midfield of TMitch, JOM, Cogs, Worpel, Shiels, with perhaps either a Cerra/Brodie or dare I suggest a Anderson and Maguiness becomes a real weapon with the rest built around them.
It can be done but it will take some luck, good and strategic targeting and time.

Of course Cogs outcome pivotal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis better than Lynch in 12 months (or even at all)?

Hand off it lads. Lynch has had no pre-season & hardly trains during the week.
So if Mitch Lewis has a good pre-season & trains all week does it not stand to read on that he may surpass TL?

Your logic appears defeatist & backward.

He'll play CHF as opposed to FF, so slightly different KPI

So if Mitch Lewis has a good pre-season & trains all week does it not stand to read on that he may surpass TL?

Your logic appears defeatist & backward.

He'll play CHF as opposed to FF, so slightly different KPI

Mitch is coming along nicely but Lynch fully fit has him well covered - certainly in the short term.

Longer term who knows - fingers crossed!

I reckon Lewis is already a better mark than Roughy or Buddy have ever been. In time his reading of the play will improve and he'll have even more opportunities to take those marks. If he can translate those marks into goals then he could be a huge contributor up forward.

Now while I'm jabbering on something I think that is more of an issue atm is Sicily's overuse of the ball in the backline this season. I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up but there has been an alarming amount of times this year where he's butchered the ball, turned it over or been caught holding the ball. I love Sis and he's been a revelation the last couple of years and I'm not sure if this seasons issues is due to the 6-6-6 rule or the fact that we haven't got any good options up forward presenting well enough. If I had to guess then I'd say its the latter with our forward line but I must admit if at all possible if there's a chance to bring in a good defender then I wouldn't mind seeing Sis moved forward next season. Who that would be that we could bring I'm not too sure but one things for sure we need to be able to kick some more goals if were going to start winning some games. Has anyone else noticed what I've mentioned about Sis?
I'm honestly not getting that feeling at all. If anything i've felt most comfortable with the ball in his hands in the back line this season.

Now while I'm jabbering on something I think that is more of an issue atm is Sicily's overuse of the ball in the backline this season. I'm not sure if anyone has brought it up but there has been an alarming amount of times this year where he's butchered the ball, turned it over or been caught holding the ball.

I've noticed it, perhaps the instruction now from coaches is that he takes the game on, therefore, be aware. It showed up worst on the weekend because of the Tuggers pressure.

Last edited:
not Cogs leaving. But Patton leaving opens up a significant amount that Cogs would be worth easily.
But if Cogs is not staying/leaving based on dollars, then what does it matter how many dollars are freed up via other trades?

Anyway, doesn’t matter.

Lewis better than Lynch in 12 months (or even at all)?

Hand off it lads. Lynch has had no pre-season & hardly trains during the week.

So to Mitch Lewis. He is still growing into his body. Has hardly completed a preseason. This prep has probably been his best, but he has a long, long way to go.
Fully conditioned he will become a very nice player and not bad for Pick 78.

Agree he is a long way off TL, but will more than fill a role in the future. Just one piece to a changing forward structure.

But if Cogs is not staying/leaving based on dollars, then what does it matter how many dollars are freed up via other trades?

Anyway, doesn’t matter.
both important as to Giants being able to pay him to stay. He may not be chasing money, but he should be paid what he deserves if he chooses to stay. Not sure what Cogs will weigh up in his decision, but if He chooses to stay Giants will need to get some cap relief to keep him & potentially sign others for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back