Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep thinking of the moneyball approaches we're taking:
- Guys with injuries (O'Meara, Burgoyne, Scully, O'Rourke, Burton, Patton rumoured)
- Guys in the wrong culture (Scrimshaw, Wingard, the rumours of Will Brodie)
- Guys who are real vanilla that we hope to turn around (Hale, Spangher, Henderson, Vickery, Simpkin)
- Guys played out of position (Guerra)
- Moving guys on that have reached a perceived ceiling (Jed Anderson, Shane Savage, Ryan Burton)

There's quite a bit in there. As a fan it makes it hard. You think of, for example, someone like Weidermann - a KPF, in the wrong culture who is pretty vanilla but has potential. Would we try and turn him around?
Is Ben Brown so badly out of touch that we could get him over cheaply? Can we have a strong leading/marking forward in our team that has no ground game?

How come we don't bring in speculative guys from St Kilda, Melbourne or Freo? Surely those lists are full of unpolished diamonds.

I reckon you can add Impey to the vanilla group. Most supporters did not understand why we were interested.

Now we get it.

I reckon you can add Impey to the vanilla group. Most supporters did not understand why we were interested.

Now we get it.
Yep, I was one of them. So glad we did though, the guy is a jet and keeps getting better!

Now we get it.
Yeah I agree. Last year he was still pretty middle of the road. Can't believe the improvement in marking, decision making and disposal this year. Becoming a genuine gun.

Yeah I agree. Last year he was still pretty middle of the road. Can't believe the improvement in marking, decision making and disposal this year. Becoming a genuine gun.

Unlike some so called better credentialed players, displaying more leadership than they have yet again today. Bruest, Gunston and the Captain just don’t possess it. Don’t contribute when leadership is required. Just don’t have the metal.
Imps inspires, never gives up and takes it on. Love him.

Now we get it.

Good call, I wasn't mad on the trade but I'm a convert these days.

People shouldn't nail themselves to a post on here so much and opinions are formed at a certain time, for a certain reason and should be fluid.
There is nothing wrong with that either.

No doubt the club have some good targets few have considered.
I didn't even know what Scrimshaw looked like until it was rumoured that he was headed our way.

Looking through the obvious list, the two who would improve us most for the cost:
B.Ellis - we desperately need more run and carry off the half-back line.
Sier - inside mid who can win it and create too.

Weideman would be a good addition too, but I suspect it would cost us a top 10-15 pick we would want to use elsewhere.

At first I didn’t like the idea however after a closer look at how poor our forward-line structure has been this year and the increasing need of a key forward who can play deep at full forward, I’m now starting to warm to the idea of getting Jon Patton.

The midfield isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. Mitchell makes those around him better and he’s also good at bringing others into the game. Getting him back would see a significant increase from O’Meara, Shiels, Worpel and Cousins.

How hard Hawthorn rebound back up next year will depend on what they do during the off-season regarding the lack of key position stocks on the list.

At first I didn’t like the idea however after a closer look at how poor our forward-line structure has been this year and the increasing need of a key forward who can play deep at full forward, I’m now starting to warm to the idea of getting Jon Patton.

The midfield isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. Mitchell makes those around him better and he’s also good at bringing others into the game. Getting him back would see a significant increase from O’Meara, Shiels, Worpel and Cousins.

How hard Hawthorn rebound back up next year will depend on what they do during the off-season regarding the lack of key position stocks on the list.

I really hope people realise that Tom will need some time to get back to his best. I have an awful feeling some just seem to think he’ll come straight back in and average 30-40 possessions a game.

I really hope people realise that Tom will need some time to get back to his best. I have an awful feeling some just seem to think he’ll come straight back in and average 30-40 possessions a game.
This is the only reason that I think he might come back for one or two games in any grade late in the year, identify rehab/recovery problems and shake off the rust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Barlow came back in good knick after breaking his leg playing for Freo and had another really good 2-3 years post leg break

Mitchell will come back and accumulate big numbers again. Hopefully he is able to spread as hard as he was in 2017-18. Its going to help when he has O'Meara next to him full time and my confidence on a certain midfielder from the Giants joining has grown significantly over the last 2 weeks.

This is the only reason that I think he might come back for one or two games in any grade late in the year, identify rehab/recovery problems and shake off the rust.
Yeah my comment was more so directed to some that probably need to have some patients with Tom as he'll need some time to get back into the swing of things. You know the posters on the game day / autopsy threads that call to drop players because they hit panic mode. It's really unbelievable how many spoilt fans we have that are quick to point fingers and lose their s**t. They are definitely not someone you'd want to have in the trenches with you when things get dire. Frankly I have been absolutely disgusted with the comments some were making yesterday and also the games we lost before that.

To those wanting Brad Crouch,

Is he not effectively a lesser version of Tom Mitchell? Hard, in & under, racks up possessions etc., but doesn't dispose as well as TM, doesn't penetrate with his kicking as much & probs doesn't cover the same ground.

Cogs is the obvious complement to the Mitch/JO'M duo, but I don't see Crouch as a Plan B should Cogs not be available, I see Crouch as more of a back-up to Plan A (Mitch).

To those wanting Brad Crouch,

Is he not effectively a lesser version of Tom Mitchell? Hard, in & under, racks up possessions etc., but doesn't dispose as well as TM, doesn't penetrate with his kicking as much & probs doesn't cover the same ground.

Cogs is the obvious complement to the Mitch/JO'M duo, but I don't see Crouch as a Plan B should Cogs not be available, I see Crouch as more of a back-up to Plan A (Mitch).

Maybe Whitfield should be plan B

We need at least one KPF, a KPD and a midfielder.

Coniglio is a much better player than Crouch IMO. Crouch doesn't excite me.
He doesn't need to be better than cogs, we have 2 A graders already in Jaeger and Tom, what we need is that consistent ball winner who can win go both inside and outside and Crouch can do that. It would take the pressure off Worpedo, Cousins and Shiels to be those ball winners going forward and allow Worps and Cousins to develop without being thrown into the deep end. We need 2 decent to consistent mids and they don't have to be Coniglio. Brodie from GC and or Crouch would be fine.

Urgent need - CHB. This frees up Sicily to be an attacking weapon, rather than being forced to sit in defence and zone off t9 intercept. In turn, this gives us another option on the wing.think theyre trying obrien in this role, however, while still learning, it requires Sicily to be back there..

Need - midfielder. We have a solid selection of youth, but no depth. The youth are not there yet to deal with full game time and are being fast tracked. Mitchell returning will help a bit, but we need one more elite as we can't be relying on others to get back to their best form.

Not needed but helpful - tall forward. We have Lewis coming along nicely, and with a stronger inside 50, he will be great. We are returning to a 05-07 set up, with only one tall, and lots of mediums

No doubt the club have some good targets few have considered.
I didn't even know what Scrimshaw looked like until it was rumoured that he was headed our way.

Looking through the obvious list, the two who would improve us most for the cost:
B.Ellis - we desperately need more run and carry off the half-back line.
Sier - inside mid who can win it and create too.

Weideman would be a good addition too, but I suspect it would cost us a top 10-15 pick we would want to use elsewhere.

Yep nice call mate. Ellis would be handy but probably looking at 550k plus. Handy though and free agent I think.

Sier is a deadset gun too but he'll cost us a first rounder I'd say. Think the Pies have big plans for him so would be surprised for them to let him go.

The Weed could be handy. We need another key back going forward too. Could we get away with Brand and TOB for the next 5 years with Sicily, CJ and Scrim floating around to help too? I'm not really convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back