• Yes

Votes: 300 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He came 2nd in their B&F just last year. Wasn't as good this year, but he still managed to kick 38 goals, which is pretty bloody good from an ordinary year.

Apparently came back from his offseason very overweight last year, presumably a big part of the reason his form dropped, but I think I read he came back in far better shape this time around, so I won't be surprised at all if he returns to form and has teams keen on him again. Maybe even us.

We could do with someone with his line-breaking speed and goal kicking ability.

I wonder what compo the Blues would have got for Betts if they hadn't been stupid enough to cancel it out with the Daisy Thomas free agency. ( Thomas got Collingwood a first rounder lol ).

He came 2nd in their B&F just last year. Wasn't as good this year, but he still managed to kick 38 goals, which is pretty bloody good from an ordinary year.

Apparently came back from his offseason very overweight last year, presumably a big part of the reason his form dropped, but I think I read he came back in far better shape this time around, so I won't be surprised at all if he returns to form and has teams keen on him again. Maybe even us.

We could do with someone with his line-breaking speed and goal kicking ability.

He seems to come with a bit of a bad reputation for off field stuff so unless he cleans that up there will be a lack of takers again.

I am lead to believe that the Hawks will draw on all their experience with treating chronic injuries.

In 2002 Daniel Chick had his left-ring finger surgically amputated following chronic dislocation.

If my mail is correct, Jaeger will shortly enter Hospital to have his troublesome knees removed.

There will of course be a very long period of rehabilitation required before Hawthorn fans are able to see Gumby O'Meara take to the field again :cool:
They have room on their list for such a statured man with the departure to West Coast. Jaeger will be great on either stump of the body!

I wonder what compo the Blues would have got for Betts if they hadn't been stupid enough to cancel it out with the Daisy Thomas free agency. ( Thomas got Collingwood a first rounder lol ).

And that first rounder became Nathan Freeman.

So yeah I guess we should be thanking Carlton?

Freeman, Jaksch, taking Boekhurst which let Goddard slip through, Carltank's recruiting is the gift that keeps on giving

I was looking at Hawthorn's draft history for another thread, turns out Hawthorn are practically allergic to first rounders this decade and the AFL could soon restrict their future trading. They took two players in 2015 which buys them a little breathing space in the four year rule (teams must used at least two first rounders in a four year period) but even so. Here's the figures:

2010 - Drafted Isaac Smith at pick 19
2011 - Traded first rounder (pick 24, ultimately Henry Schade at Gold Coast) to Adelaide as part of the Jack Gunston trade First pick 33 Bradley Hill
2012 - Traded first rounder (pick 21, ultimately Nathan Hrovat) to Footscray as part of the Brian Lake trade. First pick 28 Tim O'Brien
2013 - Traded first rounder (pick 18, ultimately Luke Dunstan) to St Kilda as part of the Ben McEvoy trade.
2013 - Traded first round compensation pick (pick 19, ultimately Blake Acres) to St Kilda as part of a pick trade. First pick 24 Billy Hartung
2014 - Traded first rounder (pick 19, ultimately Blaine Boekhorst at Carlton) to Western Sydney as part of the Jono O'Rourke trade. First pick 31 Daniel Howe
2015 - Broke the pattern, traded in first rounder (pick 19, Ryan Burton) from North Melbourne as part of the Jed Anderson trade as well as using their pick 22 on Kieran Lovell
2016 - Traded first rounder (pick 16, ultimately Todd Marshall at Port) to Sydney as part of the Tom Mitchell trade.
2016 - Traded out their 2017 first rounder for St Kilda's first rounder (pick 11, ultimately Jack Bowes through academy bidding), ontraded to Gold Coast as part of the Jaegar O'Meara trade. First pick 74 Harry Morrison
2017 - Traded first rounder (?) to St Kilda as part of a pick trade. First pick ?

So a traditional Hawthorn first rounder isn't a high pick and it's produced a mixed history of players. 2014 shouldn't count because Carlton.

Thank you to Hawthorn for this one. If they'd held on to pick 19, our chances of getting Goddard would have dropped to zero. They really seem to like us a lot at the Hawks.

But, yes, Carlton must get their due thanks for this one.

Thank you to Hawthorn for this one. If they'd held on to pick 19, our chances of getting Goddard would have dropped to zero. They really seem to like us a lot at the Hawks.

But, yes, Carlton must get their due thanks for this one.
Carlton gifted us BJ too god love them.

I think we have looked after ourselves.

Cant control what others do, but can control what you do.

We selected Goddard with our available pick.

We selected Gresham after a trade involving Sydney

Roberton, Skunk and Mav as DFA's

Trade for Carlisle, Steele, Stevens, and Freeman at relatively small cost

Managed our SC to have huge $$$$

Have three first rounders to possibly trade due to good dp management.

Bains and Co have been masters and have stuck to the gameplan brilliantly over the past 3-4 trading and draft periods.

Watch this space for 2017..............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo we'll definitely be trading in a star, we can't afford to draft 2 first rounders this year because we'll end up losing players like sincs, lonie, battle, white ect either by trade or delisting coz they're not getting opportunities.

We can't afford to lose the depth (even the doggies lost a bit last year)

It's time to spread the age of our list, bringing in 1 elite player won't effect the team balance as much as bringing in 2 1st rounders would.

I'd hate to see us lose another top 25 pick because we cant blood them due to having "to much depth" if that makes sense.

Imo we'll definitely be trading in a star, we can't afford to draft 2 first rounders this year because we'll end up losing players like sincs, lonie, battle, white ect either by trade or delisting coz they're not getting opportunities.

It's time to spread the age of our list, bringing in 1 elite player won't effect the team balance as much as bringing in 2 1st rounders would.

I'd hate to see us lose another top 25 pick because we cant blood them due to having "to much depth" if that makes sense.

And that is exactly the plan.

That doesn't make sense. We're more likely to lose players by trading in as we still have to take at least two at the draft (three if we don't upgrade a rookie) whether we make trades or not. If we trade in a player that puts on a squeeze for spots and make selections later in the draft.

Scenario 1: Trade in a star for a first rounder. We take the minimum at the draft using first and third rounder (2nd is at GWS) = 3 spots required
Scenario 2: We keep both first rounders. We take the minimum at the draft using both first rounders = 2 spots required

Plus fringe players would be more threatened by a star player coming in ready to claim a spot in the 1st 22 rather than a first rounder who'll take time to develop.

What I think we will do is slide one first rounder down to pick up a player, with our second rounder gone I don't see us trading it out altogether.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense. We're more likely to lose players by trading in as we still have to take at least two at the draft (three if we don't upgrade a rookie) whether we make trades or not. If we trade in a player that puts on a squeeze for spots and make selections later in the draft.

Scenario 1: Trade in a star for a first rounder. We take the minimum at the draft using first and third rounder (2nd is at GWS) = 3 spots required
Scenario 2: We keep both first rounders. We take the minimum at the draft using both first rounders = 2 spots required

Plus fringe players would be more threatened by a star player coming in ready to claim a spot in the 1st 22 rather than a first rounder who'll take time to develop.

What I think we will do is slide one first rounder down to pick up a player, with our second rounder gone I don't see us trading it out altogether.

We are getting to the point where guys will leave for opportunity. If two new first rounders come in and you are fringe 22 you would be looking around. One new high profile recruit takes one definite spot in the 22 but then every one else drafted in is a newbie and would come from further back in the draft so no definite walk up.

At the end of this year we will be going all in to win a Premiership. We will trade our picks on a young gun mid if the opportunity presents itself. Keep an eye on Western Sydney.
While we need to keep drafting well and developing well there comes a stage when the focus shifts from rebuilding a list to winning a Premiership.

At the end of this year we will be going all in to win a Premiership. We will trade our picks on a young gun mid if the opportunity presents itself. Keep an eye on Western Sydney.
While we need to keep drafting well and developing well there comes a stage when the focus shifts from rebuilding a list to winning a Premiership.
Correct!!

the Rebuild should effectively be done - a competitive season and enjoyable finals campaign is what we should expect. The best teams however will pull ahead in games against us as their mids have more cream . So we will target and we WILL sign a top line midfielder.

Correct!!

the Rebuild should effectively be done - a competitive season and enjoyable finals campaign is what we should expect. The best teams however will pull ahead in games against us as their mids have more cream . So we will target and we WILL sign a top line midfielder.
One top level FA and a young gun up and comer will do nicely.

Spot on agree with this. The list management has to ramp up now. You have to speed it up to keep the list at the same age and at their peak. Otherwise it plateaus out and becomes stunted

Having said that I don't think he was arguing against that. Instead of think he was arguing against the idea that we need to do it so we don't lose players

Spot on agree with this. The list management has to ramp up now. You have to speed it up to keep the list at the same age and at their peak. Otherwise it plateaus out and becomes stunted

Having said that I don't think he was arguing against that. Instead of think he was arguing against the idea that we need to do it so we don't lose players
Do you still keep your list profile files updated? I remember you posting them a little while back with age, position, and depth at position (some other stuff too probably). Would love to have a look over it again if you have it :)

We will attract a gun mid - who it will be is the 64 million dollar question?

Do we get lucky and attract a free agent, (Fyfe, Martin) as well as a young mid OOC, (Shiel, Hopper, Kelly, etc)?? Can we afford both?

Great problem to have though....you can see why other clubs are looking over their shoulders at us

The Saints are coming

Back