News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is such a thing as "getting in front of the story" and "controlling the narrative"

We've done neither.

Our club (and the 3 accused) have been beaten to death by the media & public. Hung, drawn and quartered. Painted in the worst possible light. The accusations are heinous. But even if they are true, I'm sure there were extenuating circumstances why they acted the way they did. They were probably well-intentioned and thought they were looking out for the best interest of the players.

They've been made to look like monsters by the ABC article. Clarko has been portrayed as a crazed cult leader and Fagan & Burt as his evil henchman. Maybe they are??? But geez, did Reeves & co have to sit back like stunned mullets and watch it all unfold like this?

It just could've been handled better from the word go. A more proactive role in producing this report instead of leaving it all the hands of independent outsiders. Assurances could've been given to the families that it wouldn't be swept under the rug, that reparations would be made and punishments meted out to those charge. The families should've been convinced they'd be taken seriously so they didn't feel the need to go to the media prior to the investigation being completed.

That should've been one the objectives: keeping this under wraps until all the facts were known. Our club is forever stained by this story. Clarkson and Fagan's reputations have been destroyed without them even giving their version of events. Other clubs might have their own internal investigations and find similar heinous stories, but you can bet it won't become salacious fodder for the media.

It probably doesn't matter what else the AFL find from here in their own investigation. Everyone has made up their minds. This is only going to end one way.
Some good points - but I 'presume/suggest' that HFC's commissioned report provided anonymity for ALL, not just the former players, whereas Mr. Jackson or any journalist undertaking their own related enquiries is not under that purview.
This may also explain why our club or the AFL didn't give the three accused 'a head's up' prior to the release of the ABC article...

Exactly how do Hawthorn “control the narrative”.

This is going to hurt, but Hawthorn’s options were to face up to it or pretend it never happened.

When they chose to face up to it, rightly, they don’t get to control the narrative. They get to face some hard truths.

Now it is not established precisely what those truths are yet - that is going to take time - but this is not a PR exercise.
I already said how we could've controlled the narrative.

By running our own thorough investigation instead of handballing it over to outsiders... By giving the players and their families assurances they'd be taken seriously... that it wouldn't be swept under the rug and they would be compensated and those in charge would be punished. Financial settlements and confidentiality agreements should've been signed. They should've been kept in the loop that it was being passed on to the AFL and that it would be dealt with. The story should've been kept out of the papers until the AFL was ready to hand down their findings. Then and only then we should've done a controlled leak to a friendly journo to write up the story more objectively than the horror story published by the ABC.

We could've still faced up to the hard truths, like you say. But we didn't have to hand over the rope for the media to hang us with and make ourselves the poster boys of racism in Australia.

None of this was going to be easy. It was a brave and commendable step taken by Kennett & Reeves back in April/May to announce that we would investigate the accusations of racism and interview our indigenous past players. But short of whitewashing the matter, or sweeping it under the rug, this was literally the WORST possible way of handling this.

BTW, this is a PR exercise.. a public relations exercise by the mass media in branding Hawthorn as the most racist club in Australia because our coach veered well out of his lane 10 years ago and overreached in his dealings with three young fringe players on our list.

Last edited:
Some good points - but I 'presume/suggest' that HFC's commissioned report provided anonymity for ALL, not just the former players, whereas Mr. Jackson or any journalist undertaking their own related enquiries is not under that purview.
This may also explain why our club or the AFL didn't give the three accused 'a head's up' prior to the release of the ABC article...

I think it’s possible that the club were not aware that Jackson was doing his own research, and that the findings were going to be kept confidential, so that a full enquiry could be done.

To be clear, I'm not saying it has and to quote SYL's helpful summary atop this thread,

"Was the report leaked to the ABC's Russell Jackson?
This is unknown, however the AFL have identified that Jackson's article does include allegations that are not in the Egan report."

I feel like this part of Reeve's email is important

I think the club is trying to get ahead of the line from Clarkson and Fagan - "Why weren't we consulted before this went public", by answering "you would have been privately consulted" - and "we didn't intend for this to go public"
To be clear, you did say "As long as the Hawks, or anyone associated, weren't found to be the ones to leak this report - "

It hasn't been leaked.

By running our own thorough investigation instead of handballing it over to outsiders... By giving the players and their families assurances they'd be taken seriously... that it wouldn't be swept under the rug and they would be compensated and those in charge would be punished. Financial settlements and confidentiality agreements should've been signed. They should've been kept in the loop that it was being passed on to the AFL and that it would be dealt with. The story should've been kept out of the papers until the AFL was ready to hand down their findings. Then and only then we should've done a controlled leak to a friendly journo to write up the story more objectively than the horror story published by the ABC.

We didn't have to hand over the rope for the media to hang us with and make ourselves the poster boys of racism in Australia.

None of this was going to be easy. It was a brave and commendable step taken by Kennett & Reeves back in April/May to announce that we would investigate the accusations of racism and interview our indigenous past players. But short of whitewashing the matter, or sweeping it under the rug, this was literally the WORST possible way of handling this.

The story was always going to leak, unfortunately it was leaked before all parties were informed of the actual report.

I’m also pleased that we did hand over to outsiders, rather than try to do it internally. By handing it to outsiders, you can quite often get a clearer perspective of what actually happened. If the club had handled the investigation themselves, it would have been sweeping the issue under the rug, as it’s doubtful if the people being interviewed would be so accomodating and trusting in telling of their experiences. So your getting the result you want, rather than the result that is obviously needed. we as a club and as individuals need to be better in the way in how we treat everyone.

I do agree that it was a commendable step taken by the club to initiate an investigation into our past and present practices. I also appreciate that with the topics and allegations, that the club then took it to the Integrity unit for further investigation, as it was above their level of expertise, and it shows that we are looking to rectify and learn rather than bury and hide.

The story was always going to leak, unfortunately it was leaked before all parties were informed of the actual report.

I’m also pleased that we did hand over to outsiders, rather than try to do it internally. By handing it to outsiders, you can quite often get a clearer perspective of what actually happened. If the club had handled the investigation themselves, it would have been sweeping the issue under the rug, as it’s doubtful if the people being interviewed would be so accomodating and trusting in telling of their experiences. So your getting the result you want, rather than the result that is obviously needed. we as a club and as individuals need to be better in the way in how we treat everyone.

I do agree that it was a commendable step taken by the club to initiate an investigation into our past and present practices. I also appreciate that with the topics and allegations, that the club then took it to the Integrity unit for further investigation, as it was above their level of expertise, and it shows that we are looking to rectify and learn rather than bury and hide.
Look, I'm just some muppet looking from the outside in... I don't claim to have all the answers or the expertise. I just think it was poorly handled. The club should've anticipated a bombshell from the get-go... Planned for a worst case scenario and got on the front foot well before journos started snooping around.

Why couldn't they have had Phil Egan interview the players and provide Reeves with some updates, a few brief notes before writing his full report ? The club should've had greater transparency about what was unfolding and once they realised what had been uncovered, they could've taken whatever steps were necessary to keep this out of the public eye until everyone had been interviewed by the AFL.

I'm not taking Clarko's side for Fagan's side on this, but put yourself in their shoes. They haven't been given due process. People have said, "Russell Jackson gave them 24 hours to respond to his article." F**K that guy!!! Why the hell would they speak with him when they know he is writing a hit piece on them? They should've been given the chance to meet with Reeves and/or the AFL and tell their version of events before the story was made public.

Last edited:
Look, I'm just some muppet looking from the outside in... I don't claim to have all the answers or the expertise. I just think it was poorly handled. The club should've anticipated a bombshell from the get-go, planned for a worst case scenario and got on the front foot well before journos started snooping around.

Why couldn't they have had Phil Egan interview the players and provide Reeves with some updates, a few brief notes before writing his full report ? The club should've had greater transparency about what was unfolding and once they realised what had been uncovered, they could've taken whatever steps were necessary to keep this out of the public eye until everyone had been interviewed by the AFL.

I'm not taking Clarko's side for Fagan's side on this, but put yourself in their shoes. They haven't been given due process. People have said, "Russell Jackson gave them 24 hours to respond to his article." F**K that guy!!! Why the hell would they speak with him when they know he is writing a hit piece on them? They should've been given the chance to meet with Reeves and/or the AFL and tell their version of events before the story was made public.

To answer your question, if it involved the club then it wouldn’t have been an independent report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer your question, if it involved the club then it wouldn’t have been an independent report.
I'm sure there are ways for people to produce an independent report and maintain confidentiality for EVERYONE and prevent people running to the press like we saw in this instance. This is like a burn off which has quickly turned into a raging bushfire.

The club gave assurances to the families they'd keep their names confidential in the report; which is nice...
But the families haven't worried much about confidentiality by spilling their beans to the ABC journo and naming Clarkson, Fagan and Burt.

Not saying we could sweep this under the rug. Just control the story a bit better and not make our club a punching bag for the media.

Clarkson, Fagan and Burt worked at Hawthorn for 17 years and made enormous contribution to our club. Despite what people may think of those three now, it is poor form by the club to launch an investigation like it did and drop them in the shiit like it's done. We owe our people better than that.

Last edited:
There is such a thing as "getting in front of the story" and "controlling the narrative"

We've done neither.

Our club (and the 3 accused) have been beaten to death by the media & public. Hung, drawn and quartered. Painted in the worst possible light. The accusations are heinous. But even if they are true, I'm sure there were extenuating circumstances why they acted the way they did. They were probably well-intentioned and thought they were looking out for the best interest of the players.

They've been made to look like monsters by the ABC article. Clarko has been portrayed as a crazed cult leader and Fagan & Burt as his evil henchman. Maybe they are??? But geez, did Reeves & co have to sit back like stunned mullets and watch it all unfold like this?

It just could've been handled better from the word go. They could've taken a more proactive role in producing this report instead of leaving it all the hands of independent outsiders. Assurances could've been given to the families that it wouldn't be swept under the rug, that reparations would be made and punishments meted out to those charge. The families should've been convinced they'd be taken seriously so they didn't feel the need to go to the media prior to the investigation being completed.

That should've been one the objectives: keeping this under wraps until all the facts were known. Our club is forever stained by this story. Clarkson and Fagan's reputations have been destroyed without them even giving their version of events. Other clubs might have their own internal investigations and find similar heinous stories, but you can bet it won't become salacious fodder for the media.

It probably doesn't matter what else the AFL find from here in their own investigation. Everyone has made up their minds. This is only going to end one way.
Clarkson and Fagan's reputation have taken a big public hit.

But this is the AFL world and these things don't ruin a person at all.

James Hird brought in a sports scientist to drug cheat. Lost his job, but got paid a million bucks for a year off. Was welcomed back to assistant coaching and is now in line for the same job he did horrendously bad.

Ross Lyon was a key figure in the very hushed "St Kilda school girl" saga. Ross went on to have another coaching gig at Fremantle, numerous media gigs and is often talked about as a good target for vacant coaching roles.

Wayne Carey did a million things including abusing a woman. Paid gig to commentate (extremely poorly) on the biggest broadcaster.

John Worsfold won a premiership with a playing squad that had a whole raft of players with significant drug addictions. Some of them literally life threatening. Worsfold was deemed the person most appropriate to step in to caretake Essendon after the drug-experiment coach left.

So I think everyone is EXTREMELY overstating the reputational damage that will be done to Clarkson and Fagan - whilst completely downplaying the life damage done to the people who have been pressured to distance from family, partners and potential children .

All I ask is that the club cooperate fully with any investigation, be completely honest, and not attempt to cover up any wrongdoing. That was my problem with Essendon in the drugs scandal. Tell the truth, take our lumps (if appropriate), and see that any guilty parties receive appropriate penalties.

This will be better for all at the club moving forward. It's all about trust with me, and I'm a funny kind of guy. I tend to have more trust in my club than the AFL, and certainly more than the media. In the absence of both sides of the story being presented, I'm still prepared to believe what the club presents. I wouldn't support the club if I didn't believe in them.

One thing I will say is I've been disappointed with some of the so-called Hawthorn supporters on this forum who appear to be quite happy to accept everything the media tells them and allowing the good name and character of the Hawthorn Football Club to be attacked without fair trial.

As I said, if there are people within the club who should be held accountable for their actions, then by all means deal with them, but I will not stand by while people attack our entire football club. We have far too many great and honorable people to allow that to happen.

For what its worth, I think the Hawthorn Football Club have handled this very well so far, or as well as can be reasonably expected. They immediately recognised with the seriousness of the matter that they are conflicted in attempting to manage any investigation, and handed it over to a more independent process. The comments from past players and your current coach have also been very good, not dismissive or reactionary, just open to listening and very sad.

I also feel for passionate fans like you that have a great pride in the clubs achievements but now alongside the sorrow and disillusionment that has come following these stories. But the extraordinary performance of Hawthorn during the time also included acts of greatness, courage and sacrifice by many so the achievement can never be totally diminished.

I feel disillusioned and I’m not a Hawthorn supporter, but I have vested money and emotion in following the sport while not giving much thought to the darker side of professional sport and the ways it can chew up and spit out young people so callously. Anyway, I hope you are all doing okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could've still faced up to the hard truths, like you say. But we didn't have to hand over the rope for the media to hang us with and make ourselves the poster boys of racism in Australia.

BTW, this is a PR exercise.. a public relations exercise by the mass media in branding Hawthorn as the most racist club in Australia because our coach veered well out of his lane 10 years ago and overreached in his dealings with three young fringe players on our list.
If the truth comes out, I don’t care about whatever impact it has on the “PR exercise” rubbish you’re rabbiting on about. The club arranged via Egan to invite all indigenous players to speak confidentially about their experience. It’s a form of truth telling.

To suggest the club has done the wrong thing by handing over responsibility to the AFL to continue the investigation is to suggest we were able to handle it ourselves, which clearly we can’t and shouldn’t.

This issue is big enough that needs an independent body to continue to investigate. Frankly, the suggestion we should have organised confidentiality agreements and compensation to those affected is bordering on offensive.

I cannot conceive a scenario where it is OK for HFC staff to advise termination of pregnancy, that should never be their role
I also cannot find a way for it to be OK for HFC staff to change out a players SIM
There might be a scenario where it is reasonable to restrict family contact of a player.
However, as former teachers, the three former staff members named should have realised that family separation has a completely different meaning for First Nations people
As a direct result such separation is racist even if other players are treated in the same way

The club was right to commission the report and absolutely right to immediately pass it on to the AFL
The AFL may have dropped the ball by sitting on it for two weeks
The subsequent grisly enquiry will not be pleasant
I just hope that the worst of the dirty laundry has already been aired

Better late than never.

You have to wonder why it took the CEO 48 hours to produce this message to the world (instead of that inadequate wish-washy crap they previously published on the website.)

Reeves received and read the report 2 weeks ago and forwarded it to the AFL. He's had follow up conversations about it with Gillon McLachlan and known in advance there would be a full AFL investigation.

So why weren't they pre-prepared for the inevitable leak? The story was going to be made public sooner or later, with or without the ABC's investigative journos. They should've been ready for the shitstorm. Essendon would've hired Melbourne's top PR firm weeks ago.

I get the feeling our club is run by amateurs in way over their heads. It's commendable that we wanted to get to the bottom of this and right the wrongs. But it's coming at a massive cost to the club. Irreparable damage has been done (and will continue to be done.)

It could've been handled way better.

Probably because he was advised to until the lawyers finished assessing the situation

This is how I feel as well. I've been a football supporter since the mid-60s, followed Hawthorn since 1968. I'm an old-fashioned supporter, to me it's all about the game. That's what football is, a game. I grew up in a non-professional era where clubs could only do so much for you. If you had a personal problem, you pretty much had to deal with it the best way you could ... a time where all players (rightly or wrongly) were treated the same way.

However, over the years the "game" has been over-run by so-called professionalism, an over-zealous media who think they own the game, lawyers, politics, etc. Very little in football is about the actual game anymore. It annoys me (to a degree) that the AFL appears to be more interested in being a moral watchdog than running a fair and equitable competition.

In a week which should be all about Geelong, Sydney, and the Grand Final, the news is being dominated by yet another "scandal". Surely this could have waited another week. It's not the game I used to love, and if it wasn't for my love and admiration of the Hawthorn Football Club, I would have walked away from the game years ago.

What planet do you live on - if you believe that then you are seriously living in a fantasy land

I’ve seen enough of your posts lately, to know exactly what you are

What planet do you live on - if you believe that then you are seriously living in a fantasy land

I’ve seen enough of your posts lately, to know exactly what you are
At least try to comprehend before insulting me. I was talking about time when attitudes were entirely different as they are now. If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore (as I have with you), but no need to insult me simple because you don't agree. Last I checked, this is a forum, and that entitles people to their opinion .... even if may not agree.

At least try to comprehend before insulting me. I was talking about time when attitudes were entirely different as they are now. If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore (as I have with you), but no need to insult me simple because you don't agree. Last I checked, this is a forum, and that entitles people to their opinion .... even if may not agree.
Well said I tend to agree with what you have said in your recent posts. The allegations are shocking and if proven true Clarkson, Fagan and Burt should be booted out of the game. However to be fair they have not even be able to reply to what has been alleged.

Are we able to put the pitch forks down until a thorough investigation has been carried out.

This is how I feel as well. I've been a football supporter since the mid-60s, followed Hawthorn since 1968. I'm an old-fashioned supporter, to me it's all about the game. That's what football is, a game. I grew up in a non-professional era where clubs could only do so much for you. If you had a personal problem, you pretty much had to deal with it the best way you could ... a time where all players (rightly or wrongly) were treated the same way.
This is so far from true
However, over the years the "game" has been over-run by so-called professionalism, an over-zealous media who think they own the game, lawyers, politics, etc. Very little in football is about the actual game anymore. It annoys me (to a degree) that the AFL appears to be more interested in being a moral watchdog than running a fair and equitable competition.
This reads like you're upset that people worry about things like racist behaviour now
In a week which should be all about Geelong, Sydney, and the Grand Final, the news is being dominated by yet another "scandal". Surely this could have waited another week. It's not the game I used to love, and if it wasn't for my love and admiration of the Hawthorn Football Club, I would have walked away from the game years ago.
A "scandal" Jesus Christ dude
Your previous post read really badly

This time you are talking about with all players treated the same never existed.

From hawthorn refusing to draft anyone with with too much melanin in their skin. To constant racial abuse from both crowds and fellow footballers. Plus so much more.

What’s different now is this behaviour is being called out rather than ignored. And steps have been implemented to remove these horrible elements from our game.

Couldn't agree more.
Independent welfare workers are a necessity- as weird as it sounds it would make sense for AFL clubs to have social workers, just as much as it makes sense that they have Psychologists.

Allowing clubs to organise their own is a little lite the Church being allowed to airlift a chaplain into government school... It doesn't sit right and could lead to too many biases.

A few thoughts...

Indigenous PDMs are mandatory in clubs from early 2022 on the back of the regular meetings Gillon has with Indigenous players.
AFL welcomes Indigenous Player Development Managers & announces partnership with Australian Indigenous Psychologists Association

There are some Social Workers in some clubs, Essendon have a terrific Mental (who can counsel) Health Social Worker who is also an AFLW coach and is hugely impressive. Social Work brings a Code of Ethics and Practice Standards that includes a big focus on First Nations people and diversity. AFLPA just appointed a SW to head AFLW. Collingwood have another impressive person as their IPDM in the social health field and is their runner. Don't forget, SW's were involved in the Stolen Generation and there is a need to be mindful of this when working with families. SWs are terrible at understanding each other let alone plonking one in sport. I have had AFL people say SWs are essential and others in HR positions say they have no place at a club.

It is promising the AFL met Joel Wilkinson this week as reported. To turn up at AFL House and ask for a meeting takes courage. To treat a player of Wilkinson's background is different to an Aboriginal person, compared to a Torres Strait person and of course the language groups, cultures, Nations. Former soccer player and now Union Chair Francis Awaritefe advised the Do Better Report, my guess is for his personal background with Lumumba/Wilkinson in mind.

There is a need to learn the specifics of the individual you are working with to ensure your good intent is respectful instead of what seems the Jeff/Eddie approach of imposing your good and misguided attempts.

Not to tip it on Clarkson but I wonder what Connor Glass thought of the Irish trope that announced his debut. Many will dismiss it but my understanding is that it would not be well received. Power imbalance between player and coach is huge and you can't de-identify that in a club setting.

I believe HFC employed a support worker for Amos Frank, it sounds like a great commitment, I think Frank supported it - well ahead of it's time. I recall Jordan Lewis saying they used words he taught them at centre bounce discussion so opposition players had no idea what the plan was. I recall a story that Frank put on weight and they couldn't work out why... he was going to the fruit shop regularly as I guess the dietitian said it was an 'eat more' part of the diet pyramid. He must have had a lot of glucose!

Working in this area has hugely complex and this area, to me, is like trying to replicate a small community health service in a high performance environment, it has the potential for so many interpretations and pitfalls but also structure and best practice. People need to be supported. To think a PDM is going to save the day all the time or not make mistakes is not reality. Coaches, why don't they have their PDMs? 1-2 staff members at the AFLCA for 18 clubs of 8-10 coaches across each club. People in the media say the AFLCA should be disbanded... for wellbeing, that would be risky - who are Clarkson and Fagan and Burt for that matter calling on for support?

To me, a PDM needs to be treated differently to other parts of the football department, not restricted by a salary cap and certainly not in terms of professional practice and the coaches need to understand and accept this. By all means, anyone in the club (or a player manager) needs to know that they can go to a PDM confidentially and pass on concerns. Closer to the players, dietitian, doctor of course, physio, trainers, massues etc are all part of a health service really. All these people should be seen as as safe network. Someone said the PDM should be outside the club, cricket have their PDMs within the union I believe. To pick up on subtle things and being there for people, there is value in being physically there.

Ideal wellbeing team, for mine, SW, clinical psychologist and former player (with something substantial behind them) and IPDM.

An experienced CEO said to me, the AFL either leads or it lags... its tough when these things clash.

While the HFC teachers studied 10-15 years before me as someone said, familiarity with First Nation issues are part of the degree. Even so, the AFL would have great access to various people/opportunities ie NT off-season tours like Roughy and others did.

Google tells me this was first around in 2014. Such a great reference. Heaps of learning in here if you are interested...
Players’ Update Many Stories, One Goal | AFL Players' Association
Featuring Jermaine Miller-Lewis' artwork.
INDIGENOUS_BEST_PRACTICE_GUIDELINES_2016-1.pdf (aflplayers.com.au)

If anyone can copy the text of this article and dm me, I would be grateful.

Hawthorn racism: How a lame joke from club president Jeff Kennett triggered Cyril Rioli to say ‘enough’ | The West Australian
Hawthorn racism: How a lame joke from club president Jeff Kennett triggered Cyril Rioli to say ‘enough’

I write all this in a rush with kids needing my attention, I hope this comes across okay. Hopefully it is helpful in an area I take an interest in.

Sorry for war and peace.

Take care.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back