Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Jaeger. Had been disappointing for Freo so far this year, but played his best game tonight.

Of course he did…

as did Luke Jackson who has barely got a kick all season.. 24 touches, 16 contested, 6 marks, 7 tackles and 2 goals..

You can put this commentator line on repeat every week this season..it’s been said just about every week in the broadcast

“Player X has had a career best game today/tonight”

Of course he did…

as did Luke Jackson who has barely got a kick all season.. 24 touches, 16 contested, 6 marks, 7 tackles and 2 goals..

You can put this commentator line on repeat every week this season..it’s been said just about every week in the broadcast

“Player X has had a career best game today/tonight”
Wait til we make Mitch Lewis look like the Coleman winner.

H
He would get a game at every club. Plays a full season last year he's kicking 50 plus goals. The problem is there's nobody else down there remotely threatening except for an aging Breust. We have barely any decent talls on the list. All our senior players in key position posts are undersized except for Lewis. I'd be tempted to draft the best Key position player in the draft over Harley Reid. That's how dire things are.
All we seem to recruit is small midfielders that aren’t cutting the mustard and have absolutely nothing up front.

Going to keep repeating it until it gets done. Our recruiters need an overhaul. They have one job. So many wasted picks.

Has DGB been dropped twice now this season ?
If he can’t get a game in front of Frost it’s got to be very concerning.
Even the highest draft picks don’t come with guarantees of making the grade …

They should throw him forward. The current forward line is dysfunctional, but maybe with his height and agility, he can at least compete and bring the ball to the ground.

I’m surprised Blanck can’t get a game in defence. He is no star but at least a big body who seemed dependable one-on-one last season. At least it can free Sicily up as well to do his thing.

Last edited:
Has DGB been dropped twice now this season ?
If he can’t get a game in front of Frost it’s got to be very concerning.
Even the highest draft picks don’t come with guarantees of making the grade …
Another dud but some Hawthorn people seem to think he’ll get better with time….

Once again recruiters got it wrong

Dont you have a "Voss must go" thread on your own board to participate in ?

28 years of April domination. Id rather we peak later in the year, personally.

I come in here and give some well deserved praise and all I get is this hostility.

Lighten up man, the Hawks won the CENTRE CLEARANCES!!

I come in here and give some well deserved praise and all I get is this hostility.

Lighten up man, the Hawks won the CENTRE CLEARANCES!!

Not hostility. Id love to swap spines. With our mids, your spine, our coach we would never lose.

But with your spine, mids and coach you only seem to do well against terrible teams.

Do you get to play us twice?

Not hostility. Id love to swap spines. With our mids, your spine, our coach we would never lose.

But with your spine, mids and coach you only seem to do well against terrible teams.

Hate to break it to you but your mids are nowhere near the same level as Carlton’s mids. They got taught a lesson last night.

Coach? Well you may have them covered there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I agree the midfield is starting to come together, is Worpel the future though? Looks to me as being the weak link in that foursome

O’Meara would be far better at Hawthorn than Worpel. He was their captain after all, so could at least provide some leadership for the mids.

I think I heard at one stage Worpel was going at 17% by foot.

We actually have a spine. Mitchell just doesn't want to play them and would rather Frost and his stuff ups and Sicily with his loose checking half arsed efforts. I love Sic but am getting sick and tired of him lining up at a key post instead of what he should be doing. The Tom Stewart role. Don't mind Scrimshaw forward TBH. Can take a mark and is tall enough to warrant a tallish defender. Needs to continue with it moving forward.

Did the Carlton mids win the centre clearances ?

:)

What counts as a clearance:

Clearance: Credited to the player who has the first effective disposal in a chain that clears the stoppage area, or an ineffective kick or clanger kick that clears the stoppage area.

The second part is what matters.

While I agree the midfield is starting to come together, is Worpel the future though? Looks to me as being the weak link in that foursome
He’s been very good, but I’m not certain. Uncontracted at the end of the year.

Last edited:
He's not the future. But he (and Nash) are more experienced, maturer bodies that can be used in the midfield rotations to help take the pressure off younger, more talented players.

Mitchell obviously feels this is a better way to develop them than with Mitchell and O’Meara. I was critical of it at the time, but for now I think he’d be happy with how this is panning out.

We actually have a spine. Mitchell just doesn't want to play them and would rather Frost and his stuff ups and Sicily with his loose checking half arsed efforts. I love Sic but am getting sick and tired of him lining up at a key post instead of what he should be doing. The Tom Stewart role. Don't mind Scrimshaw forward TBH. Can take a mark and is tall enough to warrant a tallish defender. Needs to continue with it moving forward.

We have a spine?? Who?? This is who we have at Box Hill that can come in..none of the below are making us a better team currently and there is no one else coming through.

DGB- more likely to be playing at another club next season. Josh weddle is now in front of him. Another pick 6 bust to add to our honour board alongside Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler

Blanck- stuck at VFL and won’t play whilst Sam Frost is on the list. Frost is contracted until the end of 2024.

Jacob Koschitzke- simply not good enough at AFL level and never will be. Has cement hands and horrendous kick for goal.

Max Ramsden- great to see him debut last week but as I’ve previously written, he’s 2-3 years off playing consistently at AFL level. Needs 2 years in the gym.

We have the worst key position depth across both back and forward lines in the competition and have for the past 5 seasons.

Mitchell would be combing the ranks for some leadership potential.
Sicily has always been an undisciplined player and once again set the tone early last night with a petulant 50m penalty.
Manning up and chasing aren’t really to his liking either.
As senior players in defence last night, Sicily and Frost were appalling.
Mitchell would be desperate for DGB to show something … anything …

Their punishment will come from the cultural damage of sending lambs out to the slaughter. A rebuild of this magnitude occasionally works, but backfires more often than not. Stripping your list back isn’t tanking, they’re still sending the players out there to try and win. Managing guns, including a young gun, in week 8 is hilarious though.

Back