Herald Sun Superfooty is a f*****g disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think that we believe we're the only ones who cop it, but naturally our focus is on our club. Don't want to play any 'woe is me' card - just frustrating that what could be promoted as a fantastic advertisement for dynamic, young, running footy (AFL!) gets sucked into a baser discussion. Unfortunately, that's the media!
sorry - wasnt coming in here trying the old 'woe is me' story - i was just comparing how those *******s down there can't handle interstaters spoiling the show.

have been to a few of your games this year (i loathe to watch sydney, and a mate has membership tickets) so i'll naturally be riding the bandwagon home this season. if any of you on here sit in the members stand on the second level, I was the west coast fan that almost fell to my death after i tripped off my chair when naitanui kicked that last second goal

sorry - wasnt coming in here trying the old 'woe is me' story - i was just comparing how those *******s down there can't handle interstaters spoiling the show.

have been to a few of your games this year (i loathe to watch sydney, and a mate has membership tickets) so i'll naturally be riding the bandwagon home this season. if any of you on here sit in the members stand on the second level, I was the west coast fan that almost fell to my death after i tripped off my chair when naitanui kicked that last second goal
Yeah we're just a bit defensive right now.
Do get it's an interstate thing in the big picture, and you clearly appreciate good footy.
The Natanui goal not a highlight for me but only the great players make things happen at times like that. Must be a different part of the ground I missed it, reasonable response though as long as you weren't injured. Probably would have noticed the pain much later anyway I guess.
Your welcome on our board of course, just a bit wary of trolls.

yeah thats all fair and good.

its interesting to see how the perception changes over time - I'm a school teacher, and 3 years ago, when teaching in Bondi, all the kids thought they knew AFL (mostly roosters fans and bandwagon swans fans) and were saying how GWS were so bad they wouldnt survive. I said to them, wait 3-4 years, and then they'll win 5 premierships in 10 years. I can remember to this day how much they mocked me. they aint laughing now

Yeah we're just a bit defensive right now.
Do get it's an interstate thing in the big picture, and you clearly appreciate good footy.
The Natanui goal not a highlight for me but only the great players make things happen at times like that. Must be a different part of the ground I missed it, reasonable response though as long as you weren't injured. Probably would have noticed the pain much later anyway I guess.
Your welcome on our board of course, just a bit wary of trolls.

you boys think you had it rough? you shoulda seen the Herald Sun on the Thursday before last years GF. Dropped all the Daniel Chick news, Cuzzy in trouble, our 06 premiership being tainted. Funny how they waited till the last thursday of the season to do it

I think that was a bit of ammo to use against Worsfold too as he was set to be our coach and we were a great headline at the time.

More and more the media are focusing on negative stories in the lead up/during a finals series. When they should be focusing on the positive or remarkable stories.

Instead of lines about GWS making their maiden finals series it was all about Whitfield, and now they are going too far the other way trying to build the dogs up to being the team all of Australia wants to win.

Count me in the camp that wants a GWS flag, 1 due to the way the young guys play, 2 because of the pain it will cause some people in Melbourne.

Even Gerard Whately who is normally fairly balanced was having a good laugh at our members today on Offsiders and whether they actually existed with his much more masculine colleague Caroline Wilson.

That show should be renamed "The Nerd, Bush Pig, and Geek Assembly" but they're cracking jokes??

I like Gerard and especially enjoy watching him with Robbo on AFL 360, but if he were correct to imply (as he seems to be) that our membership number is inflated, you'd expect to find our average non-derby home crowd to be a much smaller percentage of our membership total than is the case with other clubs.

In fact, you find the opposite. Our non-derby home crowd average is 75% of our membership total. An average of 11,412 turned up to homes games not involving the swans from a membership base of 15,312. Only two clubs did better (Gold Coast and Adelaide).

On this measure, Victorian clubs range from a high of 60% (St Kilda) to a low of 34% (Collingwood).

Collingwood drew an average of 25,365 to home games not involving another Victorian club from an official membership base of 74,683. Gerard's beloved Geelong drew an average of 23,205 to home games not involving Victorian clubs from an official membership base of 50,571.

Just how fudged are these Victorian membership tallies?

:D

Last edited:
Reading through some more threads on our forum, all I can say in regards to this one is that drama sells a lot more than facts do. Facts bore people, unless they're used out of context for dramatic or inflammatory reasons.

We didn't get the win, of course, but we certainly got respect from some of the neutrals around the place. We're always going to be mocked to some degree, and hated by many if and when we succeed. This is something we're just going to have to live with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back