Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State?

Remove this Banner Ad

Republicans are still trusted as much or more than Dems on foreign policy

This is true, if Obama's term starts out like Bush's, BO is going to look a whole lot more like a republican than most of those lefty's ever could of thought possible.America really is a center right country.If its attacked again forget about everything you thought.Thats when the USA hits autopilot/military pilot

President Obama will be slightly more likely to authorize airstrikes against Iran than a President McCain would have been.)

This is very interesting, but I think not.Remember Israel is always more than willing.Israel wont care for political correctness if Iran gets much closer to having nukes as it is.

a succession of young liberal judges who will tilt the Supreme Court leftward for a generation

The right is already on their knees praying about this one

Politico:

President-elect Barack Obama is "on track" to name Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) as his secretary of state shortly after Thanksgiving, two senior Obama aides said.

Financial disclosure issues have been worked out, aides said.

The officials said they expect her to accept. Clinton aides had no comment.

The choice unites the two rivals in the most protracted presidential primary in American history, giving Obama the "Team of Rivals" Cabinet he had promised.

Former President Bill Clinton authorized unprecedented disclosures about his finances to Obama's vetting team, and transition lawyers are satisfied, officials said.

Heh heh. Heh heh. Heh heh.

The whited sepulchre must choose: Hitch or Hilary!

Christopher Hitchens appeared on "Hardball" Monday night and voiced his strong opposition to Hillary Clinton being named Secretary of State.
Appearing with Peter Beinart of Time, who is for Clinton's appointment, Hitchens said, "This is the woman who played the race card on Obama... This is the woman whose foreign policy experience consists of making a fool of herself and fabricating a story about Bosnia."
He also brought up the Clintons' overseas fundraising connections and called the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State a "ludicrous embarrassment."
A longtime critic of the Clintons, Hitchens wrote the 2000 book "No One Left To Lie To: The Values of the Worst Family."

Christopher Hitchens appeared on "Hardball" Monday night and voiced his strong opposition to Hillary Clinton being named Secretary of State.
Appearing with Peter Beinart of Time, who is for Clinton's appointment, Hitchens said, "This is the woman who played the race card on Obama... This is the woman whose foreign policy experience consists of making a fool of herself and fabricating a story about Bosnia."
He also brought up the Clintons' overseas fundraising connections and called the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State a "ludicrous embarrassment."
A longtime critic of the Clintons, Hitchens wrote the 2000 book "No One Left To Lie To: The Values of the Worst Family."

Imagine Hitchens accusing someone else of being a 'ludicrous embarrassment'.

Hitch is just going to have to eat it, like the rest of you. After all, he too endorsed the great conman :D

Politico:

White House political office will remain
By CAROL E. LEE

Obama answered calls for the disbandment of the White House office central to the Karl Rove-style politics he once condemned. The office stays.

President-elect Barack Obama has answered bipartisan calls for the disbandment of the White House office central to the Karl Rove-style politics the Democrat condemned as a candidate. The office stays.

Patrick Gaspard, a New Yorker and longtime labor operative, will head the Office of Political Affairs, the Obama transition announced on Friday.

Gaspard was national political director for the Obama campaign and has been an associate director for personnel for the transition.

The office he will oversee has been strongly denounced by some Republicans and Democrats, including Obama's former opponent Sen. John McCain, who vowed to abolish the office if he were elected, and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.), who issued a report last month recommending its elimination.

Obama had remained largely silent on the office's future in his administration – both during the campaign and in the first few weeks of transition.

An Obama transition spokeswoman said that keeping the office open does not mean the president-elect will default on his campaign promise to change politics-as-usual in Washington, which as a candidate he dubbed the "perpetual campaign."

"An Obama White House will be focused on meeting the next challenge, not winning the next election," transition spokeswoman Jen Psaki wrote in an e-mail Friday evening. "That is what he promised in the campaign and that is how he will govern."

But wait. There's more.

The Office of Political Affairs was created by President Ronald Reagan. And while it has been criticized for as long, it has also been staffed by every president since.

Opponents of the office argue that a partisan political office has no business being in the White House.

“It’s not an office that should be subsidized by taxpayers, and it should not be part of the White House itself,” said Craig Holman, a lobbyist with the government watchdog group Public Citizen. The office has no benefit for the public, he said.

“I’m really disappointed,” Holman said of Obama’s decision. “I really didn’t think he was going to keep it.”

Heh heh. Heh heh. Heh heh.

Hillary's extensive foreign affairs experience explained with cartoons:

bagleyIwoJima3-28-08.gif

hillary_in_bosnia_lk0325d.jpg

anderson-clinton-cartoon.jpg

Change we can believe in. :rolleyes:

On a more positive note, the choice of Geithner is a smart one, a moderate centrist, with experience, but not too old. Smart move. Clinton on the other hand...

Hitchens is right of course. Is that man ever wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: Hitch's work is certainly better on religious matters, however, Hitch isn't the raging neo-con people paint him out to be.

For the first thirty five years of his life Hitch was an ardent Marxist. He was editor of New Left Review for ten years. No sentient being could think he was a crazed Neo-Con. It is just the contrast between what he used to say about the "American Imperialist project" and his embrace of the Bush Doctrine that has got people wincing.

For someone that knows something about philosophy his attacks on religion are juvenile - but the bastard can write still!

He doesn't know much at all about philosophy,but he is an excellent literary critic(which seems to pass as philosophy these days). As you say his prose gets him outta jail

Have you read Paul Tillich my absurdist friend? Rather good really.

Tillich is the schiznit mate!!!

I fall in love with Hitch again everytime I pick up anything he writes

For the first thirty five years of his life Hitch was an ardent Marxist. He was editor of New Left Review for ten years. No sentient being could think he was a crazed Neo-Con. It is just the contrast between what he used to say about the "American Imperialist project" and his embrace of the Bush Doctrine that has got people wincing.

For someone that knows something about philosophy his attacks on religion are juvenile - but the bastard can write still!

Neo-cons with their project for the American century have a focus for a grand pax Americana, and fighting the Muslims means that America maintains it's status as world superpower. It has nothing to do with the Muslims and all about them. I don't for a second believe that Hitch actually cares about pax yankee, he just wants to defeat Islamism because he thinks it causes terrorism and he hates Islam. Hitch, Bush and Falwell make for uneasy bedfellows.

Contra, who does give a good critique?

Neo-cons with their project for the American century have a focus for a grand pax Americana, and fighting the Muslims means that America maintains it's status as world superpower. It has nothing to do with the Muslims and all about them. I don't for a second believe that Hitch actually cares about pax yankee, he just wants to defeat Islamism because he thinks it causes terrorism and he hates Islam. Hitch, Bush and Falwell make for uneasy bedfellows.

Contra, who does give a good critique?

Of the so-called "New Athiests" I like Dennett and Onfray best and Pier Giorgio Odifreddi who wrote a fantastic article entitled "We cannot be Christians and above all not Catholics".

As I say if I had to choose between Dawkins and Hitch - I would always go Hitch because he writes magnificently and has a sense of humour [except when it comes to himself]

Of the so-called "New Athiests" I like Dennett and Onfray best and Pier Giorgio Odifreddi who wrote a fantastic article entitled "We cannot be Christians and above all not Catholics".

As I say if I had to choose between Dawkins and Hitch - I would always go Hitch because he writes magnificently and has a sense of humour [except when it comes to himself]

Dennett is quality, he's the best of the four hosemen.

Doesn't Onfray do the same thing as Hitch? Just spiel a rant that religion is stupid and just a reflection of social wants? The atheist manifesto plays similar to god is not great IMO.

Gee, Pseudo, seeing as you brought up Palin's name in the initial post, I thought the 'boyos' and 'girlos' would get a kick out of this little effort:

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/geoffelliott/index.php/theaustralian/comments/palin_press_conference_and_the_coen_brothers/

Warning: This video shows cruelty to turkeys :D:D

Sarah Palin: the gift that keeps on giving.
From ABC (US) News:

I start this thread to give the boyos an opportunity to surpass the Palin-hate threads.

I'd be surprised if Clinton were made Sec of State.
How could you get it so wrong? :confused: Well at least I hope you're pleasantly surprised! :) I think she'll be a wonderful SecState! :thumbsu:

art.clinton.pool.jpg

Obama Rolls Out National Security Team

updated 20 minutes ago

• Story Highlights
  • President-elect says Hillary Clinton has his "complete confidence"
  • Obama says team will make "new beginning" for national security
  • Obama keeping Robert Gates as defense secretary
  • Obama names Eric Holder as attorney general
(CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama on Monday announced Sen. Hillary Clinton as his pick for secretary of state, calling her an "American of tremendous stature who will have my complete confidence."

"Hillary's appointment is a sign to friend and foe of the seriousness of my commitment to renew American diplomacy and restore our alliances," Obama said at a news conference in Chicago, Illinois. "I have no doubt that Hillary Clinton is the right person to lead our State Department and to work with me in tackling this ambitious foreign policy agenda."

Obama also confirmed that he is keeping Defense Secretary Robert Gates in his current post.

Rounding out his Monday announcements, Obama named retired Marine Gen. Jim Jones as his national security adviser, Eric Holder as attorney general, Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano as homeland security secretary and Susan Rice as ambassador to the United Nations. Cont...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back