How Crow Can You Go? An Adelaide Football Club Saga

Where will Adelaide finish?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I read and saw about Smith was about his meticulous preparation in terms of fitness and diet while trying to get drafted. To his credit he is as AFL ready as you can be coming from a junior program, Walsh is similar.

As I said, happy if he proves me wrong, just didn't see the same upside as with players that are nowhere near AFL ready in terms of fitness when they are drafted.

Smith is very solid mate, his ability in the forward line is what will make him dangerous. Certainly has a little more x factor than Walsh in terms of explosiveness. My main concern of Smith was his composure in traffic, if he fixes those issues, he will be a very good midfielder.

Indeed. Recent example demons traded a pick that could have landed Josh Kelly for lesser picks that landed them Tyson and Salem.

The Josh Kelly example always gets thrown up.

There's every chance the player could be just a decent role player. North selected LDU with pick 4, who was rated as the best midfielder by quite a few in the draft class of 2017. At the moment, looks like he'll only be a serviceable midfielder. Hasn't shown enough to suggest he's going to be a star of the competition.

In summary, the draft is a lottery.

Yes for Carlton it has, finals are over for you guys, there are no more motivation for the old players (who are still in your best top 5 players and you don't have a core quality group in the 25-27 range so the youngsters will struggle after the break), lucky GC banked 3 wins early in the season including winning a 8 point game against you.....my last respond to your post here, bye.

Bye!

I decided to go and ask SOS personally. He told me in confidence they rated Stocker Pick 6 last year behind Walsh BSOS Finbar Rankine & Caldwell. Ranked him Pick One in this years draft.

Had already done a deal to trade this years first round pick from Adelaide for Taranto & Caldwell.

He and the club are very happy.

Hinted next years second round pick for Papley & Cameron. Cunnigham as a FA

Next years first will be used for a Crouch brother

Jokes aside, I would actually be interested to know where the club rated Finbar as a prospect.

If we took him in the national draft, we must have rated him somewhere in the top 60 prospects.

We made a late trade with Adelaide giving up pick 64. The Crows took Lachlan Sholl with that pick. Thought he would have been a good prospect to develop across half back in an area of need for our club. Instead we took Finbar, a 3rd tall utility that we seem to have a surplus of.

It's strange how we don't seem to have many small forwards, yet we pass on Boyd Woodcock and Toby Bedford. Yes, I know Bedford is an academy player but we didn't even place the bid and attempt to pick him.

Lachie Young looks a promising proposition as a rebounding defender with good pace and disposal. Pick #6 in the rookie draft. Once again, an area of need.

A few others including Tom McKenzie, Damon Greaves and Sydney Stack that could also have filled a need across half back.

I just find it strange that we selected such a project player in an area of surplus.

Last edited:
Right now there is little to no qualitative evidence.
The only evidence we have a substantial amount of is quantitative.

There is no evidence that confirms your claim re Stocker’s rating by other clubs. That information is simply not available to the public. That you think there is, is what demonstrates your poor quality reasoning.

Jokes aside, I would actually be interested to know where the club rated Finbar as a prospect.

If we took him in the national draft, we must have rated him somewhere in the top 60 prospects.

We made a late trade with Adelaide giving up pick 64. The Crows took Lachlan Sholl with that pick. Thought he would have been a good prospect to develop across half back in an area of need for our club. Instead we took Finbar, a 3rd tall utility that we seem to have a surplus of.

It's strange how we don't seem to have many small forwards, yet we pass on Boyd Woodcock and Toby Bedford. Yes, I know Bedford is an academy player but we didn't even place the bid and attempt to pick him.

Lachie Young looks a promising proposition as a rebounding defender with good pace and disposal. Pick #6 in the rookie draft. Once again, an area of need.

A few others including Tom McKenzie, Damon Greaves and Sydney Stack that could also have filled a need across half back.

I just find it strange that we selected such a project player in an area of surplus.
Just on that trade. You should have seen the look on Chris Scotts face when Crows did the deal with Carlton to take Scholl. They were going to pick him with their selection until Crows pipped them.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is no evidence that confirms your claim re Stocker’s rating by other clubs. That information is simply not available to the public. That you think there is, is what demonstrates your poor quality reasoning.

There simply is evidence.
Multiple clubs passed multiple times.
That is evidence clearly says he wasn't 2nd rated by all the teams like your mate seems to want to keep repeating.

Its pretty bloody obvious to anyone without bias.
Carlton are lying if they said had him 2nd on their list.

I haven’t seen any of yesterday’s game apart from scores, but by all reports pretty ordinary game. I have seen a couple of games this year from them that were very underwhelming.

We certainly havent been great
This weekends game should just be ignored. Ross Lyon made it the most disgusting version of football imaginable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Number of picks per club up to pick 19.

Adelaide 2
Brisbane 0
Carlton 1
Collingwood 1
Essendon 0
Fremantle 1
Geelong 1
Gold Coast 3
GWS 2
Hawthorn 0
Melbourne 0
North Melb 1
Port Adel 3
Richmond 0
St Kilda 1
Sydney 1
West Bulldogs 1
WCE 0

Four teams had two or more picks. Six teams hadn't had a pick.

How do you know Stocker wasn't the next pick for ANY team?

How do you know that he was?
No team was picking Stocker over King, Rankine, Luko, Walsh etc.
He wasnt 2nd on anybody's list....lets be honest.

Hell he was 6th or 7th on Carlton's list (according to people here who are apparently in the know) and they rated him higher than anyone else.

The odds of Stocker being 2nd on those clubs lists is worse than you winning lottery 10 times straight.

Anyway its kinda irrelevant. As i've said he is the most minor part of the trade. The pick (where it is and who is chosen) both ways is the main part of the trade.

Last edited:
Again your expectations, twisting of facts and lastly a deflection

If you are not satisfied, only highlighting areas of concern, that need improvement without acknowledging any improvements we have made, then perhaps it's time to hand in your membership

You're big on telling other fans what they should do.

Very high opinion you have of yourself.

“Some of your own supporters”

So because some supporters agree with you, you must be right?

I’m sure I can find an Adelaide fan who thinks your club is a basket case.

Are they right?

What a ridiculous thing to suggest.

And there are no navy blue glasses here. I’m just using logic.

I am fully prepared to admit we may have rated Stocker higher than anyone else.

And again I will say it’s not relevant, as we rated him at 6 and I’d be filthy if we weren’t prepared to back ourselves in.

You keep saying you have evidence, yet you haven’t put forward any.

So I’ll ask again. What evidence do you have?

I note you completely ignored the scenario I put forward re: Carlton having 3 picks in the early stages of the draft. I wonder why...

Evidence: MULTIPLE TEAMS PICKED MULTIPLE PLAYERS BEFORE STOCKER. MOST TEAMS PICKED AT LEAST ONE OTHER PLAYER BEFORE STOCKER.
They cannot POSSIBLY have had him 2nd choice.
Logic dictates that a number of the players selected in the top 18 would have also been on other team's lists ahead of Stocker.

This is as clear as day. There is no debate. If you can't see that evidence then I dont know what else I can say.

You literally said yourself that you think CFC had him rated highest (at 6) so how can you contradict that and assume that teams had him above that on their lists? Remembering that 6th for CFC is dependent on what they were looking for

Evidence: MULTIPLE TEAMS PICKED MULTIPLE PLAYERS BEFORE STOCKER. MOST TEAMS PICKED AT LEAST ONE OTHER PLAYER BEFORE STOCKER.
They cannot POSSIBLY have had him 2nd choice.
Logic dictates that a number of the players selected in the top 18 would have also been on other team's lists ahead of Stocker.

This is as clear as day. There is no debate. If you can't see that evidence then I dont know what else I can say.

You literally said yourself that you think CFC had him rated highest (at 6) so how can you contradict that and assume that teams had him above that on their lists? Remembering that 6th for CFC is dependent on what they were looking for

Settle down.

Never said he was second on anyone’s list, I assume you’ve pulled that from where the sun doesn’t shine?

Don’t talk to me about logic then go off on a rant about a club not rating Stocker in the top 10 because they had multiple picks in the top 10 and didn’t pick him.

Which itself is a complete failure of logic yet hilariously you stick with it.

Once again you have given nothing but hot air.

Again, it is possible that every club rated him top 10. It is possible clubs with multiple picks in the top 10 rated him in the top 10.

Not picking him in the top 10 does NOT necessarily equate to not rating him in the top 10.

If that doesn’t get through, just give up. I’m not sure I can make it any more simple for you.

How do you know that he was?
No team was picking Stocker over King, Rankine, Luko, Walsh etc.
He wasnt 2nd on anybody's list....lets be honest.

Hell he was 6th or 7th on Carlton's list (according to people here who are apparently in the know) and they rated him higher than anyone else.

The odds of Stocker being 2nd on those clubs lists is worse than you winning lottery 10 times straight.

Anyway its kinda irrelevant. As i've said he is the most minor part of the trade. The pick (where it is and who is chosen) both ways is the main part of the trade.
No, Stocker is a major part of the trade. The whole trade was about getting Stocker.

No, Stocker is a major part of the trade. The whole trade was about getting Stocker.

Not from our perspective, or neutral perspective.

You're talking about a pick 19 and the swap is going to be likely top 3 for 10-12ish.

Both players chosen will be picked below Stocker's pick number.

The interest in this trade from others is not about stocker, its about the pick swap.

Settle down.

Never said he was second on anyone’s list, I assume you’ve pulled that from where the sun doesn’t shine?

Don’t talk to me about logic then go off on a rant about a club not rating Stocker in the top 10 because they had multiple picks in the top 10 and didn’t pick him.

Which itself is a complete failure of logic yet hilariously you stick with it.

Once again you have given nothing but hot air.

Again, it is possible that every club rated him top 10. It is possible clubs with multiple picks in the top 10 rated him in the top 10.

Not picking him in the top 10 does NOT necessarily equate to not rating him in the top 10.

If that doesn’t get through, just give up. I’m not sure I can make it any more simple for you.

It was stated by one of your fellow supporters that "Stocker could've been 2nd on every teams list".

You're going to continue with your "if this then that" approach which isnt applicable here.

So what you're saying is that out of the top 18 players chosen at least 9 of them werent on other clubs top 10s.
The odds of what you're saying are slim, and then when logic comes into it, virtually nil.

It shouldnt matter anyway. You blokes took the risk and right now it's looking like a mistake at this early stage.
But if stocker becomes a gun, or results go strangely in the 2nd half of the year, that can change very quickly.

There simply is evidence.
Multiple clubs passed multiple times.
That is evidence clearly says he wasn't 2nd rated by all the teams like your mate seems to want to keep repeating.

Its pretty bloody obvious to anyone without bias.
Carlton are lying if they said had him 2nd on their list.

With this clear evidence, can you please tell me where each of the 17 other clubs rated Stocker?

I am really interested to know exactly where they rated him.
That would be some amazing proof that would smash this argument out of the park for you.

I do love clear evidence of player ratings, just to compare to my own personal ratings. Feel free to show me the clear ratings of all players, I mean if you have Stockers ranking then surely you have their whole draft board.

With this clear evidence, can you please tell me where each of the 17 other clubs rated Stocker?

I am really interested to know exactly where they rated him.
That would be some amazing proof that would smash this argument out of the park for you.

I do love clear evidence of player ratings, just to compare to my own personal ratings. Feel free to show me the clear ratings of all players, I mean if you have Stockers ranking then surely you have their whole draft board.

Well I know full well he wasn't in the crows top 8, or Ports top 6.
Everyone is speculating, but nobody had him ahead of Walsh, King x 2, Rozee, Rankine, Luko at a minimum.

Not from our perspective, or neutral perspective.

You're talking about a pick 19 and the swap is going to be likely top 3 for 10-12ish.

Both players chosen will be picked below Stocker's pick number.

The interest in this trade from others is not about stocker, its about the pick swap.
So you are looking at it from the Adelaide side which is fair enough,(but another what if here) Adelaide get pick 1 Carlton get pick 16 you are saying it's all about who the clubs pick up with those picks ignoring the player Stocker becomes. Lets wait a couple of years unless you have a crystal ball and if you have i want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back