Palace03

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Crystal Palace, Victory
Just interested to see how far everyone thinks the dogs can go in '04.

I dont think they are quite good enough to make the 8 this year, but with a bit of luck who knows??

Ummm i think they will move up one spot to 15th. Carlton for wooden spooners

This is one of the very few years where I enter the season knowing that we probably won’t make the finals. To me, we need a few of our younger brigade stepping up if we’re any chance to surprise a few people this season, I think. If we can have the likes of McMahon, Gilbee, Birss and Cross step up, and I mean really step up, we’ll make the eight. Big call, I know. But think of our flexibility down back and up forward with these four guys taking the midfield duties (HBF and HFF, too, if needed).

Murphy would be able to play off the half back flank where, in my opinion, he plays his best Football. Taking marks in the back line and running through defense, penetrating a kick to the likes of Rawlings, Bandy, Johnson, etc., up forward. Our defense will look much more stabalised with a player of Murphy’s ability doing what he loves doing best. Without Murphy in the back line, we’re still going to struggle. Yes, he won’t take the best forward each week, I’m not saying that at all. I don’t even think he’ll take the third or fourth forward. He will just play the similar role that Rohan Smith plays – running out of defense and penetrating a long kick, except Murphy will take more marks and play looser in defense. This will only work if we can get someone into the midfield to replace Murphy (at the moment we will probably need him to play more in the midfield).

More midfielders stepping up also allows a player like Brad Johnson deep in the forward line. It’s a nightmare to have three strong marikng forwards like Johnson, Rawlings and Bandy to contend with. Then, if Street steps up in the ruck, it’s an added bonus. Darcy will be the fourth target in the forward line, with the likes of Giansiracusa and Garlick playing as the small forward (yes, again we need the midfielders to step up in order of this to happen).

A lot of “ifs”, but it only takes a few players stepping up to really damage a side next year. We definitely have the depth, but, unfortunately, we don’t have the right coach. I hope I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen anything about Rohde’s game plan that impresses me.

We are already off to a winning start with Liberatore and Cameron back at the Whitten Oval. Scotty Wynd believes that he has discovered Street’s rucking problem, so with these three Bulldogs sons can help out in any way, shape or form, it will also be an added bonus.

A lot of people that I speak to actually think getting rid of Nathan Brown was the best thing we could ever do. He wasn’t getting the best out of his ability at the Bulldogs, as he was our number one target up forward and he didn’t look comfortable on some occasions out on the field.

One guy I even spoke to believes Brown is a dud. :eek: If you thought that was bad, his next comment was “That Adam Cooney: I reckon he’s also a dud.” The bloke was from South Australia who came down to visit the family for New Years.

Originally posted by X_box_X

We are already off to a winning start with Liberatore and Cameron back at the Whitten Oval. Scotty Wynd believes that he has discovered Street’s rucking problem, so with these three Bulldogs sons can help out in any way, shape or form, it will also be an added bonus. .

Libba ?

We are already off to a winning start with Liberatore and Cameron back at the Whitten Oval. Scotty Wynd believes that he has discovered Street’s rucking problem, so with these three Bulldogs sons can help out in any way, shape or form, it will also be an added bonus.
I knew Libba was a Bulldog plant designed to lift them off the bottom at our expense.

Cant see the dogs going too far in '04.

Chris Grant will most likely take time to regain form and fitness which leaves their defence looking very thin. I think Rawlings is a bit overrated on the basis of his one and only good season to date. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain that form in 2004.
The new youngsters are probably not going to have a any impact this year and the older players they recruited (Koops, Morgan, Street and Rawlings) are no better than the players they've lost (Kretiuk, Dimattina, Alvey and Nathan Brown).
They do look a better balanced side than last year but will probably take a couple more years before they can challenge for a finals berth.

More midfielders stepping up also allows a player like Brad Johnson deep in the forward line. It’s a nightmare to have three strong marikng forwards like Johnson, Rawlings and Bandy to contend with.

opposition coaches are shaking in their boots!!!
(ALL coaches wear boots by the way)

Hard to say, and their ladder position will depend a lot on how other teams fare.
Chris Grant will be a good inclusion, but often players take a full season to regain confidence after a knee. Of the other players, they're pretty much replacing similar quality players who are no longer at the club.

I predict that the Dogs will at worst rise 2-3 places up the ladder, and with luck may finish just outside the 8. I can't see them displacing any of the 2003 finalists for a spot in the finals in '04.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get your hopes up all you WB fans out there. You all seem to be forgetting that you finished stone motherless LAST in 2003, behind a team as poor as Carlton. Sure your backline is a little more reliable now with Grant at CHB, but it is still very vulnerable.

What's this hogswash about an intimidating forward line. Johnson is Johnson, he is an extremely good player who has been playing well the last few years and while he can be relied upon to play well again in 2004 he can't do it alone. As much as you may hate to admit it, the loss of Brown is crippling. He has kicked a high % of your goals in the last couple of years and he has left a gaping hole without anyone there to replace him. Rawlings is a very good mark-taker but even while at the Hawks, he proved that he isn't much of a goal kicker. As for Bandy......please. How many goals do you honestly expect this guy to kick? Not only isn't he much of a player, but it will be the same old story of him givng Darcy a rest in the ruck. I am astounded by the optimism in relation to Street. He couldn't even get a game at Geelong when Steven King was injured most of the year.
The Doggies have added to their list and will improve on 2003, however talk of the final 8 is as far fetched as a WB V Carl GF!

. It’s a nightmare to have three strong marikng forwards like Johnson, Rawlings and Bandy to contend with.

Is this the first time that strong marking and Bandy have been mentioned in a sentence togther?

Originally posted by Falchoon
Is this the first time that strong marking and Bandy have been mentioned in a sentence togther?

No no not at all. You often read things "Daniel Bandys opponent took several strong marks"

There are too many variables to predict how we will go this season. As long as we improve and have a go I will be happy

Originally posted by keano
Don't get your hopes up all you WB fans out there. You all seem to be forgetting that you finished stone motherless LAST in 2003, behind a team as poor as Carlton. Sure your backline is a little more reliable now with Grant at CHB, but it is still very vulnerable.

What's this hogswash about an intimidating forward line. Johnson is Johnson, he is an extremely good player who has been playing well the last few years and while he can be relied upon to play well again in 2004 he can't do it alone. As much as you may hate to admit it, the loss of Brown is crippling. He has kicked a high % of your goals in the last couple of years and he has left a gaping hole without anyone there to replace him. Rawlings is a very good mark-taker but even while at the Hawks, he proved that he isn't much of a goal kicker. As for Bandy......please. How many goals do you honestly expect this guy to kick? Not only isn't he much of a player, but it will be the same old story of him givng Darcy a rest in the ruck. I am astounded by the optimism in relation to Street. He couldn't even get a game at Geelong when Steven King was injured most of the year.
The Doggies have added to their list and will improve on 2003, however talk of the final 8 is as far fetched as a WB V Carl GF!

Difference between Street and Bandy (apart from 10cm) is that apparently steet can actually ruck. Even if he cant do anything else, having a decent tap ruckman to back Darcy, who is not any kind of tap ruckman, is a novelty for doggies supporters.

The difference Grant will make at CHB (instead of harrison/skipper/hargreave or whoever) will be phenominal, so defence will be improved from terrible to mediocre. Much depends on brian harris who, unusally for a doggie keyback has the size, but needs more games under his belt.

forward line. Bandy is not as bad as he is made out. was injured lasy year and delivery was abysmal. However must be a secondary target, which is why we need a player like Rawlings to be the main target. If we play Darcy down there on occasion, even better. From the players we have available, forward line has the potential to be above average - rawlings, bandy, darcy, johnson, bowden, and a couple of guys called faulkner and cooney who will probably spend some time in the pockets.

midfield has always been our strength, and can only improve through replacing guys like garlick and dimatina with the likes of murphy, faulkner, cooney ...

Maybe people used the term when describing the 146 marks Bandy took in the last season he was actually fit, 2002.

Just for a comparison the same year Jon Brown played 3 less games than Bandy and took 49 marks less. This season Jon Brown took 126

This season his ankle was basically stuffed for 90% of the year, yet that hasn't stopped people from bagging him. If we didn't have height problems he wouldn't have played most of the 12 games he did play

More midfielders stepping up also allows a player like Brad Johnson deep in the forward line. It’s a nightmare to have three strong marikng forwards like Johnson, Rawlings and Bandy to contend with.

They are so easy to match up on.

Hall-Bandy
Newman- Johnson
Gasper-Rawlings

I dun think it is a nightmare really

I wouldn't expect you, or anyone for that matter, to have an understanding of Bandy's potential.

Time and time again, in the early rounds of 2002, Bandy would soar above a pack which also involved Grant and Saunders, saying "See you later, guys. Do you mind if I take this one," and he'd take the strong mark.

A fit Bandy is one of the most important things we need this season.

Bandy is a super athlete, exceptionally strong grab (he came third in contested marks in 2002), stands at 6'6 and has a giant leap.

I have no doubt in my mind that Bandy will establish himself as a top ten CHF come the end of 2004.

I reckon the furtherest they will go is Perth, at least once.

They will prob head to Brissie at some stage too..

But they might go overseas at end of season.. and who knows where they might head..

So its really impossible at this stage to say exactly how far the bullies will go.

I have no doubt in my mind that Bandy will establish himself as a top ten CHF come the end of 2004.

I'm not sure if you realise that there are only 16 CHF's in the league, so if 4 or 5 of them get injured Bandy may get into the top 10;)

I thought that he would play FF with Rawlings at CHF anyway

I wouldn't expect you, or anyone for that matter, to have an understanding of Bandy's potential.

Time and time again, in the early rounds of 2002, Bandy would soar above a pack which also involved Grant and Saunders, saying "See you later, guys. Do you mind if I take this one," and he'd take the strong mark.

A fit Bandy is one of the most important things we need this season.

Bandy is a super athlete, exceptionally strong grab (he came third in contested marks in 2002), stands at 6'6 and has a giant leap.

I have every idea of Bandy's potential. I was there in 1996 when we stopped Carlton's run of 20-odd straight wins at Subi and Bandy utterly dominated the day, marking everything and running every opponent into the ground. Back then we were talking him up as a superstar. We had few doubts that he would be as good as Carey.

Unfortunately, he became a hack, rarely playing more than a couple of good games a year, occasionally showing what he is capable of (and always seemed to win the 4km pre-season time trial by the length of the straight). If you are hanging your hat on Bandy having a good consistent year, you will finish bottom 4. He's beyond potential now. He *had* potential. Now he's just a hack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back