How the AFL lost the battle for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

They are literally as myopic as fish as well. I know the Panthers are hegemonic at the moment but it is pretty absurd to claim victory because two Western Sydney teams happened to be playing in the Grand Final that day.

The people genuinely in the "VFL fishbowl" are the ones who would rather the Giants and Suns didn't exist at all. The success or otherwise of the two recent expansion clubs won't be definitive until 2050.

At foundation of GWS and GCS the AFL said that it would be at least 20 years - so that would be around 2030.

Depending how you measure it, it took the Swans between 20 - 30 years.

Personally I find it a bit odd that in 2023 an AFL team promotes their upcoming games on billboards - as the Swans do - but there is no doubt that they have set themselves up as a legitimate well backed sporting club. Any NRL team would be thrilled to have the Swans’ attendances.

At foundation of GWS and GCS the AFL said that it would be at least 20 years - so that would be around 2030.

Personally I find it a bit odd that in 2023 an AFL team promotes their upcoming games on billboards - as the Swans do - but there is no doubt that they have set themselves up as a legitimate well backed sporting club. Any NRL team would be thrilled to have the Swans’ attendances.
In Melbourne they still advertise games and membership drives on billboards for AFL.

I've seen Richmond, Essendon, Bulldogs and Hawthorn advertise on Freeway billboards so far.

Thrilled?

They be whackin off like a 14 yo that just touched his first booby.

The papers be frothing at how nrl is killing afl in stinkney.

Brisbane and Gold Coast advertise their games on billboards as well.

As someone who lives in Sydney and is involved directly in the sporting landscape up here - Aussie Rules is definitely growing bigger than many from outside would expect.

It isn't front and centre in the headlines like the NRL is (hence the billboard advertisements) and likely won't ever be the main sport up here, but it's growing bigger and bigger under the surface.

Most schools are now offering it as an option to play across Sydney - something which barely any did 10 years ago. Even the big private schools which are rugby strongholds are (I think Kings is the last one that doesn't have an AFL team).

Rugby is dying a hard and fast death and the AFL is profiting, but don't sleep on the fact that a hell of a lot of parents would rather their kids play footy over rugby league over concussion fears. When you have players like Nelson Asofa-Solomona coming out the other day saying he's pretty sure a bunch of NRL players already have CTE, there warning bells are blaring. It may genuinely be the biggest drawcard away from the rugby codes and into the AFL.

All these things aren't really seen when you're outside Sydney, but when you are here and you're talking to people with kids, involved in the sport, just general people - it's definitely changing. Hell, the Swans are one of probably only 3 or so teams that come close to selling out their stadiums on a regular basis (the Giants are a different kettle of fish and have a harder challenge to really grow their roots in the community).

Give it another decade or so and it could be a completely different landscape.

As someone who lives in Sydney and is involved directly in the sporting landscape up here - Aussie Rules is definitely growing bigger than many from outside would expect.

It isn't front and centre in the headlines like the NRL is (hence the billboard advertisements) and likely won't ever be the main sport up here, but it's growing bigger and bigger under the surface.

Most schools are now offering it as an option to play across Sydney - something which barely any did 10 years ago. Even the big private schools which are rugby strongholds are (I think Kings is the last one that doesn't have an AFL team).

Rugby is dying a hard and fast death and the AFL is profiting, but don't sleep on the fact that a hell of a lot of parents would rather their kids play footy over rugby league over concussion fears. When you have players like Nelson Asofa-Solomona coming out the other day saying he's pretty sure a bunch of NRL players already have CTE, there warning bells are blaring. It may genuinely be the biggest drawcard away from the rugby codes and into the AFL.

All these things aren't really seen when you're outside Sydney, but when you are here and you're talking to people with kids, involved in the sport, just general people - it's definitely changing. Hell, the Swans are one of probably only 3 or so teams that come close to selling out their stadiums on a regular basis (the Giants are a different kettle of fish and have a harder challenge to really grow their roots in the community).

Give it another decade or so and it could be a completely different landscape.

+ there is a bit of a class element to it as well. Swans are seen as a bit of an Eastern suburbs / well-to-do thing. Giants don’t really fit that profile.

Giants do offer one of the best gameday experiences in the comp though. Not to many grounds you can drive to, find easy and reasonably priced parking less than 5 minutes walk to your seat, find yourself very close to the action (or above it, whatever your want). They have really good catering options. And when the game is over you can be out of there and on your way home in no time.

From Coffs to Port Macquarie I met with 45 Giants members and learnt thier footy history which is very interesting and completely not understood by Victorians.
They were so staunch welded onfooty/Giants supporters and everyone of them has bought merchandise and membership tickets for thier whole family.
I was very impressed and could see Giants future being very safe.

From Coffs to Port Macquarie I met with 45 Giants members and learnt thier footy history which is very interesting and completely not understood by Victorians.
They were so staunch welded onfooty/Giants supporters and everyone of them has bought merchandise and membership tickets for thier whole family.
I was very impressed and could see Giants future being very safe.
Do you think they have more or less fans than Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back