How the small Melbourne clubs saved footy

Remove this Banner Ad

We could argue there's too many teams in Perth at the moment.

Fitzroy got shafted for less
No they didn't. Fitzroy were busted arse on and off field, the Eagles are only shite onfield, we are still propping up the indigent Vic clubs.

Hmm OP should retitle the thread how non Vic teams saved footy by travelling to 3rd rate grounds around Australia to play the small Melbourne clubs.

Then winge about selling out their home games to Darwin, Alice Springs, Cairns, Launceston, Hobart and Ballarat instead of playing at the MCG or Marvel when they lose.

Shame you don't understand how the competition actually works.
Gonna sound like I am sinking the boots on North Melbourne.

With North Melbourne being in the bottom 2 in the last 4 seasons, I am curious on their crowd numbers.

North Melbourne have only won 2 games this season. So I'm curious how many people rock up to their home games in Marvel or docklands, especially vs low drawing non Vic sides

lol

That is like saying a dole bludger helped stimulate the economy by spending their government cheque on piss

North basically paid with a cheque signed by the AFL for each game they played in front of 11,000 fans at Marvel. Not sure how they deserve credit for the stadium being bought early
Again.... I can't love this post enough. LoL

The AFL will cater and bow down to Norths whims. LoL

I love the AFL system LoL

It's like saying, I have the alcohol problem.

AFL replied, here take this cash and buy more alcohol.

I don't mind or any issues for north to get priority picks.

If that means trading in players that can draw crowds, I am for it

Hmm OP should retitle the thread how non Vic teams saved footy by travelling to 3rd rate grounds around Australia to play the small Melbourne clubs.

Then winge about selling out their home games to Darwin, Alice Springs, Cairns, Launceston, Hobart and Ballarat instead of playing at the MCG or Marvel when they lose.
Good point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Week after week St Kilda, the Dogs and North have occupied the crappy slots in the fixture.

4.40PM Sunday at Docklands. 1.10PM Sunday at Docklands. Usually against an interstate team. The graveyard slot.

For many years we even paid for the privilege, such was the shocking nature of the stadium deals we got.

But every game we played there chipped away at the future where the AFL would own the stadium.

Finally the AFL was in a position to buy the stadium early.

And now COVID-19 has thrown the competition off track, the AFL has been forced to seek a line of credit of hundreds of millions.

Using the stadium as security, the loan was secured. And yes, a few clubs are individually wealthy enough to have seen out the shutdown, but they would have no league to play in. Collingwood and Richmond and Hawthorn and West Coast isn't a league.

So, remember what saved footy - the poor little Melbourne clubs paying off Docklands Stadium provided the league with the security it needed to get through this.

ANZAC Day "blockbusters" didn't save footy, North v Freo at 4.40PM on a Sunday did.

Richmond's endless MCG primetime runs didn't save footy, St Kilda vs Port at 1.10PM on a Sunday did.

No Showdown or Derby or Q Clash or Battle of the Bridge put a single cent toward saving footy, but the Dogs playing Gold Coast on a shitful Sunday arvo did.

1712014481885.png

Saints vs Dogs got 26 thousand tonight on tursday night. yep they saved the AFL from going broke
But there’s millions watching on foxtel!!!!

Millions I tell you!!!!

Foxtel make eleventy trillion from all the minnow club supporters that don’t attend games, but do buy and watch on foxtel -

none of them are neutrals……

Remove this Banner Ad

Back