Autopsy Hubba Hubba, Blues blast the Dogs on the Coast

Who do you think played a good game for the Blues v the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Very envious of you to be able to go to the game. Must have been fantastic.
HBF it was awesome. the noise from the Baggers was awesome. walking out was like walking out of a game in Melb with heaps and heaps of supporters whooing and cheering, best of all, yelling CARN BAGGERS!!!!!
now to reload and go again at the Gabba. :cool:

I want to raid the dogs midfield. Bailey smith or Lapinski or even Duunley better than Wines or SoS

We might not need any of them with Cripps and Kennedy already there, and I think alot of us are excited about what Kemp could bring as well.

Dominator did all that and more.

Jack Martin is classy tough.

But a dose of unclassy arrogance, along with walking the walk, is just fine too.
That's the trick.

You can behave however you like. But you've got to back it up. If you don't, you're just a thug.

I’ve read all 35 pages so it’s pretty well covered, I only 2 thoughts;

1. Thankyou Carlton & The dogs. I was building a turtle tank all weekend in front of the footy, horrible round. That game however restored faith in the sport I love

2. Hang in their Simmo & Murph, if you can you will get what you deserve
be interested to hear what brock mclean thinks of his new home.........

Dominator did all that and more.

Jack Martin is classy tough.

But a dose of unclassy arrogance, along with walking the walk, is just fine too.
Completely different time but my recollection of Johnstone was that he would take you on face to face, not snipe cheapy.

And in those days if you dished something out you knew there was going to be more than a bit of push and shove and the odd jumper punch coming back. I don't think Smith would have come out of things to well going toe to toe with a Cripps in 1981.

So watching again (I had to do con calls from 4:30 this morning so yeah im chillin now and watching again) Jack Martin is going to be one of the best signings/deals we have done. His hands, smarts and coordination are something else. Those two marks he took contested and kicked goals from are just..........well they are just awesome!!!

Ermehgerd the arrogance from the Bulldogs posters on their board 🤮
Makes the win even sweeter
apparently we can't play any better and they had a bad one.........

We might not need any of them with Cripps and Kennedy already there, and I think alot of us are excited about what Kemp could bring as well.
Kemp will most likely take 2-3 years to have an impact. IMO we can start to challenge next year, so a ready made A grade mid would be huge. Even papley playing 40% mid interchangeable with Jack Martin in the middle/ fwd pocket gives us 90mins of highly competitive quick inside/outside mid play time.

We certainly shouldn't be chasing a mid without some burst pace but would be nice to add an accumulator (which we don't really have until Walsh gets a bit older. He will definitely be a 30 touch player in his prime).

I think most teams would like him in there team on field
In the locker room or socially not so much
Those actions showed his character arrogant flog we are building a team of character and resilience
Of which he showed none when the heat of a tag came in the second half

Spot on - know a handful of the same sort through my cricket club, you love having them out on the field with you and they make the team walk a bit taller, but post-match? Training? Social functions? Nope, steer well clear.

Have no issue with a talented young kid showing some attitude though. We still trot out the footage of Willo getting into Hayward like he's some kind of hero. We all loved Weitering in game ONE giving Riewoldt some lip. And you know what, Smith got into a bit of argey-bargey with Crippa, and then 20 seconds later ran off him and kicked a goal - it was well worth giving Crippa a serve over.

Completely different time but my recollection of Johnstone was that he would take you on face to face, not snipe cheapy.

And in those days if you dished something out you knew there was going to be more than a bit of push and shove and the odd jumper punch coming back. I don't think Smith would have come out of things to well going toe to toe with a Cripps in 1981.

Well if you wanna talk about today, then swap Dominator for Toby. Classy tough is cool. Slightly unclassy arrogance is also cool. As long as you walk the walk as a player.

Willo and Bailey Smith have similar demeanours on the field. I really like them both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most teams would like him in there team on field
In the locker room or socially not so much
Those actions showed his character arrogant flog we are building a team of character and resilience
Of which he showed none when the heat of a tag came in the second half
Bingo - good teams recruit on character and talent.

Well if you wanna talk about today, then swap Dominator for Toby. Classy tough is cool. Slightly unclassy arrogance is also cool. As long as you walk the walk as a player.

Willo and Bailey Smith have similar demeanours on the field. I really like them both.

Not really.

"Classy tough is cool" All the kids are doing it, you want to be cool don't you? :rolleyes:

That's the trick.

You can behave however you like. But you've got to back it up. If you don't, you're just a thug.

Yep - agree...that's why Jed Lamb's antics didn't sit well for me...happy to have that arrogance and bravado in the team, though without the skills to back it up it isn't a great look.

Don't think Smith has that problem...

Think you have your one eye on that one with respect mate...a week after everyone on this board called our whole team soft, can't be bagging out a player for showing some inner mongrel, as difficult as it is to be on the receiving end of it...

Anyway, will probably need to agree to disagree on this...play on!
Mouthed off to Cripps then got a good dose of what Cripps cops every week when Ed kept him to 7 touches and dragged him into deep water and drowned him in the second half, don’t mouth off to proven champions until you’ve walked in there shoes.

Yep - agree...that's why Jed Lamb's antics didn't sit well for me...happy to have that arrogance and bravado in the team, though without the skills to back it up it isn't a great look.

Don't think Smith has that problem...
I think Smith is being encouraged by his team and his coach to lean into whatever he's becoming. He's a dynamic, powerful player, but there's more to what's going on with him than meets the eye.

You don't look like that, mouth off like that, in a vacuum.

Loved Setterfield's game. Kennedy rock solid. Both so important for where we're at.

Not only to help Cripps and give us midfield depth which is vital, but what i liked is that it freed us up to use Martin forward.

Martin's been playing a fair bit in the midfield recently and been good, but last night he only attended 1 centre bounce all game. We pretty much used him as a HFF all game...and boy did he have an influence and make our forward line better.

Great thing is he's good in the air and at ground level...he took 3 really strong 1v1 overhead marks last night inside 50 for a return of 2 goals 1 behind.

Every time the ball hits the ground he's got so much intensity and burst to win the ball and lay tackles. I recall after his near mark attempt in the 2nd quarter, he laid a big chase down tackle on Johannisen which set up Murphy's open shot at goal (the one he fluffed). Then in the 4th quarter he made several strong efforts to win the ball and fire out a handball to Walsh, who gave it to McGovern for his snap goal.

He's just so dynamic and his actions lead to scoring opportunities...so the emergence of Setterfield & Kennedy in the midfield also frees up Martin to make our forward line better.

Last edited:
I honestly thought Pittonet was just a set of steak knives in our off-season trades. Back up just to hold a spot for TDK to mature.
He's making it hard to even drop him for Kruezer.
Agree with you, Pittonet plays with passion and a strong desire to impact every contest. Great team player just what we needed needed to protect and lead some of the kids.
Very astutely done Mr Silvagni, Hawks have squared the ledger.

Think you have your one eye on that one with respect mate...a week after everyone on this board called our whole team soft, can't be bagging out a player for showing some inner mongrel, as difficult as it is to be on the receiving end of it...

Anyway, will probably need to agree to disagree on this...play on!
Hang on who’s everyone, I certainly never called this team soft in fact I have done exactly the opposite, don’t make blanket statements that just aren’t true..

I have to shamefully admit, about half way through the third quarter i expected the bullys to come back and we'd get over run, another gallant loss. But was super pumped we kept going then crushed them...
I'm glad we are building our own brand of footy, i.e fast kicking game, kicking to tall forwards. Not trying to match what Richmond, hawthorn or what ever the flavour of the month is, are doing.

Spot on - know a handful of the same sort through my cricket club, you love having them out on the field with you and they make the team walk a bit taller, but post-match? Training? Social functions? Nope, steer well clear.

Have no issue with a talented young kid showing some attitude though. We still trot out the footage of Willo getting into Hayward like he's some kind of hero. We all loved Weitering in game ONE giving Riewoldt some lip. And you know what, Smith got into a bit of argey-bargey with Crippa, and then 20 seconds later ran off him and kicked a goal - it was well worth giving Crippa a serve over.

"Smith got into a bit of argey-bargey with Crippa, and then 20 seconds later ran off him and kicked a goal - it was well worth giving Crippa a serve over." And then his team got belted by 50 points.

And the mouthing off I can almost tolerate, the elbow to the back of Walsh's head is just filth.

I swear we were the least fit team (or close to) for years before Russell joined.

I don't think our team was as professional as it should have been and it cost us goals in red time and ultimately cost us matches.

The improvement in fitness in the last 18 months has been insane. From one of the least fit to one of the best methinks.

Yep credit to Russell for that...not just the conditioning program generally but also how we treat players coming back from injuries.

Russell always talks about giving players a training block to actually be match ready, whereas before him and under Bolton we would just throw players back into the seniors the moment we thought they were over their injury, and they'd often play s**t and even get re-injured.

Also helps when we recruit players with naturally good endurance though like Walsh/Gibbons/Newnes who are players from the last 2 years that are consistently in our top distance covered on match day.

Back