English Super League Humours review of the Season.

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the slo-mo of Damian Blanch's try.
Keith Senior twitting....:D
I hope they do some more.

Now that was really awesome and those figurines are so cute, makes me want to be a kid again.

I especially loved the one where both teams turned up with the same strip.

But where were the refs and touchies:D

I especially loved the one where both teams turned up with the same strip.

I seem to remember Castleford got a fine for that. To make matters worse, it was a televised 'Sky' game, and the KO was delayed, which didn't go down well with the TV people as you can imagine.

Actually, I was reading comments on the BBC league blog yesterday (or it might have been the Guardian), and amongst all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about failing to beat the Kangaroos again, someone even said that the bottom team in the NRL, the Titans, would finish near the top of the ESL. Not if they played like they did last season, they wouldn't! They might pick up points against the Salfords and Harlequins, but they'd get tanked by Wigan and Warrington and Leeds just like they did in the NRL.

But that's fans for you. I doubt very much whether England would ever be in a position to beat the Kangaroos regularly, and the reason NZ have done better against them lately is surely because the Kiwi side (all except one, and he'll be there in 2013 anyway) play against them week in, week out in the NRL.

Actually, I was reading comments on the BBC league blog yesterday (or it might have been the Guardian), and amongst all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about failing to beat the Kangaroos again, someone even said that the bottom team in the NRL, the Titans, would finish near the top of the ESL. Not if they played like they did last season, they wouldn't! They might pick up points against the Salfords and Harlequins, but they'd get tanked by Wigan and Warrington and Leeds just like they did in the NRL.

But that's fans for you. I doubt very much whether England would ever be in a position to beat the Kangaroos regularly, and the reason NZ have done better against them lately is surely because the Kiwi side (all except one, and he'll be there in 2013 anyway) play against them week in, week out in the NRL.

Great Britain had the upper hand until the early 1970's. However, by then, Australia were becoming more professional in their attitude to the game. They were also changing the rules. Australian RL was gradually becoming less of a conglomeration of part-time state leagues and into, by necessity, at least for half the nation, a national league for full time professionals. In GB, the game wasn't enjoying the same level of popularity, if anything, there was a decrease in playing numbers during the 60's and 70's. And that was from a region of the country that also happened to include more top flight pro soccer clubs than any other region of England.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back