If Rioli and Tom Mitchell stay healthy in 2018......

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back line looked pretty solid back in Round 3...

HAWTHORN
B: Ben Stratton; James Frawley; Shaun Burgoyne
HB: Luke Hodge; Ryan Burton; Josh Gibson

Going, gone and gone. This highlights their predicament.

Stratton: 2 years
Frawley: 2-3 years
Burton: A 191cm/90kg KPD?

Add Birchall: 2 years

There mustn't be much coming through in development if they have to swing forwards in to defence, when a couple of these blokes go down.

But yeah, they're a "destination" club.

Such a hater, Snake_Baker...

Don't you know how it works? They were getting pumped when Frawley, Stratton, Gibson, Birchall were playing then turned it around because of Burton, Brand, Hardwick, whoever and Gunston and Sicily going back. Now because all their defenders are coming back (minus Hodge who was good and Gibson who was s**t and played zero part in the great resurgence) they'll be amazing again because they were 7th best on form if you take out the start when all those defenders played. The logic is bulletproof.

Haha, its as if you've only just started watching footy, no concept of out of form teams, game plan changes, different personnel etc
Our poor form last year in the early rounds wasn't solely the responsibility of just our back line 6.

Last edited:
“Hawthorn is currently the WORST destination club in the competition”

From a north supporter - it just doesn’t get funnier than that

Its amusing, whoring out cash to prospective players only to get rejected time and time again and ultimately the type of player they do entice is the one that's in the twilight of his career in Dal Santo or a Higgins.

Hawthorn is currently the WORST destination club in the competition.
Geez Snakey, that’s next level.

It was only the trade period before last that we landed mitchell (all Australian) and omeara.

How many examples of clubs bringing in an all Australian and rising star winner in the same trade period can you find?

I mean, it has been one trade period in a row that we haven’t landed a big fish (no offense to Impey) but we’ve got a pretty good record in the thing you’re saying we are the worst in the league at

“Hawthorn is currently the WORST destination club in the competition”

From a north supporter - it just doesn’t get funnier than that
Mate they got Billy Hartung.

If only the Hawks could get quality recruits like that.

Because there are massive holes in it.

And that impacts on you how. Hawk supporters think there’s lots of upside based on how they finished the season off with some pretty good players missing most of the season and for some reason that rankles you. In fact there’s lots of things about the Hawks and their supporters that seem to rankle you. Surely it makes more sense to wait till the season starts so that you can pop back and post your “you were wrong hawk posters”

And that impacts on you how. Hawk supporters think there’s lots of upside based on how they finished the season off with some pretty good players missing most of the season and for some reason that rankles you. In fact there’s lots of things about the Hawks and their supporters that seem to rankle you. Surely it makes more sense to wait till the season starts so that you can pop back and post your “you were wrong hawk posters”

It's a forum, nothing here really impacts anyone. People are allowed to comment on stuff, that's how it works. If you (royal) don't like dissenting opinions on the main board then stiff s**t, you have your own board where you can drink the Kool Aid about how the return of Frawley and Birchall will be the difference and that you don't need high draft picks to replace legends of the game who were high draft picks. The whole 'if you don't like it, don't read/quote/contribute' thing applies to everyone.

You lot have been significantly worse than the supporters of other recently successful sides. Geelong supporters are much more realistic and understand that you don't just replace Bartel, Enright, Scarlett etc. overnight because Geelong. Plenty of people want to see you slide down the ladder because you had your time at the top and your fans were complete dicks about it. Nothing groundbreaking there.

The whole 'the first 4 weeks was just a transition, we were 7th best over the last 18 rounds' thing is nonsense. Lewis and Sam Mitchell weren't there for the entire pre-season, they didn't just fall out of the team the week before round 1 leading to a completely new game plan being invented after round 4. Anyway it's a prediction thread, not much point predicting results after the fact. And let's be honest if you do somehow have a great season there is going to be zero humility about it. Assuming Hawthorn maintain their amazing 'last 18 rounds' form I reckon a few teams will go past them. Hell my own team came 8th and if we don't improve substantially I expect us to miss the finals this year. I don't see that a couple of defenders coming back will make a world of difference to offset the loss of Hodge, and pinning your hopes on no injuries all season (particularly Rioli and O'Meara) is silly as every club has them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole 'the first 4 weeks was just a transition, we were 7th best over the last 18 rounds' thing is nonsense. Lewis and Sam Mitchell weren't there for the entire pre-season, they didn't just fall out of the team the week before round 1 leading to a completely new game plan being invented after round 4. Anyway it's a prediction thread, not much point predicting results after the fact. And let's be honest if you do somehow have a great season there is going to be zero humility about it. Assuming Hawthorn maintain their amazing 'last 18 rounds' form I reckon a few teams will go past them. Hell my own team came 8th and if we don't improve substantially I expect us to miss the finals this year. I don't see that a couple of defenders coming back will make a world of difference to offset the loss of Hodge, and pinning your hopes on no injuries all season (particularly Rioli and O'Meara) is silly as every club has them.

This is precisely the reason why most find your posts as ignorant, you have shown no real understanding as to why Hawthorns fortunes changed after the first month.
Negative Nancy highlighting the 4 week block over the greater form base, the 18 week block.
Dismissing a game plan change after Round 4, of course, how could we possibly argue with the guru West Coast supporter that knows all things Hawthorn.
Now we have you dismissing returning players as a form of improvement in combination with the youth that had greater roles and in turn showed real promise in 2017.

Last edited:
Yep, 44 blokes on the list, but when a defender goes down, Hawthorn has to move forwards in to defence because no one else on the entire playing list can play defence.

AND YOU RECKON I DRIBBLE s**t?!

Here's the mail:

You're list is rubbish and it's headed south.

Hawthorn is currently the WORST destination club in the competition.
You more than dribble s**t, you vomit it with velocity.

There mustn't be much coming through in development if they have to swing forwards in to defence, when a couple of these blokes go down.

What is this problem you have with counting?

Frawley, Stratton, Birchall, Gibson. That was 4 players in our back half that went down with long term injuries last year. 4 != 2.

Players under 50 games that helped out down back when they were out:
Sicily
Burton
Hardwick
Brand

Or in other words, 4 players that were not a regular part of our back half in 2016, become a regular part of our back half in 2017. This is what we call player development. The fact that several of them played forward as juniors is hardly relevant. Hawthorn is free to choose which areas of the ground it chooses to develop their players in. So we played 4 young players who hadn't yet cemented a spot in the backline to cover injuries and swung one experienced forward down back to provide some more senior heads down there, and you think this is a sign we lack players coming through? Perhaps one of those 50 eggs your avatar is wolfing down could be used to plug the hole this torrent is spouting from.

What is this problem you have with counting?

Frawley, Stratton, Birchall, Gibson. That was 4 players in our back half that went down with long term injuries last year. 4 != 2.

Players under 50 games that helped out down back when they were out:
Sicily
Burton
Hardwick
Brand

Or in other words, 4 players that were not a regular part of our back half in 2016, become a regular part of our back half in 2017. This is what we call player development. The fact that several of them played forward as juniors is hardly relevant. Hawthorn is free to choose which areas of the ground it chooses to develop their players in. So we played 4 young players who hadn't yet cemented a spot in the backline to cover injuries and swung one experienced forward down back to provide some more senior heads down there, and you think this is a sign we lack players coming through? Perhaps one of those 50 eggs your avatar is wolfing down could be used to plug the hole this torrent is spouting from.

Yeah, I think I've already told you that your pretty clueless about this caper.

Where are your developing key defenders?

Going, gone and gone. This highlights their predicament.

Stratton: 2 years
Frawley: 2-3 years
Burton: A 191cm/90kg KPD?

Add Birchall: 2 years

But yeah, they're a "destination" club.

Sicily and Hardwick will be stars. Plenty of depth down there now.

Brand. Lost Gibson, brought in Brand.

I wouldn't say he was a replacement for Gibson, but he is KPP size.

Connor Nash the Irish kid is next cab off the rank, he’s a bit raw at the moment, but has shown promise this preseason.

Basically, Brand and a spec import pick. Do you think the Hawks need to address this situation a bit better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back