If the Dees don't make the eight is it a failure?

Will it be a failure?

• Yes

Votes: 398 75.2%
  • No

Votes: 131 24.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Failure for mine.

Hard to gauge where the Dees are at in a sense. It seems they are mentally fragile in a manner not too different to Richmond.
They pulled of some really solid wins when they weren't expected to last year but whenever a hint of expectation went on them they wilted very, very easily.

In addition to this, their performances in the final two round when finals were a genuine chance, were disgraceful; belted by an undermanned Carlton side then embarrassed down at the cattery to the tune of 100+ points.

As such it would seem this team has some large mental bridges to cross.
A hallmark sign of any good team is an ability to find a way when the chips are the down and the ball isn't bouncing their way.
Whilst acknowledging the relative youthful nature of the team and how far this team has progressed from a few years back, it seems this mental barrier will be their greatest challenge yet.

In saying all this there is much reason for Dees fans to be very optimistic.
The team oozes talent, possesses a midfield that bats deep, a premier ruckman, solid defence and one of the best key forward's in the game to build around.

In what is increasingly becoming a close competition that mental barrier is what may decide the fortunes for the Dees for season 17' and beyond.

No? What was the 3 mil that was given for footy spending spent on then?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Peter Jackson makes it clear at our 2015 AGM that the AFL gave us a one off grant of $1.45m to restructure the football club, not pay for Roos.

Jackson has previously made it clear that the AFL wasn't funding Roos' wage.

Listen from 4.45 to his 2015 AGM speech.

Also, the linked article makes it clear that the AFL were not going to fund Roos or any coach.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-16/afl-not-paying-for-melbourne-coach-demetriou

Peter Jackson makes it clear at our 2015 AGM that the AFL gave us a one off grant of $1.45m to restructure the football club, not pay for Roos.

Jackson has previously made it clear that the AFL wasn't funding Roos' wage.

Listen from 4.45 to his 2015 AGM speech.

Also, the linked article makes it clear that the AFL were not going to fund Roos or any coach.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-16/afl-not-paying-for-melbourne-coach-demetriou

Thanks for the info. The Australian had it at 3mill handed over for footy spending

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Failure for mine.

Hard to gauge where the Dees are at in a sense. It seems they are mentally fragile in a manner not too different to Richmond.
They pulled of some really solid wins when they weren't expected to last year but whenever a hint of expectation went on them they wilted very, very easily.

In addition to this, their performances in the final two round when finals were a genuine chance, were disgraceful; belted by an undermanned Carlton side then embarrassed down at the cattery to the tune of 100+ points.

As such it would seem this team has some large mental bridges to cross.
A hallmark sign of any good team is an ability to find a way when the chips are the down and the ball isn't bouncing their way.
Whilst acknowledging the relative youthful nature of the team and how far this team has progressed from a few years back, it seems this mental barrier will be their greatest challenge yet.

In saying all this there is much reason for Dees fans to be very optimistic.
The team oozes talent, possesses a midfield that bats deep, a premier ruckman, solid defence and one of the best key forward's in the game to build around.

In what is increasingly becoming a close competition that mental barrier is what may decide the fortunes for the Dees for season 17' and beyond.
You're placing too much stock in the last 2 games of the year when the youngest and least experienced side in the AFL hit the wall. We beat GWS in round 23 2015 and they should have won the flag this year. Last games of the year with nothing to play for mean very little. Naturally, you're welcome to your view.

And we didn't "wilt very very badly". We won 3 leass quarters for the H&A than the eventual premiers. We had only one 10 goal plus thumping. We beat Hawthorn, Port Adelaide away, GWS. Collingwood for the third time in a row, including Queen's birthday, plus other solid results. How we didn't beat West Coast over there with the way we dominated that game was extraordinary.

But yes, the Carlton and Essendon losses were poor. The youngest team in the comp will have those.

Failure for mine.

I have noticed this too. I think it'll be a failure if they don't make the 8 because that may not bode well in the long run.
I remember when Richmond were talented enough to make the 8 in 2012 but failed to do so with the amount of close losses they had that season. I think that really set the tone for the Hardwick era, where we would choke every time we got to a final after that.

If Melbourne is after a Premiership in this rebuild, I think they need to send a strong message to the competition that they are not a weak club given their last 10 years or so. Richmond did not do this. A good way to do that would be to make finals and at least win one final this season and then work hard in the off-season and the following year to get into the top 4 group and at least make a Prelim. Bulldogs showed that you can win a Premiership after only 2 years in the finals series as a young side.

Missing finals this year would hamper this progression

We paid for Roos. The rest is correct.

Although, with only 11 players remaining from the 2013 season I consider our improved list and development to be spectacular and hardly "mediocre at best". You'll get a taste in 2017.

You seem to be recalling previous rebuilds, which clearly failed.

Spectacular based on what? Melbourne and have still achieved nothing despite a multitude of high picks.

Spectacular based on what? Melbourne and have still achieved nothing despite a multitude of high picks.
The high picks thing is a myth now. It was valid years ago. Keep up

I'd say he's referring to the development from being "the worst club since Fitzroy" to where we are now.

People have stupidly short memories

Of course it's a failure. They last played finals in 2000 or something they should've rebuilt a new list by 07 or thereabouts.

That within 3 years the statistically 5th worst VFL/AFL team in history (you know, in over 100 years) won 10 matches at nearly 100% and has one of the most talented lists in the competition. It was also the youngest. Not young and crap, young (youngest) and winning 10 games.

But yes, your view is corroborated for another 12 months and we need to deliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough, the more I look at this thread the more I think everyone except Melbourne supporters has higher expectations of the team than the actual faithful.

The unfortunate reality is that we've all been down this road before and are just waiting for something to come out, whack us behind the knees, kick us in the nuts and rub our noses in it. It's happened so often over the last decade that until Melbourne are actually in a final I don't think we will believe it. I certainly won't.

Personally, I'm still of the opinion that it'll be nice if we make it, but we're part of the glut of sides from 6-14 and realistically only three of those nine sides will make it. Do I think we're at the upper end of that glut? Yeah. Does that count for anything? Not really. If we end up ninth on 12 wins with a reasonable percentage...yeah, it'll suck, but at the same time the side will have improved and the new 18-side era means that you need to be winning 14 games to guarantee September, and I don't think we're up to that yet.

That said, if the side wins less than 10 games for the year I'll be woefully disappointed.

The unfortunate reality is that we've all been down this road before and are just waiting for something to come out, whack us behind the knees, kick us in the nuts and rub our noses in it. It's happened so often over the last decade that until Melbourne are actually in a final I don't think we will believe it.
I couldn't agree less.

This rebuild and list structure is very different to previous incarnations and my past experiences don't infiltrate my logic nor my eyes.

Your view is mildly neurotic.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, the more I look at this thread the more I think everyone except Melbourne supporters has higher expectations of the team than the actual faithful.

Bigfooty staple. Overhype a team more than said respective teams supporters so they can sink the boots in if they fail to live up to the hyperinflated expectations.

The dees should make the 8 but improvement doesn't always translate to a straight line up the ladder.

I'd love it even more if they make the top 4 but one step at a time.
Please take you sensible post elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

In what way is a multitude of high picks a myth?
As I said CURRENTLY, it is a myth, it was true years ago, but you'd have to be a moron to still say it, current clubs first round draft picks on list (not including traded in players):
Adelaide: 8
Brisbane: 7
Carlton: 10
Collingwood: 7
Essendon: 10
Freo: 6
Geelong: 8
Gold Coast: 15
GWS: 15
Hawthorn: 7
Melbourne: 9
North: 11
Port: 8
RIchmond: 10
St Kilda: 9
Sydney: 8
West Coast: 8
Western Bulldogs: 7
Average is 9
Average without GWS/GC is 8.3

So they are average for "high picks", and below your mob for it too. Research is your friend, child.

As I said CURRENTLY, it is a myth, it was true years ago, but you'd have to be a moron to still say it, current clubs first round draft picks on list (not including traded in players):
Adelaide: 8
Brisbane: 7
Carlton: 10
Collingwood: 7
Essendon: 10
Freo: 6
Geelong: 8
Gold Coast: 15
GWS: 15
Hawthorn: 7
Melbourne: 9
North: 11
Port: 8
RIchmond: 10
St Kilda: 9
Sydney: 8
West Coast: 8
Western Bulldogs: 7
Average is 9
Average without GWS/GC is 8.3

So they are average for "high picks", and below your mob for it too. Research is your friend, child.

First round picks are hardly equal. Having consistent access to top 5 picks over the last 6 or 7 years means Melbourne should quite clearly be aiming for finals this year. If they weren't so poor at drafting and development they would have made the rise from cellar dwellers much sooner.

It's also insane to label Melbourne's rebuild a success so soon as it's relatively easy to make the jump from bottom to middle of the road.

First round picks are hardly equal. Having consistent access to top 5 picks over the last 6 or 7 years means Melbourne should quite clearly be aiming for finals this year. If they weren't so poor at drafting and development they would have made the rise from cellar dwellers much sooner.

It's also insane to label Melbourne's rebuild a success so soon as it's relatively easy to make the jump from bottom to middle of the road.
I haven't said the rebuild is successful yet.

Melbourne has 4 top 5 picks in the last 7 years:
- 2012 Melbourne traded 2 first round picks for a mini draft pick (counting that as top 5)
- 2014 one of the picks was a compo pick for losing Frawley
- 2015 Melbourne traded pick 6, 29 and our 2016 first rounder to get pick 3

So other than trading and losing players (which is called smart management) where has this consistent access been?

Do you actually try to gain knowledge before making claims?

Also the bolded is just plain obvious, however the "they" you refer to is two regimes of staff that were sacked, and has required us to need to claw back from. It's like claiming Worsfold is a failure because of what the last regime did to the club.

I only notice 2 sides whose supporters constantly overrate compared to the rest of BF
1. Hawks- In their case I just think they're used to their club meeting high expectations and it really doesn't occurr to them they could fail.
2. Port Adelaide- I have some history with SA and they've always bèen the most one-eyed supporters I've ever known. Belief isn't a bad thing and it may be learned memory from the Magpies long successful record.

Melbourne supporters are like most supports would be if their club had a young talented list from what I see. Looking forward to the season with some concerns about the need to put it all together and win at least 13 games.
Why are you quoting me?

This wasn't my post

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Back