If the Dees don't make the eight is it a failure?

Will it be a failure?

• Yes

Votes: 398 75.2%
  • No

Votes: 131 24.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow.
Are you the most salty poster on bigfooty? Certainly top 5 but could easily be number 1.
Apparently "playing s**t for 3/4" is some random factor that prevented the saints winning. Was nothing to do with Melbourne, the saints just decided to not play.

The only thing getting BTFO right now is my sides after reading all the comments of delusional Melbourne supporters.

There are plenty of factors that didn't go the saints way during that game. In fact St. Kilda should have creamed them by 10 goals, but I'm sure some "objective" Melbourne supporter will pop up on here to tell me otherwise.

St. Kilda will still finish far above Melbourne this year. Expect Melbourne to get a massive Reality Check against Carlton, while the Saints go on their way to a good win out West over the eagles.
Your Mother must have dropped you on your head when you were a baby.

Even Mark Fine and other Saints supporters say they were flattered by a 30 point loss, because Melbourne creamed them through the midfield.

117 more disposals, 8 more tackles, 59 more marks, 35 more hitouts, 12 more inside 50's, 8 more contested possessions, 107 more uncontested possessions, 13 more clearances, 5 more centre clearances, and 7 more marks inside 50.

The Saints were belted.

Saints were trying.... just didn't get close. IMO Best performance by the Dees for years.
Hawks game last year was better, and geelong game the year before

The only thing getting BTFO right now is my sides after reading all the comments of delusional Melbourne supporters.

There are plenty of factors that didn't go the saints way during that game. In fact St. Kilda should have creamed them by 10 goals, but I'm sure some "objective" Melbourne supporter will pop up on here to tell me otherwise.

St. Kilda will still finish far above Melbourne this year. Expect Melbourne to get a massive Reality Check against Carlton, while the Saints go on their way to a good win out West over the eagles.
Oh look whose back for more egg on his face :$

Sorry Saints fans. This flog has doomed you to a loss this week.

You tell me, something to do with Schwab but the reasons weren't really made clear. But implode they did. I think that's why many are wary of jumping on the Melbourne bandwagon.

The reasons were made clear, there are plenty of articles about what was going on around that time. Caroline Wilson wrote a fantastic spread on the topic.

The administration were an absolute rabble, full of back-slappers who lead the club in a completely unprofessional way. After Stynes got cancer and was unable to steer the ship the rot set in, it didn't help that the footy department was set up extremely poorly and the players basically believed they ran the place.

Sacking Bailey was wallpaper over the cracks and it showed as soon as Neeld came in. The toxic set up was allowed to poison the club for the next year and a half before the AFL stepped in to take the reigns, before Melbourne was destroyed by an incompetent boys club.

The AFL hired a true professional with experience in creating a successful, sustainable football club in Peter Jackson. He sacked the majority of the administration and the football department and brought in Roos to take care of the on field side of things while Jackson rebuilt the administration.

I've never seen a more comprehensive turn-over of a football club, we were basically changed into a completely new organisation in that period. The legacy of the current state of the Melbourne Football Club should be judged from 2014 onwards.

Eh, you're just trolling now.

Enjoy your clubs great win rather than getting salty because you made yourself look like an idiot on here.

If you think the Saints will win out West you have another thing coming. The only Saints player to be ranked by the AFLCA was Riewoldt and he's out, they may break even in the ruck contest but Mitchell and Priddis will eat their midfield for breakfast.

Disagree. Both great wins and bigger upsets, but this was a more mature performance. We beat our bogey side at our bogey venue under the pressure of enormous expectation. Didn't feel as flukey to me as the games you mentioned.
Both geelong (at Simonds) and hawthorn were bogeys before those games. We suffered our greatest ever loss to geelong down there recently, that was a much much bigger bogey than the saints at Etihad.

Both geelong (at Simonds) and hawthorn were bogeys before those games. We suffered our greatest ever loss to geelong down there recently, that was a much much bigger bogey than the saints at Etihad.
True enough, but I still think the fact that we delivered on the expectation to perform in this game counts for a lot - it's where Melbourne has let itself down so much over the years. Time will tell, but if we go on to have a good year I think the saints game will rank pretty highly.

For the life of me I will never understand the hype around this current Melbourne group. They were demolished quite often last season, and they got rolled against a bunch of fill ins for Essendon who hadn't even got the chance to really gel together. Don't get me wrong, I think they have some quality players, but they're the ones we only hear about. Half of their senior list at this stage are "literally" who's. Keep hearing comparisons between them and St. Kilda...St. Kilda are so far ahead it's not even funny. You only have to look at last year's results and compare them with each other. I'm not saying St. Kilda will win a flag before Melbourne, both teams have a long way to go and a lot can change in the years to come. But at this stage to be saying both teams are on par with Melbourne is ridiculous.

There is a slight chance Melbourne could make the 8, and if they do it should be regarded as a success. At this stage I have 6 teams clearly ahead of them, and I've been generous enough to exclude Adelaide and Hawthorn from that 6. It's even debatable whether Melbourne are better than Essendon, Collingwood or Richmond right now.
How's that Melb/StK comparison going for ya legend?

There are plenty of factors that didn't go the saints way during that game. St. Kilda will still finish far above Melbourne this year.
Yeah, "plenty of factors didn't go the saints way" because we outplayed them for the majority of the game. Yeah nah, Saints won't "finish far above Melbourne this year". They could finish above us but it wouldn't be by much and that win by the Dees is enough for me to now consider them the better team currently and the most likely team from outside of the 8 to make finals this year. I originally rated the Saints higher than the Dees going into this year. I think you're in for a bit of a reality check in thinking St Kilda will still "finish far above Melbourne this year", I would have thought you'd have already been given one from what happened on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, "plenty of factors didn't go the saints way" because we outplayed them for the majority of the game. Yeah nah, Saints won't "finish far above Melbourne this year". They could finish above us but it wouldn't be by much and that win by the Dees is enough for me to now consider them the better team currently and the most likely team from outside of the 8 to make finals this year. I originally rated the Saints higher than the Dees going into this year. I think you're in for a bit of a reality check in thinking St Kilda will still "finish far above Melbourne this year", I would have thought you'd have already been given one from what happened on Saturday.
It's hard to watch actual games of footy from under a bridge

The reasons were made clear, there are plenty of articles about what was going on around that time. Caroline Wilson wrote a fantastic spread on the topic.

The administration were an absolute rabble, full of back-slappers who lead the club in a completely unprofessional way. After Stynes got cancer and was unable to steer the ship the rot set in, it didn't help that the footy department was set up extremely poorly and the players basically believed they ran the place.

Sacking Bailey was wallpaper over the cracks and it showed as soon as Neeld came in. The toxic set up was allowed to poison the club for the next year and a half before the AFL stepped in to take the reigns, before Melbourne was destroyed by an incompetent boys club.

The AFL hired a true professional with experience in creating a successful, sustainable football club in Peter Jackson. He sacked the majority of the administration and the football department and brought in Roos to take care of the on field side of things while Jackson rebuilt the administration.

I've never seen a more comprehensive turn-over of a football club, we were basically changed into a completely new organisation in that period. The legacy of the current state of the Melbourne Football Club should be judged from 2014 onwards.
Great post. Probably sounds familiar to Freo fans too given they got Schwabbed too.

Gawn out for three months, huge blow.
Yep. Next 4 games will be interesting
Freo (MCG)
Tiges (MCG)
Bombers (ES)
Hawks (MCG)

all winnable for the Dees imo

6-1 would look very nice 1/3 through the season

I get the feeling some recent suspensions will come back the bite them and that may see them miss the 8. Undisciplined crap from some players who should be showing leadership qualities, not dropping blokes behind play. If they want to go out there and act like idiots and let their team down by being out of action for weeks then that's a massive problem. Deas are good enough but are they disciplined enough?

Back