If you can accept losing, you can't win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wildmanwok

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham HotSpurs
Young side, reigning premier, playing away from home blah blah blah

If you can accept losing, you can't win.

The creed (remember that?) says there can be honour in defeat provided we leave everything on the field.

Yeah, within 16 points in time-on of the 3rd quarter and losing by 75? Didn't realise we were Port Elliott?

Short of playing with 14 or 15 men, no AFL side should be torched that quickly and easily.

My god is this going to be a long season!

Part of me feels alot of kids were played this week for a lesson. Here boys play against the big boys and take what you will from it.

I doubt they accept losing, what sportsman does.

It's rnd 1 and we played 10 guys with under 50 games expereince against the reigning premiers on their home turf!

Lets give the negativity a rest

im not really sure why this thread exists either

losing sucks... yeah we get that

I guess the lesson is, do we want to be Port Adelaide or do we want to be Richmond?: "During that third quarter I was so proud of our comeback! And on the bright side, Westy kicked 4 and we didn't lose by 100, etc."

That's what I'm picking up?

I was quite disappointed with that game FWIW.

I thought the fightback in the 3rd was promising, but untill we see that for 3+ quarters, and watch sides lose to us by 12 goals, I don't think I'll be completely happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if troll.

Mind blown.

If you meant me, I ask you this.

How many teams will not lose by more than 12 goals when we can stack 8+ goals on in a quarter, for multiple quarters.

I meant the OP.

And Tribey, isn't it a marvelous thing?

The problem isn't losing, it's the fact that we're losing the same way we have for a decade and every loss is groundhog day. Tactically inept. Matty is going to cop it in truckloads from supporters if we have a chocoesque year. Someone needs to teach these guys to play as a team and be accountable for their man and for their own actions. If they can't be taught that, delist them at the end of the year.

im not really sure why this thread exists either

losing sucks... yeah we get that

Nah ive been on a a long swing working away and we hit the the piss tonight and then I read alot of nonsense about gallant loss, playing away, young side, reigning premier, blah blah blah.

And it pissed me off the meek aceptance of losing that I was reading.

Its not acceptable and if we do accept it then, well, IMHO, we have lost the spirit of what PAFC stood for in my boyhood. Never in my life did I ever hear such excuses for losing, until this last few years.

**** me, we sacked the great one in my day for losing.

Sorry if I've upset anyone, Im just angry with losing. I hate it and was bought up what I thought was the Port way, to never accept it.

It hurts me that AFL has changed our steely eyed resolution and determination. For the worse.

Im just a silly old bastard I guess.

We should probably run a sweep on what round 'line in the sand' will be brought out this season. We'll beat West Coast next week but we'll never beat good sides if the players can't be accountable.

The 2nd and 4th quarters today were a page out of Choco's book of war. I'd rather we do absolutely anything but lie prone while being reamed. Hell, go the biff and start throwing our bodies around a bit. Show some passion for the jumper.

It's a good feeling to be down by five goals in the third quarter, seeing that there's just 2:46 left on the clock, and thinking "gee, it would be nice if it doesn't blow out to nine goals by the break."

There's not excuse for how quickly we gave up goals today.

Ideally we'd be a strong chance of winning every week, but it doesn't work like that every week in the AFL.

Collingwood bottomed out at a good time and managed to get some very handy draft picks, including priority picks, and some very handy father/son picks. At the same time, our club did some very ordinary drafting such as in 04 when we picked up Thomson and Willits neither of who are on our list. The failure of Willits, Deluca and Minson as well as the lack of success with Giles, and the lack of a big bodied forward has cost the club big time.

The problem is that we have a large group of mid-aged to senior players who are far too familiar with losing and seem to know what it takes to fall away drastically in matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back