If you were Alastair Clarkson which club would you go to - GWS or Gold Coast?

Which club do you think is closer to a legitimate premiership run?

• Gold Coast

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • GWS

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Now I am making a massive assumption here as Clarkson could do something left of field and want to stay in Melbourne so that would mean he could go to North Melbourne or something like that but right now I think GWS and Gold Coast are both looking likely to need a new coach at the end of the season, GWS definitely and Gold Coast likely, and lets be honest, if Clarkson wanted to go to Gold Coast then that would happen even if Gold Coast don't have a bad year as such.

Now both GWS and Gold Coast have a lot in common. Both expansion clubs, GC17 and WS18, both clubs having been given huge concessions when they joined the competition though both going down different routes, Gold Coast going for experience youth in there and GWS going almost exclusively for youth. Everyone was saying how both clubs would win 2 or 3 premierships each with the amount of concessions they got but neither of those things happened.

Gold Coast never made the top 8 and had serious cultural problems early on, with the god squad on one side and the party drug group on the other. They relied way too much on Gary Ablett Jnr who was a great player but a pretty crappy captain and they have never made the 8 in the time they have been in the competition, them now onto their 3rd rebuild and have in their history had a lot of trouble retaining players, though that seems to be getting better of late.

GWS though has made the 8, and they have made the 8 quite a bit but they also have huge retention issues, issues that unlike Gold Coast they have not seemed to have solved. They have paid huge money to keep some players like Kelly, Coniglio, Taranto and Greene, likely more money than they are worth and as a result their list is imbalanced. They lose players constantly because they can't afford to keep them since a few of their players are taking up so much of their cap. They are also a team that no matter how high on the ladder they got never felt like they played like a cohesive team. They could look amazing on their day but they had no ability what so ever to grind out wins when things were not going their way. They always played like a team of individuals rather than an actual team and even on their best years I got the sense they should be doing a lot better than they actually were with the list they had.

So with all that out of the way you are Alastair Clarkson and you want to go to one of these two clubs, and your primary desire is to go there and win a premeriship. Which club do you think has the better list in terms of building towards a premiership, one that has the building blocks that Clarkson would be looking for when making his decision?

Suns. Better KPPs, potentially elite future midfield; you've got the building blocks there; you just need to draft good smalls and tall depth, tweak the gameplan to address weaknesses, and build fitness, cohesion, and minimise injuries.

I'm sure Clarko would know a thing or two about off-field success being at a colossal like the Hawks for so long. Plus, it'd be awesome for the Gold Coast, who've never had a successful sporting franchise, to have one finally.

I always thought if Dew had a good year this year (say, finish 11th or higher), they could still bring in Clarko in a Paul Roos type role and have him coach the Suns if they go backwards next year.

Don't rule out Port or West Coast either if he wants to go interstate.

One of Gillon's last legacy pieces will be underwriting Clarkson to the Suns, I also agree with Coolangatta that their list is better set up for success in the future and bringing Clarkson on board would help in attracting established players.

GWS have enough elite talent in the right age bracket to contend. He could get them humming pretty much straight away. If the goal is just the easiest path to a flag it would be them.

Goldcoast have elite talent but much younger and less developed. It would take at least 2-3 years for them to be challenging even if everything goes right. Still lots of question marks on the list. But if he could win a flag with them I think the impact on his legacy would be greater given they have been a rabble and he would be getting in at an earlier stage.

If Clarko goes to GWS and wins a flag straight away it probably says as much about Camerons ineptitude as it does about him. If he wins one at Goldcoast hes probably considered the greatest coach ever.

Suns.

He'd be on bigger coin there (AFL desperate to get them competitive and playing finals hence Clarko could virtually name his price) and besides, where would you rather live (why would anyone want to live in Western Sydney FFS)?
Obviously being on the Gold Coast v Western Sydney is a no brainer. If a high profile Melbourne club was available though, surely that would be his first preference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL wouldn't tick off any of the above
Does Alastair Clarkson wish to move from Melbourne? The New CEO will have to find his feet first, but by mid-season, those three clubs will have to make a call and all of them might be considering new options? Although the AFL wants him to coach Interstate, does he?

Does Alastair Clarkson wish to move from Melbourne? The New CEO will have to find his feet first, but by mid-season, those three clubs will have to make a call and all of them might be considering new options? Although the AFL wants him to coach Interstate, does he?

The AFL would almost definitely want him at Gold Coast or GWS, and would find a way to top up his salary to ensure it happens.

Essendon and Richmond are already big clubs, they don't care about North.

Not an interstate side as such, I doubt the AFL particularly want him at West Coast, but I think the AFL would very much want him at one of GWS or Gold Coast as the AFL wants both those clubs to improve and are willing to spend the money needed to make it happen.

Does Clarko even want to move to the Gold Coast?
3968a41b472ec6768fb0228da787d96b.jpg

Gold Coast. Short term results would be more forgiving and if he succeeds short term he looks like a genius.

GWS want instant gratification with the list they have. No upside
The AFL are so desperate for the Suns to succeed they would be willing to pay any price to get Clarko up there.

If he did end up there, it might also entice (better) players from other clubs to go up there to play under him.

Back