I'm all in next season

Remove this Banner Ad

El_Scorcho I thought Lycett was the main ruck because big Nat was out injured... 🤔🤷‍♂️ I could be wrong.

Not defending Lycett... Im all for Hayes taking over.

Lycett split the taps with Vardy, basically 50/50.

Players worse than Lycett have won flags, and he could absolutely be lead ruck in a premiership side. But the idea that his injury this year cost us a chance at a flag is laughable. He's just a solid ruckman. He's not an important, transformative player.

Players worse than Lycett have won flags, and he could absolutely be lead ruck in a premiership side. But the idea that his injury this year cost us a chance at a flag is laughable. He's just a solid ruckman. He's not an important, transformative player.
Janus always pins a crap season on mediocre players missing through injury it's nothing new.

So I wasn't completely wrong..😉he just split it with Vardy instead of Nic Nat.

Scott Lycett won his premiership as part of a 2 ruck setup where he took about half the stoppages. He's just a mid level ruckman who wouldn't be first ruck at many clubs. Letting Ryder go in favour of him was ultimately a mistake.

Exactly. He just played his role. Winning hitouts is the most overrated stat in terms of its influence on the result. What is more important is how your ruck gets back and fills in the hole so opposition are forced to switch to the other side of the ground, which is something that Lycett excels at.

You can see this in how many one on one contests that Jonas, Clurey and Aliir had to compete in during the course of the year. The problem is that you look at Lycett and just see his performance as a ruck. I look at him and see how his non-inclusion affects our team defensively - to the point where we preferred going with Finlayson (3 defensive contested one on ones for 0 losses in 20 games) and Dixon (5 defensive contested one on ones for 1 loss in 12 games) in ruck rather than rucking Hayes (4 defensive contested one on ones for 3 losses in 7 games). Again, Lycett's stats this year were 4 defensive contested one on ones for 0 losses in 4 games.

Lycett, Dixon and Fantasia play the entire year, and suddenly the opposition has to worry about Dixon in the forward line which means they keep their defenders back, which allows us to get our press going, which creates more pressure on our opponents, which brings Aliir more into the frame. Fantasia playing the majority of games this year would have been good for a goal a game at the very least - do we think that Orazio would have missed the goals that Sam Mayes missed against the Crows? I don't.

The reason I'm okay with what happened this year is because getting talent like Rioli and Horne-Francis would absolutely not have been possible if we ended up playing finals without trading out talent like Bergman or Georgiades, which may have improved our list (because a mid like Horne-Francis is worth more than a guy like Bergman) but it wouldn't have given us the edge that this trade period has given us. I think Bergman is going to turn into something special and Georgiades with a decent fitness base could destroy teams next season.

If we went into this years draft with our natural draft selections (Pick 8, Pick 27 for losing Amon etc), I would be depressed because quite frankly I don't rate this draft at all. But turning 8, plus our first and second next year into Horne-Francis, Rioli, a second round pick tied to Collingwood (who I think will slide) and North's third round pick? That's pants down lap around the table time.

lycett was absolute dog s**t. we immediately got better when sam hayes came in because lycett got destroyed in literally every game he played.

he also cost us a GF berth in 2020 with how bad he got wrecked by nank the tank in the last quarter.

lycett was absolute dog s**t. we immediately got better when sam hayes came in because lycett got destroyed in literally every game he played.

he also cost us a GF berth in 2020 with how bad he got wrecked by nank the tank in the last quarter.
Nank worth 3 Brownlow votes every time he plays us.

Lycett is fine, but he's not an outstanding around the ground ruckman. Even if we buy into your absolute garbage argument, his contested defensive 1 on 1 numbers are good, but they're just good. They aren't anything special and they aren't fundamentally changing how we're playing.

As for Lycett's absence forcing the Key Defenders to get to way more contests, contested defensive 1 on 1 numbers:

Aliir
2021: 119
2022: 75

Jonas
2021: 70
2022: 46

McKenzie
2021: 52
2022: 26

Clurey
2021: 49
2022: 65

Burton
2021: 32
2022: 30

I guess you could argue that Lycett's absence meant teams just cut through us like butter and we didn't even get to contests, but you're drawing a long bow. Lycett isn't a noted contested marker. At all. If we just need someone to sit in a hole, why not try to teach a more talented ruckman to do it instead of spending the season where Lycett is injured doing absolutely nothing to further our ruck division.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back