I'm all in next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, we will easily make the top 8 ... Our final position this year is universally seen as under-performing, and not representative of the true quality of the team. Since then, we have significantly added to the quality of the list, with more to come.

A better coach would have got us into the finals this year, and be serious contenders next year. Nevertheless, even with Ken still at the helm, we will have a marked improve next year.
A Hinkley-led Port is only capable of making a deep finals push in a COVID-compromised season. Don’t think that’s it’s impossible that we sneak into the 8, I just don’t think we will

We will have the most organic growth of any team. We have so many young guns that could easily take it to the next level, as well as senior players who carried injuries most of the season. As much as Hinkley is an absolute dud, our young core list is in such a great spot.

• Duursma and Bergman with an actual preseason and fit
  • Rozee another preseason developing and training in the midfield
  • Butters fit with full preseason
and full time midfield
  • Houston hand injury he had for half the season finally healed up
  • Fantasia actually having a preseason and staying fit (lol)
  • Rioli getting fit and playing full season
  • Hayes working on his tank and actually being picked ahead of Lycett
  • JHF full preseason in a positive environment going into his second year
  • Farrell a full year and a half post knee reco and full preseason
  • Marshall another year development after a huge year
  • Mitch a full preseason after going to US with Boak and over his foot injury he basically had all year
  • Aliir over his hand injury he carried most of the year
  • Another year on for Lachie Jones
  • Josh Sinn getting over his injuries and having a full preseason
  • Visentini another year older and continue to develop
  • Teakle first full preseason at an AFL team
  • Jase Burgoyne another year on after showing great signs this season, hopefully putting on a bit more size.
  • Dixon fit from the start of the year, not just half way through.

Will all of these things happen? Absolutely not, however if even half of them do, it’s a massive improvement on last year. All we lost was an aging Robbie who really didn’t offer much last year, Amon who is a decent size loss, but hopefully partly replaceable with one of the above and Motlop who was no longer best 22.

Last edited:
Also have to factor in that we no longer have Robbie to literally win 4-5 games a year completely off his own boot. He was unable to do that in 2022, and it showed. I see another 9-12th placed finish next year.

It shouldn't be this way, however, sometimes when stars go, it forces a new star to rise. I'm sure this will be the case. There's no get out of jail free card now.

I can definitely see us making the 8 and even though I dropped $200 on us to win the flag we won't .
And that's fine move on Ken get a big bodied KPD and Pickett and away we go.
It's the young talent that we have managed to assemble compared to say Adelaide which is so exciting.
Even though we have finished above them for the last 5 yrs we have much better youth in my opinion.

I checked out this year even before the season. That PF loss hit hard and to have our coaching panel get reduced without replacing anyone felt like this was just going to be a treading water season.

However, I'm much more excited about 2023.

Josh Carr, Horne-Francis, Rioli joining the team.
Sinn, Visentini, Lord, Teakle in line to step up.
Bassett back in defence.
Chadbro doing big cums with the forwards.
One last Hinkley roll of the dice.

We won't win it all, but we'll start to see where our future is.

Serious question - what have we done to address the issue of not beating top 8 sides?
See previous post

Democratic Party Yes GIF by Kamala Harris

Trade week inspired some enthusiasm and hope. Very much looking forward to the development of our youth. But not looking forward to our overall performance.

Our easier draw will see is kill the weaker sides and cover the cracks of not being able to put away the better sides. At best, we will hit our ceiling which is a prelim loss. Bla bla bla. Rinse and repeat.

You could literally do a pafc/Ken hinkley graph that will predict this. Infact, I think one of you guys have already done one. You'd be the eternal optimist to expect any better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the posters that think we will improve, do you think Ken will change his gameplan?

I get the enthusiasm with the young players but with the development of the young players you also get another year older for Jonas, Boak, Dixon, etc (Gray gone too).

I agree we have a good young list and I'm excited to see their individual progress, but I cannot see Ken changing tac. Every other coach in the league knows what Ken is going to present now. There's never a surprise.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I reckon 2023 is a wasted year and all I hope is that Ken doesn't set fire to the place on his way out by playing guys like McEntee and Francis Evans over young exciting prospects.

Off season isn't off season for players who actually want to improve for next season. Boaky mentoring the young guys in his Red Bull US camp to do just that.

View attachment 1539079View attachment 1539080
This is brilliant.
Very promising with 3 of our young future stars.
Wonder if Boak chose them or if they approached him?
Obviously Georgie was never leaving the club this off season.
Anyway hopefully we keep Boak in some capacity when he finishes up onfield. He is such a great mentor, a wonderful example.
And just imagine if JHF were to join him next year . Kaboom.

If we sacked him and went backwards then so be it, by not sacking him we stay in this purgatory limbo of knowing we aren't going to beat top sides and not go any higher than his 10 year tested high water mark of a PF loss... With a change there's a chance we might go backwards, but there's also a chance we get someone better equipped to beat top 8 sides consistently, have some tactical nous and finally challenge for a premiership by actually making the GF. We know what we have done for the last decade doesn't work, so the idea that we should stay with him because we might get someone worse if we sack him is a scared copout at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back