News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't understand the Qld hub. I thought their government had said 14 days quarantine for anything from Melbourne.

What happens after Rd 10? We have to go back up to bloody Queensland again?

They can send two more Victorian teams to repeat the exercise, so we get 7 games at Optus. Not sure if it needs to happen in a row for quarantine purposes. However it happens, I would expect 4 games in NSW/QLD (maybe a 2/2 split) in the second half of the year.

How can they say that this season is fair when some teams aren't even going to have to travel
When have they ever said the season is fair? They are doing a pretty good job imo given they have 5 state governments all with different restrictions. The season was never going to be fair, nothing in 2020 is fair but they are at least trying.

When have they ever said the season is fair? They are doing a pretty good job imo given they have 5 state governments all with different restrictions. The season was never going to be fair, nothing in 2020 is fair but they are at least trying.
Gil in today’s presser seems to think it will all be fair and equitable by the end of the year, so you can make your own mind up if you think it is the case.

What happens after Rd 10? We have to go back up to bloody Queensland again?
what I wrote was just more an example of how it could be done, believe the plan atm is for us to have 7 games at home (WCE, then 6 other teams rolling through the hub), with the rest of the season yet to be decided

I still don't understand the Qld hub. I thought their government had said 14 days quarantine for anything from Melbourne.
think they’ll be in quarantine for 14 days but allowed to play each other and train during those 14 days.

What was the reason for switching Melbourne out for St Kilda for this week’s game?

I can’t see it being manageable for the AFL to fixture each club to play every other club. The combinations and permutations are enormous, and locking teams in hubs makes it difficult to ensure that all the clubs in different places aren’t doubling up or missing out. It’s a fixturing nightmare, and it’ll very very interesting to see how they manage it. They’ll need a team of mathematicians to get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a second wave coming in Vic, and if it gets over the border, its game on again.
Don't be complacent people, this is an insidious virus.
Can't see 60,000 @ Optus

I have been a lifelong labor voter but Mark MaClowan is doing my head in as an ex military bloke he is unbearable they take everything a step too far the world is not ending Melbourne has had an outbreak due to overseas arrivals not quarantining correctly there are 18 cases in WA lets get on with it if we ever get an outbreak we can deal with it.
This covid could be around for another 2 years or more need to carry on with normal life while we can here in WA.

I have been a lifelong labor voter but Mark MaClowan is doing my head in as an ex military bloke he is unbearable they take everything a step too far the world is not ending Melbourne has had an outbreak due to overseas arrivals not quarantining correctly there are 18 cases in WA lets get on with it if we ever get an outbreak we can deal with it.
This covid could be around for another 2 years or more need to carry on with normal life while we can here in WA.

He's been pretty bloody good

What was the reason for switching Melbourne out for St Kilda for this week’s game?

I can’t see it being manageable for the AFL to fixture each club to play every other club. The combinations and permutations are enormous, and locking teams in hubs makes it difficult to ensure that all the clubs in different places aren’t doubling up or missing out. It’s a fixturing nightmare, and it’ll very very interesting to see how they manage it. They’ll need a team of mathematicians to get it right.
Melbourne must be one of the hotspot postcodes whereas St Kilda must not. QLD gov has disallowed the Victorian hotspot suburbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back