Independent doctors at every match

Remove this Banner Ad

I would even give the doctors the ability to drag a player and force a interchange as well

Last year Hopper refused to come to the interchange in order to not get a concussion test after a heavy knock

He eventually made his way to the interchange after about 10 mins and reappeared efforts to let him know to leave the field and was subbed out and missed a few games

Don’t get me wrong I do admire his passion to stay out on field to an extent but at the end of the day it’s just a game and not worth risking health for some pride

Doctors should have the ability to force a stoppage if need be and force a player off the ground

Or if a player is refusing to leave the field for a test have an automatic free against and just have the doctors instruct the umpires if a player is actively avoiding the test

Alot of armchair doctors in this thread.

The doctors make the same assessment we do based on the vision. His head massively bounced off the deck. The doctors aren't magical genies deciding if there's concussion or not based on the vibe. Anyone could see he had a massive head knock. Anyone could also see that the doctor/trainer tried to get him off 3 times and he wouldn't budge.

Your post makes no sense, Cameron wasn't assessed under the rules, because there were 5 minutes left and he decides to ignore the doc and stay out there.

for gods sake, if he answers the questions that’s he us fine the he is fine.
Just two years ago not one of you gave a crap about concussion and now if the wind blows hard next to someone’s head you all think the guys is concussed.
Just end thes-oft and make it non contact, you will all be happy.
greatest pisstake ever, no one can be this dopey

Everying in the AFL is open to interpretation and gets bent at the discretion of the administration.

There are no rules in the AFL. None.
This.

They deliberately leave everything grey and open to interpretation so as to arrive at desired outcomes.
You'd like to believe independant Drs would be the logical answer but it reduces the grey, so the cynic in me says it'd only be a matter of time before they'd be given 'direction' from above on the desired outcome.

What a lot of people seem to want is an automatic interchange and test for any player who gets a head knock.

You don’t need a doctor for that, just somebody watching the vision. They could then direct the player to be taken from the ground and tested.

Not saying it’s what happened last night, but it’s easy for a doctor to miss something like a head knock in play. If they’re dealing with somebody else - and they’re dealing with players a lot during a game - they’re not watching the game or the vision.

A lot of supporters sit there watching a game on TV and somehow seem to think that club staff - coaches, doctors - are doing the same and see everything that they see.

Gameday on the bench and coaches box are very hectic, people arent sitting around watching the telecast with the commentary like you are.

Under the current rules, the AFL ARC can and has called for players to be removed for a concussion check.

The fact that they TOO failed in their role shows just how laughable the entire league is, and how bullshit their whole “tHe hEd iS SaCRoSanCT” crusade is.

In all serious, the Geelong club doctor’s ability to hold a medical licence should be challenged after last night, as no doctor in good conscience and upholding their Hippocratic Oath would allow Cameron to stay out there.

It took a while for the play to leave his area and it looks like he just bluntly refused to go off. It's pretty hard for a doc in that environment to argue with a player while the ball is pinging around near them.

If we want them to be able to get players off then it needs to be independent and like the blood rule. You can't have a doctor standing in the middle of play while a player stamps their feet and refuses to come off.

It took a while for the play to leave his area and it looks like he just bluntly refused to go off. It's pretty hard for a doc in that environment to argue with a player while the ball is pinging around near them.

If we want them to be able to get players off then it needs to be independent and like the blood rule. You can't have a doctor standing in the middle of play while a player stamps their feet and refuses to come off.
So you don’t reckon, if a doctor went to the umpire metres away and said “mate, stop the game, I have to get this guy off”, the umpire wouldn’t stop the game?

I guarantee he would.

The doctor wasn’t that desperate to get Cameron off, which says it all..

The doctors make the same assessment we do based on the vision. His head massively bounced off the deck. The doctors aren't magical genies deciding if there's concussion or not based on the vibe. Anyone could see he had a massive head knock. Anyone could also see that the doctor/trainer tried to get him off 3 times and he wouldn't budge.

Your post makes no sense, Cameron wasn't assessed under the rules, because there were 5 minutes left and he decides to ignore the doc and stay out there.
No.

The Dr's might look at the vision the same as us, but then they go talk to the player and review the footage in slow motion and then use their 5 years of training and decades of experience to make a much more informed decision than you or I.

They then have to justify that stance when the AFL asks them for a please explain and threaten their medical reputation if they are found to have made the wrong call. When it comes back that Cameron is totally fine what's the punishment for the OP for starting this thread?

No.

The Dr's might look at the vision the same as us, but then they go talk to the player and review the footage in slow motion and then use their 5 years of training and decades of experience to make a much more informed decision than you or I.

They then have to justify that stance when the AFL asks them for a please explain and threaten their medical reputation if they are found to have made the wrong call. When it comes back that Cameron is totally fine what's the punishment for the OP for starting this thread?

Wtf are you talking about? They saw the vision, wanted him off, the doc couldn't get him to come off. The HIA isn't asking the player "are you ok" - of course Cameron is gonna say yes.

You've completely missed the point that the doctor didn't GET to do an assessment because Cameron stayed on the ground. The doctor had 3 tries at getting him off to assess him properly.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has the week off next week, given the big concussion he had last year, plus he had another head clash with Drew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

Haha punishment? I deserve punishment for suggesting that the AFL have independent doctors at every match, something that the AFL is currently considering, something that was recommended by the coronial inquest into Tuck’s death, something the NRL already do?

Embarrassing take.

I do think there's a lot of misunderstanding about how concussion assessments work. The first step is a HIA (head injury assessment) which is a rapid tool used to screen an incident. This involves reviewing available footage and also checking the player to check certain things such as whether they're unsteady on their feet, coherent etc. That player check can be done on field, they don't have to come off for it (as was the case last night). Following a HIA, there can be escalation to a SCAT6 test which is the one which takes 15 minutes.

Whether Cameron or Drew should have passed the HIA, particularly Cameron's given the footage, is a different question which requires better knowledge of the situation, but both players not coming off last night was not necessarily breaking any protocol.

There was vision on Tom Liberatore last week in the 1st qtr where he copped a head high hit and received a free kick. H looks a little dazed by it at first and takes a few seconds to shake it off and actually get ready to take the kick.

Obviously going on what eventuated late in the game and his collapse a few weeks before. Was very surprised there wasn't more scrutiny on the 1st qtr incident particular from the media.

Haha punishment? I deserve punishment for suggesting that the AFL have independent doctors at every match, something that the AFL is currently considering, something that was recommended by the coronial inquest into Tuck’s death, something the NRL already do?

Embarrassing take.

100k fine for criticising the doctor, who can never make mistakes. You can send it directly to my bank account to ensure its paid promptly

I do think there's a lot of misunderstanding about how concussion assessments work. The first step is a HIA (head injury assessment) which is a rapid tool used to screen an incident. This involves reviewing available footage and also checking the player to check certain things such as whether they're unsteady on their feet, coherent etc. That player check can be done on field, they don't have to come off for it (as was the case last night). Following a HIA, there can be escalation to a SCAT6 test which is the one which takes 15 minutes.

Whether Cameron or Drew should have passed the HIA, particularly Cameron's given the footage, is a different question which requires better knowledge of the situation, but both players not coming off last night was not necessarily breaking any protocol.

So a doctor watching his head bounce off the turf, taking a while to get up, and then looking dazed for the next while was all A-OK?

Anyone with eyes can see that they wanted him off.

And the independent doctor will be overly cautious and any head knock will have the player taken from the ground - because they have no relationship with the player or the team and will only worry about their own negligence if they dont remove the player.

So we will end up with far too many players sitting out who havent got any problems.

Its now the next day. Has Cameron been declared unavailable for next week due to concussion protocols?

And the independent doctor will be overly cautious and any head knock will have the player taken from the ground - because they have no relationship with the player or the team and will only worry about their own negligence if they dont remove the player.

So we will end up with far too many players sitting out who havent got any problems.

Its now the next day. Has Cameron been declared unavailable for next week due to concussion protocols?
Is it better to be overly cautious with concussion? In my view, definitely. An independent doctor will largely take the same approach as a club doctor, only without the pressure that comes with making a potentially match outcome-defining decision. It’s about improving the process in the interests of player welfare. It’s not a drastic change, but I think it would be an improvement on the current process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back