Independent doctors at every match

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it better to be overly cautious with concussion? In my view, definitely. An independent doctor will largely take the same approach as a club doctor, only without the pressure that comes with making a potentially match outcome-defining decision. It’s about improving the process in the interests of player welfare. It’s not a drastic change, but I think it would be an improvement on the current process.

Do you want King taken off late in a final when youre a goal down and lose - and it turn out he had no issue ?

Should "independent" doctors have that sort of impact on a grand final ?

Do you want King taken off late in a final when youre a goal down and lose - and it turn out he had no issue ?

Should "independent" doctors have that sort of impact on a grand final ?
Well you won’t believe me but absolutely. I’ve worried about concussions for a while now, ever since Paddy McCartin’s first one almost 10 years ago. I don’t like seeing anyone suffer a concussion and I absolutely wouldn’t want a player endangering their lives over a game of footy, even in a GF. Repeat head knocks can be very bad.

If Port can cop that big fine from last year, then the same must apply with last night, otherwise it’s just another example of the pathetic double standards that apply with this once great comp.

If you don't see the difference between Aliir's condition after that knock and Camerons you are incredibly biased. Whether Cameron should have come off is debatable, but he was not in the same condition as Aliir last year.

If you don't see the difference between Aliir's condition after that knock and Camerons you are incredibly biased. Whether Cameron should have come off is debatable, but he was not in the same condition as Aliir last year.
Aliir actually came off though, did all of the hia tests and then went back on. He didn’t complete the 15 minute scat 5 test though which is what we got a fine for. For Cameron to not even leave the ground to be assessed in that situation is a joke. For you to not see the double standard in that is also incredibly biased.

Aliir actually came off though, did all of the hia tests and then went back on. He didn’t complete the 15 minute scat 5 test though which is what we got a fine for. For Cameron to not even leave the ground to be assessed in that situation is a joke. For you to not see the double standard in that is also incredibly biased.

Aliir was visibly stunned on the field by a head knock and lying on the ground. Cameron was not.

As I said whether he should have come off anyway is a matter for debate. If you want to argue these are the same go for it.

I hate port and as biased as they come

Geelong should get the same punishment as port. It’s the same thing.

Aliir was visibly stunned on the field by a head knock and lying on the ground. Cameron was not.

As I said whether he should have come off anyway is a matter for debate. If you want to argue these are the same go for it.
I don’t think they are exactly the same. In fact I hated the way that the incident was handled by port. But you cannot argue that he wasn’t dazed. He stayed on the ground for an extended period before getting up. And unsurprisingly post game he has now entered concussion protocols. He stayed on in a tight game when he should have come off. It’s an integrity issue and if Geelong don’t get fined port have a case to have their fine rescinded.

I don’t think they are exactly the same. In fact I hated the way that the incident was handled by port. But you cannot argue that he wasn’t dazed. He stayed on the ground for an extended period before getting up. And unsurprisingly post game he has now entered concussion protocols. He stayed on in a tight game when he should have come off. It’s an integrity issue and if Geelong don’t get fined port have a case to have their fine rescinded.

Fair enough. Good luck with getting that fine rescinded though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't think the Cameron one looked too bad to be honest.
NB: I do NOT have a medical degree.

Good job on proving you don't actually care about health and safety because "yeah nah it's not too bad he'll be right", he slammed his head into the turf. He should have come off. Doesn't matter if it looks bad or not, get him checked out.

Not sure what the issue is. Protocols were followed, including the use of the ARC. Now on Saturday Cameron has shown delayed concussion symptoms.

As per the AFL’s concussion guidelines, Geelong medical staff immediately attended Cameron and conducted a HIA on ground, where he reported no symptoms and satisfied all AFL requirements. After further review of the video footage, and in consultation with the spotters in the ARC, it was decided there was no criteria to remove Cameron immediately from the field for further assessment.

As further due diligence, and still with no concussive symptoms, Cameron undertook and completed a normal SCAT6 concussion assessment after the game.

As is the process following a match, Cameron was monitored and assessed again on Saturday morning, where he reported some concussive symptoms on repeat SCAT6 and a diagnosis of delayed concussion was made.

Independent doctors could have easily arrived at the very same conclusion.

Research in medical literature shows that for every 15 minutes a player continues to play following a concussion, it adds an extra week to their recovery time. The player in this instance is only hurting himself.

That being said, it should not be up to the player to decide whether or not they are getting assessed following a head injury. The onfield HIA is a joke - doesn't even pass for the minimum standard in medical literature guidelines for testing sports related concussion, which is the SCAT6. And even then the SCAT6 is incredibly flawed.

The AFL doesn't give two shits about concussion though.

Good job on proving you don't actually care about health and safety
Have a massive sook about it.

There's been plenty of more painful looking head-knocks and bumps than what happened to Jeremy, and as soon as he was up he was directing players around etc.

He looked fine.

Have a massive sook about it.

There's been plenty of more painful looking head-knocks and bumps than what happened to Jeremy, and as soon as he was up he was directing players around etc.

He looked fine.

He looked dazed, should have come right off. I can imagine in twenty years time when someone like Jeremy Cameron starts having issues with his brain, you'll only start caring once those problems start emerging. Clown.

Geelong should expect fine coming.

Should have been assessed at the very least. Will be fined.

AFL needs to take a hard stand with material consequence, rather than just picking off D-grade players to make an example of.

Geelong duty of care was non-existent last night. I'd be stripping the Cats of premiership points. Disgusting.

100k fine for criticising the doctor, who can never make mistakes. You can send it directly to my bank account to ensure its paid promptly

So a doctor watching his head bounce off the turf, taking a while to get up, and then looking dazed for the next while was all A-OK?

Anyone with eyes can see that they wanted him off.

If Port can cop that big fine from last year, then the same must apply with last night, otherwise it’s just another example of the pathetic double standards that apply with this once great comp.

Bigfooty dribblers in the mud.

Engage your brains next time. If you can.

Looking forward to seeing the AFL explain why the Cats no doubt won't be fined 100k like Port were. Everyone could see he was concussed after that head knock, disgraceful by the Cats.

I think it’s more to do with the ‘power’ of the club doc in that situation - the Cats doctor tried to get him to leave the ground 3 times - he literally did what he could to get him off the ground for a proper assessment.

The doc should either have the power to notify the umpire immediately ala a blood rule type situation or have the ability within the club to act as a runner basically and say ‘Cameron - you’re off’.

Tough call - would be interesting to see if the clubs supported either scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back