Independent doctors at every match

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting how the general opinion has swiftly moved from it's a contact sport toughen up to respect the head.
We've lost two players in the last few years to early retirement (one to very early retirement at 20 years of age) so you can understand that some of us feel like we've reached a point when the super macho position is not worth risking a player's career (as well as affecting them afterwards).

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09...-still-battling-lingering-concussion-effects/

Ugle Hagan hits the head in a contested situation.
Doctors take him off immediately. Running a formal HIA of what appears to be Maddocks and Symptoms questions. (I cant lip read)

Dogs mishandled Libba a few weeks ago. Good to see that they've learned.

Doctors take him off immediately. Running a formal HIA of what appears to be Maddocks and Symptoms questions. (I cant lip read)

Do you think they used the International Rugby form?

Easier when the game is not in the balance...

Would Cameron have been pulled from the ground last night if he wasn't key to Cat's comeback... as opposed to if the Cats were well in control of the game?

It's another reason why we need an independent doctor with clear protocols to make the decision... & take the decision away from clubs.

Let them use their sub if not activated or allow them to reactivate a sub during HIA & when a player is ruled out.

What I find interesting and is written in black and white in the AFLs HIA policy is that the CSX application is mandatory to be used for all concussions or suspected concussions.

For reference, The app works by assessing players’ typical cognitive performance, recording key aspects such as balance, coordination, memory, reaction times and behavioural patterns. With CSX, you use your smartphone or tablet to perform a series of tasks to make up an assessment to get an individual’s unique brain health score. The CSX tasks cover key areas commonly affected by brain injuries: balance, reaction time, coordination, short-term memory, long-term memory, color recognition, impulse control, pattern recognition and problem-solving.

These ‘baseline results’ are then utilised as a point of comparison for future concussion or head-injury testing that may occur during sport.

Now I for once didn’t see those Geelong doctors chasing Cameron around on the field with a tablet or phone using this app to be able to monitor against his baseline.

Seems they tried to pull him aside and he refused to go.

So if they weren’t able to assess him against his baseline results with the use of the CSX app as per their own HIA guidelines, then they haven’t followed protocol.

Or is the use of this app simply the doctor going to the bench and saying a test was done because he asked Cameron to come for assessment.

How could they assess his baseline results when they weren’t able to even “asses” him in a true sense.

The Drs absolutely tried to do the right thing here. This is on the Cats coaching team for not telling him to get off and taking it out of Cameron’s hands.

You don't need to be a smart ass about it.

You tell me how the AFL guidelines work if you don't ask the questions.

View attachment 1986361
You deliberately posted a cropped shot of the rugby test to misrepresent the AFL HIA to try and make a point that I was wrong, so don't tell me not to be a smart ass in reply to you. You Port supporters are detached from reality purely because your own club got caught out.

So you don’t reckon, if a doctor went to the umpire metres away and said “mate, stop the game, I have to get this guy off”, the umpire wouldn’t stop the game?

I guarantee he would.

The doctor wasn’t that desperate to get Cameron off, which says it all..

No, I don't reckon it'd work like that. We literally watched umpires ignore an injury last week and tell a bloke who couldn't walk to get up and stand the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You deliberately posted a cropped shot of the rugby test to misrepresent the AFL HIA to try and make a point that I was wrong, so don't tell me not to be a smart ass in reply to you. You Port supporters are detached from reality purely because your own club got caught out.
Haven't avoided a single question from you, and we've gotten down to the point that you're arguing whether there's a specific list of questions that should be answered. Playing the expert yet all your doing is trying to pick fault with what you are being presented

And where I've said the whole way that the Port Adelaide incident was more serious, and we got hauled over the coals for it, doesn't matter in your book. Because you are trying to win an argument and argue like a defense counsel rather than debate what is being presented to you.

I said I wouldn't post anymore, but I did because Ugle Hagan was a clear representation of how it should be managed. I'd suggest that they would know exactly what to do. Not what they did with Libba and not what we did with Aliir. And not what Geelong did with Cameron.

So you don’t reckon, if a doctor went to the umpire metres away and said “mate, stop the game, I have to get this guy off”, the umpire wouldn’t stop the game?

I guarantee he would.

The doctor wasn’t that desperate to get Cameron off, which says it all..
Absolutely they would. A doctor mentions concussion, umpires would stop the game.

Haven't avoided a single question from you, and we've gotten down to the point that you're arguing whether there's a specific list of questions that should be answered. Playing the expert yet all your doing is trying to pick fault with what you are being presented

And where I've said the whole way that the Port Adelaide incident was more serious, and we got hauled over the coals for it, doesn't matter in your book. Because you are trying to win an argument and argue like a defense counsel rather than debate what is being presented to you.

I said I wouldn't post anymore, but I did because Ugle Hagan was a clear representation of how it should be managed. I'd suggest that they would know exactly what to do. Not what they did with Libba and not what we did with Aliir. And not what Geelong did with Cameron.
Lol turn it up. You said 'they didn't ask this list of specific questions so it mustn't have been a HIA', all I've said is that those questions are part of the SCAT6 not the HIA. Then you posted the irrelevant rugby test to try and prove me wrong. Now you're lip reading what they're asking Ugle-Hagan on the bench 😂

Sorry you're offended I corrected you.

Problem with this is that there is a benefit in assessing an injury from the doctor knowing the patient.

This would be even more true when you're talking about something that relies on a judgement call as much as cognitive testing.

Player A is a little slow to speak usually.
Player B jokes around a bit.
Player C gets distracted easily.

All could be considered 'warning signs' if they're unusual behavior, but are largely meaningless if that's just the way that person is.

I agree with the need for the doctor to be independent, but let's not cause harm in the attempt to look like we're doing good.
This aligns with the what I reckon was the reason Joel Selwood didn't get taken off more often with concussion. His baseline was so low he couldn't fail. Maybe he also used to cop a lot of knocks to the head as a junior and had CTE before he even started in the AFL.

Lol turn it up. You said 'they didn't ask this list of specific questions so it mustn't have been a HIA', all I've said is that those questions are part of the SCAT6 not the HIA. Then you posted the irrelevant rugby test to try and prove me wrong. Now you're lip reading what they're asking Ugle-Hagan on the bench 😂

Sorry you're offended I corrected you.
It's literally the same form. Exactly the same even the questions. He didn't complete it. Geelong are lying and are breaching their duty of care. Clear double standards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back