Injury Injuries 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The question again needs to be asked. Why did Treloar come back on in a game we are winning by so much. Did the re-injury contribute to it being 6-8 weeks or was that after the first injury. You would never send a Syndesmosis injury back onto the field, so did our medico's mis-diagnose.
To be fair he looked to be moving pretty well on the boundary line and when he came back on. They can be tough to diagnose given players constantly roll their ankles and play out games in slight pain.

The question again needs to be asked. Why did Treloar come back on in a game we are winning by so much. Did the re-injury contribute to it being 6-8 weeks or was that after the first injury. You would never send a Syndesmosis injury back onto the field, so did our medico's mis-diagnose.

The same medical team that kept Scott off for what wasn’t concussion? The medical team are medical professionals. We shouldn’t be throwing stones from our very removed positions.

Our next 8 weeks are:

Melbourne @ Marvel
Freo @ Optus
Bye
Cats @ GMHBA
Eagles @ Optus
North @ Marvel
Swans @ Marvel
Suns @ Metricon

If we are serious, we knock over North, Swans and Freo (Yes, I know our recent record against them in Perth). We pick up a win against one of the Dees, Cats or Eagles and I’m happy. Go into round 20 against the Crows (Ballarat) with Dunks and Treloar back and sitting pretty on 16-3.

It’s all possible. Who knows, maybe we get to that point and Garcia/West is now a valuable part of our best 22.

Fair enough too but there is a tipping point and if we lose too many mids we will struggle just like every other team.
Yes but we have momentum and McLean in the wings. I wouldn't be easing off just to avoid injuries because that is when you'll end up with more

Last edited:
Frustrating yes, but it's fantastic that we've already banked 9 wins.

Although Treloar has been excellent across the year his first half on the weekend and his game last week weren't exactly outstanding and we still had very strong wins which is a positive.

Based on current estimations Treloar will be back no later than R19 and play the last 5 rounds, while Dunkley should be back no later than R20 and play the last 4 rounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if Treloar is back sooner but even it is the full 8 weeks having Dunkley and Treloar back for the last 4-5 rounds is pretty exciting.

I really hope Garcia comes in for Treloar this week, has been outstanding in the VFL and if that doesn't work out in the short term I expect McLean to replace him.

We're starting to hit the tipping point with injuries. I really hope Garcia or West make the most of their chances if they come in. Mitch Wallis anyone??

The positives are:

- The forward line is in tact
- The backline is settled
- Treloar has had 10 games under his belt so hopefully that holds him in good stead
- Libba, Macrae and Bont all having career seasons
- English to return
- Hunter and Dale can get more midfield time

Vandermeer's knee has not come up and he will now go in for surgery to clean up cartilage damage

Injury list

McLean (knee) – available
English (concussion) – test
Lipinski (quad) – test
Scott (head knock) – test
Ugle-Hagan (concussion) – test
Vandermeer (knee) – TBC
Martin (Achilles) – 1-2 weeks
Richards (ankle) – 2-3 weeks
Wood (hamstring) – 3-5 weeks
Treloar (ankle) – 6-8 weeks
Dunkley (shoulder) – 7-9 weeks
Jong (hamstring) – 7-9 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but we have momentum and McLean in the wings. I wouldn't be easing off just to avoid injuries because that is when you'll end up with more

I think you've misinterpreted a few posts. No one is advocating that we throw games or take it easy in any of our games. We obviously want the team to do their very best to win every game and to believe that they can. But our expectations as supporters are in no way connected to how the team should be thinking. I prefer to have realistic/modest expectations about what the team should achieve because it makes viewing football more enjoyable for me and makes the losses easier to stomach. So winning 4 of the next 7 games would be, for me, an acceptable result that I'll be content with. But obviously the team should be aiming to win all 7.

Vandermeer's knee has not come up and he will now go in for surgery to clean up cartilage damage

Injury list

McLean (knee) – available
English (concussion) – test
Lipinski (quad) – test
Scott (head knock) – test
Ugle-Hagan (concussion) – test
Vandermeer (knee) – TBC
Martin (Achilles) – 1-2 weeks
Richards (ankle) – 2-3 weeks
Wood (hamstring) – 3-5 weeks
Treloar (ankle) – 6-8 weeks
Dunkley (shoulder) – 7-9 weeks
Jong (hamstring) – 7-9 weeks

I wonder if there is a slight chance Martin will get up.

Pardon the intrusion guys but do any of you have reservations about the news that McLean is set to return not even nine months after doing his acl?
(To me) it seems crazy that he'd be given the all clear so soon...the sporting world is littered with players re-tearing ligaments after not doing the standard 12 month rehabilitation.

Pardon the intrusion guys but do any of you have reservations about the news that McLean is set to return not even nine months after doing his acl?
(To me) it seems crazy that he'd be given the all clear so soon...the sporting world is littered with players re-tearing ligaments after not doing the standard 12 month rehabilitation.
Not really, there are people far more qualified than any of us that would have signed off on his rehab.

None at all. The trend has been players have been getting back within 9 months recently. Some may take longer but there have been plenty of examples of this timeframe.

Not sure where a 12 month rehabilitation comes from.

ACL are usually season ending because football season is around 9 months including a pre-season.

ACL comebacks are usually 9 to 10 months UNLESS you are a Libba!

Some people just recover quicker than others. Bob Murphy doing his in 2016 was on record in December of the same year saying that he'd already ramped up to full training at the time (8 months later). The issue is that it often gets referred to as a 12 month injury because for someone like Murphy he would have played R1 the following season if it was 7 months or 11 months either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back