Injury Report - Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair some of the worst ones have zero to do with our fitness and conditioning staff. Broken bones (Lynch and Brown) and syndesmosis injuries (Nank) are just unlucky and they have cruelled us as much as any soft tissue ones. Tarrants injury is a chronic one he brought with him from Norf. Plantar fasciitis (Soldo) too is just unlucky and picks certain prone players. These are the facts and as much as I'd like to lay blame on someone, sometimes it is just pure bad luck.
No indication from the club that Lynch has reinjured the same foot he was managing during preseason? Hardly a word out of them on the exact nature of it. Also played out the game in which he injured it.

Soldo came back after no vfl prep. something the medicos can over rule the match committee on in regards to managing minutes and load bearing.

Gibcus and the hamstring. went from going to play minutes in the vfl to reinjured and out for the medium term again.

I'm not going to list them individually, but our soft tissue injuries and the way they have been poorly managed is easily worst in the league and completely amateur. It's actually indefensible and even trying to defend it requires a childish response.

Not going to cop that. If you’re actually going to make statements like ‘easily the worst in the league’ and ‘indefensible’ then at least have the evidence to back it up. So yes, list them individually.

If you did what you may have seen is that currently Richmond have three soft tissue injuries: Hopper, Gibcus and MRJ. You could count Campbell, but it sounds as if it’s more building strength into his abductors as opposed to it being an injury.

Other teams by my count based on the currently available injury lists:

Brisbane - 2
Carlton - 4
Essendon - 2
Fremantle - 3
Geelong - 3
GWS - 2
North Melbourne - 3
Port - 2
St Kilda - 3
Sydney - 2
West Coast - 8
Western Bulldogs - 4

So it would seem that Richmond are pretty much on average for soft tissue injuries, and West Coast twice as worse as any other team currently. Hardly the ‘worst in the league’.

But what about those that did them and have returned? By my count they are:

• Marlion Pickett - Abductor - returned in 4 weeks
  • Jayden Short - calf - 2x 1 week return
  • Jack Graham - hamstring - return 3 weeks

So far, none of those that have had previous soft tissue injuries had setbacks during their recovery, nor have the re-injured the same injury.

So please explain to me how our soft issues have been poorly managed. Outside of Gibcus (whose first set back was an infection on his surgery wound), no one has had either a setback nor a recurrence of the injury.

Those that have returned have done so on the standard 3-4 week timeframe of a standard soft tissue injury.

Also explain to me to how we are the worst in the league. Currently that is clearly West Coast, with two others on four and four others on three. Even including those that have recovered, West Coast are leaders of the pack.

So convince me. Put something down of substance and not some pathetic attempt at an insult. How has our soft tissue injuries been managed in a way that is ‘easily the worst in the league’ and ‘indefensible’ and ‘completely amateur’.

My mind is open to a change of opinion.

Last edited:

Not going to cop that. If you’re actually going to make statements like ‘easily the worst in the league’ and ‘indefensible’ then at least have the evidence to back it up. So yes, list them individually.

If you did what you may have seen is that currently Richmond have three soft tissue injuries: Hopper, Gibcus and MRJ. You could count Campbell, but it sounds as if it’s more building strength into his abductors as opposed to it being an injury.

Other teams by my count based on the currently available injury lists:

Brisbane - 2
Carlton - 4
Essendon - 2
Fremantle - 3
Geelong - 3
GWS - 2
North Melbourne - 3
Port - 2
St Kilda - 3
Sydney - 2
West Coast - 8
Western Bulldogs - 4

So it would seem that Richmond are pretty much on average for soft tissue injuries, and West Coast twice as worse as any other team currently. Hardly the ‘worst in the league’.

But what about those that did them and have returned? By my count they are:

• Marlion Pickett - Abductor - returned in 4 weeks
  • Jayden Short - calf - 2x 1 week return
  • Jack Graham - hamstring - return 3 weeks

So far, none of those that have had previous soft tissue injuries had setbacks during their recovery, nor have the re-injured the same injury.

So please explain to me how our soft issues have been poorly managed. Outside of Gibcus (whose first set back was an infection on his surgery wound), no one has had either a setback nor a recurrence of the injury.

Those that have returned have done so on the standard 3-4 week timeframe of a standard soft tissue injury.

Also explain to me ans to how we are the worst in the league. Currently that is clearly West Coast, with two others on four and four others on three.

So convince me. Put something down of substance and not some pathetic attempt at an insult. How has our soft tissue injuries been managed in a way that is ‘easily the worst in the league’ and ‘indefensible’ and ‘completely amateur.
Fair enough RL with all of that and thanks for the info in comparison to other clubs as you were replying to what a poster had said. I’m more interested in whether our team is suffering with more soft tissue injuries this year than previous years and have other injuries that weren’t as prevalent in the past come to haunt us ? Also my other concern is it appears we are having more long term injuries/ indefinite cases than over the past. It’s only anecdotal evidence and not researched so I maybe plain and simply wrong.

Fair enough RL with all of that and thanks for the info in comparison to other clubs as you were replying to what a poster had said. I’m more interested in whether our team is suffering with more soft tissue injuries this year than previous years and have other injuries that weren’t as prevalent in the past come to haunt us ? Also my other concern is it appears we are having more long term injuries/ indefinite cases than over the past. It’s only anecdotal evidence and not researched so I maybe plain and simply wrong.

I had a quick look at the injury list this time last year (and then six weeks later), and it would seem as if we did have fewer soft tissue injuries in 2022 as opposed to 2023.

However, this was the trend for almost every other team (other than Carlton who had five).

It would suggest to me the way the game is being played where the ball in motion more (back half scores are way up), the amount of running teams have to do is probably greater overall. Certainly using the corresponding game last year, most of the running stats are greater this season (distance covered, repeat sprints etc) and the average speed in both attack and defense is a lot quicker.

Then you add fewer rotations (same as last year but no reprieve considering the game and running requirements are greater), the strain that is going through bodies would likely be greater; possibly leading to more soft tissue injuries across the league.

In terms of the longer term injuries, again you’d be correct. Why this might be is because of age (Tarrant), or inexperience to the AFL game (Smith, Campbell first year, Colina still converting from basketball). Those injuries I believe are stress related injuries which is often seen in younger players who aren’t physically matured yet. Tarrant’s injury is said to be similar to Lambert’s which we all know how that ended.

That said, I’m drawing that bow myself and not based on much else, so make of it what you will.

I had a quick look at the injury list this time last year (and then six weeks later), and it would seem as if we did have fewer soft tissue injuries in 2022 as opposed to 2023.

However, this was the trend for almost every other team (other than Carlton who had five).

It would suggest to me the way the game is being played where the ball in motion more (back half scores are way up), the amount of running teams have to do is probably greater overall. Certainly using the corresponding game last year, most of the running stats are greater this season (distance covered, repeat sprints etc) and the average speed in both attack and defense is a lot quicker.

Then you add fewer rotations (same as last year but no reprieve considering the game and running requirements are greater), the strain that is going through bodies would likely be greater; possibly leading to more soft tissue injuries across the league.

In terms of the longer term injuries, again you’d be correct. Why this might be is because of age (Tarrant), or inexperience to the AFL game (Smith, Campbell first year, Colina still converting from basketball). Those injuries I believe are stress related injuries which is often seen in younger players who aren’t physically matured yet. Tarrant’s injury is said to be similar to Lambert’s which we all know how that ended.

That said, I’m drawing that bow myself and not based on much else, so make of it what you will.
Thanks for that and really appreciate the feedback . I was under the suspicion age was the big issue with us as well as some of our boys are now in their seventh season of a chaotic game plan which demanded a lot of physical stress and strains on the body. The younger boys that have not had that level of training with workloads may also struggle with it too.

I'm not going to list them individually, but our soft tissue injuries and the way they have been poorly managed is easily worst in the league and completely amateur. It's actually indefensible and even trying to defend it requires a childish response.
Fitness management measured by chronically injured players now being routinely available for selection? Martin, cotchin, Prestia Grimes.

Or is that luck but any injury is poor management?
If Meehan deserves to be sacked fair enough. Give me the evidence

I suppose you have to measure our list of best 22 injured at was club.
I think over the last few years we have used 37 players off the list each year.

The only way we see depth players is injury opportunity.

Christ, this childish rubbish again.

Injuries happen. It is a fact of the AFL that currently around half the league has more than 7+ injuries (by my count 12); and eight teams have 8+ injuries.

Some are suggesting that our injury list is so bad that there must be something akin to malfeasance at the club and that we are the only team that has so many injuries.

Others seem to imply that every injury is the fault of one person and disregarding the fact that the game itself is brutal on the body.

Both of these are simply not true. By your reckoning the performance management at Geelong, St Kilda, West Coast, North Melbourne, GWS and Sydney should all be shown the door.

Is that what you are suggesting?
Difference is we have had that list or longer all season. Besides WC who had 16 out a few weeks ago, vs our 12 at one stage, most of the clubs have had an accruing list as the season has gone on, which as you say is not uncommon.

Plus many of those players have been on the short to medium term since the start of the year, and are still on it.

Thanks for that and really appreciate the feedback . I was under the suspicion age was the big issue with us as well as some of our boys are now in their seventh season of a chaotic game plan which demanded a lot of physical stress and strains on the body. The younger boys that have not had that level of training with workloads may also struggle with it too.
Interesting one. I've just started to have a look at team running stats too..
West coast dominated some areas of those.
Yet can't win and getting injuries.
In 2021 we used 40 players. 2022 back to 37 players.
So in the previous fitness guy's reign 40 players used means games for depth players which in successful teams can be hard.
2019 we used 39 players.

Some clubs like Bulldogs Always use 40+ a year..

Difference is we have had that list or longer all season. Besides WC who had 16 out a few weeks ago, vs our 12 at one stage, most of the clubs have had an accruing list as the season has gone on, which as you say is not uncommon.

Plus many of those players have been on the short to medium term since the start of the year, and are still on it.

This was our injury list for round one:

Tom Brown - wrist (short-term)

Robbie Tarrant - hip (short-term)

Jacob Bauer - ankle (short-term)

Seth Campbell - groin load (short-term)

Ivan Soldo - foot (short-term)

Josh Gibcus - hamstring (medium-term)

Mate Colina - back (long-term)

Kaleb Smith - foot (long-term)

Of those, four have stayed on the whole time. Gibcus is the obvious one, and Colina and Smith are stress/ load related injuries which are most common in younger players (Colina a convert so I think it’s ok to put him in the same category). They were all identified as long term and each has injury that has seen some take 12 months to recover from across multiple sports.

Brown the interesting one. Obviously had a surgery which pushed him out to the medium-term. What I don’t know is whether he could have still played and had the surgery at the end of the season or whether the surgery was required before he could take the field again. Either way should see him back in the next few weeks.

Tarrant will be in and around the injury list all season with his hip unfortunately such is the nature of the injury. He’s also still linked as ‘indefinite’ despite Dimma stating he is set to play a half in the next few weeks.

Of the remaining ones, Bauer has recovered. So did Campbell but the club decided to strengthen his groin/abductor anyway to ensure no repeat injuries by the sounds. Soldo, was poorly managed on the way back which is and was at the time the wrong move.

So really, we’ve had six players on the list for the duration of the season. Three I’d say are long term injuries, one unavoidably recurring (Tarrant) one almost recovered (Brown) and one has been sidelined for strength and conditioning (Campbell). Could add Soldo to that as well:

So new additions are around 3-4 players.

Injury Report: First pre-season hit-out​

Get the latest injury update ahead of Richmond's pre-season hit-out against North Melbourne on Friday.
By Richmond Media - 2 hrs ago

AFLTrainingFeb22-4015-Jacob-Bauer-Liam-Baker.png

Get the latest injury update from Physical Performance Manager Luke Meehan ahead of Richmond's pre-season hit-out against North Melbourne on Friday.

Tom Lynch, plantar fasciitis

"Tom is building his skills time with the group and is a chance to play some game time against Melbourne."

Liam Baker, appendicitis
"Liam had his appendix removed last week. He is unavailable this week and unlikely for the Melbourne game, however we will know more early next week."

Jack Graham, toe
"Similar to Lynch, Jack is building his skill work with a view to be available at the start of the season."

Jacob Bauer, ankle
"Jacob has a very minor syndesmosis. He is out of the moon boot and will resume running later this week."

Tyler Sonsie, hip
"Tyler has a small hip flexor injury. He will be unavailable this week and likely available for the Melbourne game."

Jason Castagna, hamstring
"Jason has begun his rehab run progressions but will be unavailable for both practice games."

Screen-Shot-2023-02-14-at-3.45.48-pm

Josh Gibcus, hamstring
"Josh is four weeks into his rehab program and running well."

Nathan Broad, hamstring
"Nathan's rehab is progressing well. We expect him to play some game time against Melbourne."

Mate Colina
"Mate's putting back-to-back running sessions together."

Kaleb Smith, foot
"Kaleb will be in a moon boot for another week. We will assess where he is at once the boot is removed."

AFLTrainingFeb22-4028-Kaleb-Smith.jpg

Pre season injury list. 6 players recovered.
Gibcus and Tarrant not recovered.
Gibcus the only best 22 on the list.
Young has been a find. And Sampson Ryan getting a string of games which doesn't happen without injury to Nank and Soldo.
He and Miller going well enough to help win games of football and Ryan putting himself ahead of Soldo. No injuries? We don't see Cumberland last year..
Etc etc
Resting players is near impossible for coaches.

Yeah Brown and smith looked likely types. Sad not to see them fit. Ditto Dow. Just can't stay uninjured.
F knows. is that on him, the coaches the club

Last edited:
Pre season injury list. 6 players recovered.
Gibcus and Tarrant not recovered.
Gibcus the only best 22 on the list.
Young has been a find. And Sampson Ryan getting a string of games which doesn't happen without injury to Nank and Soldo.
He and Miller going well enough to help win games of football and Ryan putting himself ahead of Soldo. No injuries? We don't see Cumberland last year..
Etc etc
Resting players is near impossible for coaches.

Yeah Brown and smith looked likely types. Sad not to see them fit. Ditto Dow. Just can't stay uninjured.
F knows. is that on him, the coaches the club
Not about best 22 or who is getting games because of injury, more of a general statement that so many of our injured players were injured preseason and are still not playing.

Only going to bother mentioning our young players, because 30+year old players naturally get injured more or take longer to shake injuries, other than Soldo, I think the match committee can take a fair chunk of blame for that one.

Tom Brown, Kaleb Smith, Seth Campbell, Josh Gibcus and only recently Steely Green have yet to set foot on the park, most of them are in or barely out of the rehab group. That's almost our entire draft crop for the past two seasons. It is odd, whether by luck or bad management I'm not here to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was our injury list for round one:

Tom Brown - wrist (short-term)

Robbie Tarrant - hip (short-term)

Jacob Bauer - ankle (short-term)

Seth Campbell - groin load (short-term)

Ivan Soldo - foot (short-term)

Josh Gibcus - hamstring (medium-term)

Mate Colina - back (long-term)

Kaleb Smith - foot (long-term)

Of those, four have stayed on the whole time. Gibcus is the obvious one, and Colina and Smith are stress/ load related injuries which are most common in younger players (Colina a convert so I think it’s ok to put him in the same category). They were all identified as long term and each has injury that has seen some take 12 months to recover from across multiple sports.

Brown the interesting one. Obviously had a surgery which pushed him out to the medium-term. What I don’t know is whether he could have still played and had the surgery at the end of the season or whether the surgery was required before he could take the field again. Either way should see him back in the next few weeks.

Tarrant will be in and around the injury list all season with his hip unfortunately such is the nature of the injury. He’s also still linked as ‘indefinite’ despite Dimma stating he is set to play a half in the next few weeks.

Of the remaining ones, Bauer has recovered. So did Campbell but the club decided to strengthen his groin/abductor anyway to ensure no repeat injuries by the sounds. Soldo, was poorly managed on the way back which is and was at the time the wrong move.

So really, we’ve had six players on the list for the duration of the season. Three I’d say are long term injuries, one unavoidably recurring (Tarrant) one almost recovered (Brown) and one has been sidelined for strength and conditioning (Campbell). Could add Soldo to that as well:

So new additions are around 3-4 players.
See my post above, but some of those short or even medium term injuries are still short to medium, nearly months later.

Wrong about Greene, I've barely noticed him so I thought he must have missed more games, missed a fair chunk of preseason from memory.

It's a strange injury list that is taking an awfully long time to get shorter.

Not about best 22 or who is getting games because of injury, more of a general statement that so many of our injured players were injured preseason and are still not playing.

Only going to bother mentioning our young players, because 30+year old players naturally get injured more or take longer to shake injuries, other than Soldo, I think the match committee can take a fair chunk of blame for that one.

Tom Brown, Kaleb Smith, Seth Campbell, Josh Gibcus and only recently Steely Green have yet to set foot on the park, most of them are in or barely out of the rehab group. That's almost our entire draft crop for the past two seasons. It is odd, whether by luck or bad management I'm not here to say.
Out of the gibcus class.. he, Sonsie and Clarke have played and look promising. Banks is playing VFL. Looking a prospect. Could have been selected with some luck.
The next crop; Young playing and Bauer not far off Bradkte a project. Smith and Campbell?? Who knows. Green a bit below standard.

The slow return to footy by Brown is the main stuff up. How can a wrist injury take so long to recover from?

Out of the gibcus class.. he, Sonsie and Clarke have played and look promising. Banks is playing VFL. Looking a prospect. Could have been selected with some luck.
The next crop; Young playing and Bauer not far off Bradkte a project. Smith and Campbell?? Who knows. Green a bit below standard.

The slow return to footy by Brown is the main stuff up. How can a wrist injury take so long to recover from?
Bit of an exaggeration regarding our entire draft list, but Brown, Gibcus, Campbell and Smith are all still a good way off.

Brown was out for 4-5 weeks then we hear the news he's had surgery and will miss another 6, so all up a 10-12 week injury for something that was initially expected to be 4-6. Why did that happen? Why wasnt surgery done early? I think i heard the doc wasnt happy with how it was healing. I'd really like to know more about the Brown, Soldo, Gibcus and Campbell injury setbacks. Were they all mismanaged(which is how its starting to look from the outside), bad luck, or a bit of both?

No indication from the club that Lynch has reinjured the same foot he was managing during preseason? Hardly a word out of them on the exact nature of it. Also played out the game in which he injured it.

Soldo came back after no vfl prep. something the medicos can over rule the match committee on in regards to managing minutes and load bearing.

Gibcus and the hamstring. went from going to play minutes in the vfl to reinjured and out for the medium term again.
Lynch has a fractured third metatarsal. It was plated and the operation went well. That was an injury that was caused in game. It had nothing to do with any other preseason issues. Fact.

richmond.jpg

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Tom Brown Wrist 1-3 weeks
Seth Campbell Adductor 4-6 weeks
Mate Colina Back Indefinite
Josh Gibcus Hamstring 4-6 weeks
Jacob Hopper Calf 4-6 weeks
Tom Lynch Foot 6-11 weeks
Toby Nankervis Ankle Test
Maurice Rioli jnr Hamstring 1-3 weeks
Kaleb Smith Ankle 7-12 weeks
Ivan Soldo Foot 4-6 weeks
Robbie Tarrant Hip Indefinite
Tyler Young Leg Test
Updated: May 16, 2023

Early prognosis​

After a gradual shortening of the injury list, it's jumped out again at Punt Road. Hopper has suffered a strain to the soleus portion of his calf, which is in the lower portion of the leg. Soldo was a test last week, but has been bumped back out to a medium-term return as he battles a plantar fasciitis issue. Gibcus was poised to make a VFL return over the weekend, but suffered a setback to a different spot in his hamstring on Friday. – Sarah Black

essendon.jpg

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Nik Cox Back 2 weeks
Jayden Davey* Knee Season
Matt Guelfi Hamstring 1 week
Harrison Jones Back TBC
Jake Kelly Concussion 1-2 weeks
Jayden Laverde Shoulder 4-5 weeks
Darcy Parish Calf 4 weeks
Zach Reid Hamstring 5 weeks
Jordan Ridley Concussion Test
James Stewart Foot 7-8 weeks
Elijah Tsatas Knee 3 weeks
Peter Wright Shoulder 8 weeks
Updated: May 16, 2023

Early prognosis​

The injuries are piling up again at Essendon. The Bombers will be hoping to regain Ridley after he missed the trip to Brisbane, but Kelly will be sidelined for at least another week. Parish will miss weeks with his calf injury, while Guelfi, Cox and Tsatas are all inching closer to fitness. – Dejan Kalinic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back