2023 mid season draft - Name your player you want

which player you want richmond to select in the mid season draft

• Luke Teal - 19 year old 190cm 85kgs smart HBF Tigga replacement

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Mutaz El Nour - 22 year old 192cm 85gks 3rd tall defender Nathan Broad replacement

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Tyreece Leiu - 20 year old 195cm 93kgs KP Defender Tarrant Replacement

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Ethan Phillips - 24 year old KP Defender Another Tarrant Replacement

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Archie May - 21 year old KPF /Ruck 198cm 94kgs Never can have enough Rucks that can play foward

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Archie Lovelock - 18 year old Mid /Small Foward 179cm 75kgs missed out last year playing glenelg

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Liam McBean - 28 year old 202cm 100kgs Small Foward shows enormous potential as a castagna replace

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other - Name in a post

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Golden rule of recruiting is you NEVER prioritize a small player ahead of other acute needs suck as KPP or midfield , when our cup is full in these areas sure , go for your life , I feel nauseous , our pic 4 is 12m from being ready at earliest these guys are likely to debut next week and rising star noms almost a certainty

I tried to convince myself that these blokes in Buller and hunter wouldn’t be any better than our talls at VFL ,,,,on debut 5G and 4G and a s**t ton of marks ,,,,Fmd

Bradtke also kicked 5 in his second or third game at VFL.

Bauer also had roughly the same average goals per game last season that Van Rooyen had for memory.

Both Buller and Hunter may be better than Bradtke and Bauer, but let’s not be too quick to judge on the back of an individual game.

Bradtke also kicked 5 in his second or third game at VFL.

Bauer also had roughly the same average goals per game last season that Van Rooyen had for memory.

Both Buller and Hunter may be better than Bradtke and Bauer, but let’s not be too quick to judge on the back of an individual game.
bauer I was hopeful with a vain of form in defence , since going forward , can’t get near it, bradke doesn’t appear to do anything to get excited about ,I wish I didn’t watch today , it cruelled my hopes with him

bauer I was hopeful with a vain of form in defence , since going forward , can’t get near it, bradke doesn’t appear to do anything to get excited about ,I wish I didn’t watch today , it cruelled my hopes with him

To be fair I think Bauer has played three quarters forward over the last few matches. Thought he look good against GWS; but he looked bad today. He also looked bad back.

Bradtke has all the traits. Big body, can clunk a mark (also can drop puds to be fair), really good below his knees, but it’s just putting it all together. And doing it consistently.

He’s the type of player that I personally think you don’t expect anything for a season and a half. Statistically he’s more unlikely than likely to make it, but so are Hunter and Buller.

To be fair I think Bauer has played three quarters forward over the last few matches. Thought he look good against GWS; but he looked bad today. He also looked bad back.

Bradtke has all the traits. Big body, can clunk a mark (also can drop puds to be fair), really good below his knees, but it’s just putting it all together. And doing it consistently.

He’s the type of player that I personally think you don’t expect anything for a season and a half. Statistically he’s more unlikely than likely to make it, but so are Hunter and Buller.
I really thought biggy was capable of more from his chances , he’s a good kick , except in front of goal , he’s gotta address that sooner than later otherwise his career with us is cactus

Cut It Out Reaction GIF

Our recruiting man. Enough of Clarke.

As i said earlier, lucky Big Footy went on the blink that night because I would have copped a time out.

Been watching Hunter in the WAFL this season and I just dont understand why we wouldnt have taken a gamble.

I hope our boys work out I really do but its a MSD and they are all speculative picks, it just made no sense to me why we wouldnt at least pick 1 KPP to try.

Sometimes I feel like our recruiting staff try to be too smart for their own good, want that feel good story about how we plucked a kid out of no where and he become an AFL star. I'd rather we just stick to our glaring obvious need, all too late now though, whats done is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Narkle would be handy depth at best. Hasn't dominated VFL this year. I'd prefer we take a shot on someone with scope to become a genuine best 22 player, especially now that we're not going to challenge for a flag. You can get Narkle types for nothing every single off season. Dunstan, Setterfield, Blakely, Constable etc etc. Even Narkle himself we could've got as a DFA, then as a SSP selection.
2. Was poor even in a dominant Melbourne side. We already have Bauer, Biggie, Young, Gibcus, Miller. Not a need.
3. Callum Brown is a nothing player. Would rather get games Brown, Clarke, Ralphsmith, Banks etc.

you said you wanted them for experience, we already have plenty of that. We need young talent.
Good point

On SM-A235F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As i said earlier, lucky Big Footy went on the blink that night because I would have copped a time out.

Been watching Hunter in the WAFL this season and I just dont understand why we wouldnt have taken a gamble.

I hope our boys work out I really do but its a MSD and they are all speculative picks, it just made no sense to me why we wouldnt at least pick 1 KPP to try.

Sometimes I feel like our recruiting staff try to be too smart for their own good, want that feel good story about how we plucked a kid out of no where and he become an AFL star. I'd rather we just stick to our glaring obvious need, all too late now though, whats done is done.

Correct. Have said this a few times it's becoming a trend for them.

Coulthard was plucked on the back of one good game at a lower level. One. The other games he played this year he was non existent. Go look at the stats. Buller and Hunter had sustained runs of form and games.

If Coulthard comes off it will be an amazing story. His rise to an AFL footballer would be one of the most improbable stories (frankly ever) given the lack of top notch games at lower levels.

The club keeps trying to hit wild home run swings instead of just getting what's in front of them. The recruiting team is either super egotistical or incompetent. Or both. Either way, please clean house.

Last edited:
Correct. Have said this a few times it's becoming a trend for them.

Coulthard was plucked on the back of one good game at a lower level. One. The other games he played this year he was non existent. Go look at the stats. Buller and Hunter had sustained runs of form and games.

If Coulthard comes off it will be an amazing story. His rise to an AFL footballer would be one of the most improbable stories (frankly ever) given the lack of top notch games at lower levels.

The club keeps trying to hit wild home run swings instead of just getting what's in front of them. The recruiting team is either super egotistical or incompetent. Or both. Either way, please clean house.
I mean this is batshit crazy. There’s absolutely no proof at all that the recruiting team has made a selection based on one game. You can almost guarantee that isn’t the case

They built a list that won three flags and made finals as recently as last year, they’re so far from incompetent that it’s ridiculous

I mean this is batshit crazy. There’s absolutely no proof at all that the recruiting team has made a selection based on one game. You can almost guarantee that isn’t the case

They built a list that won three flags and made finals as recently as last year, they’re so far from incompetent that it’s ridiculous

Spot on.

They even said they had been monitoring Coulthard for over a year. And he looks a good player based on what he has shown in the VFL so far into the bargain.

People are way on the wrong track on this thread. Our recruiters should never lurch from draft to draft seeing who looks to be getting a lot of goals or possessions at the time and taking them. They need to make plans well ahead of time based on sound philosophies. We don't want them ripping up their philosophy every time a recruit doesn't work out. Just learn what they can and on to the next one. Our guys are very experienced now, and have been super successful. They know what they are doing.

We have been told our recruiters like good runners who are penetrating kicks. Jayden Short is that. Nobody else wanted him. He just slotted 3 x goals from outside 50m in a game we won by 15 points. Another day he might get outmuscled by someone stronger and we might lose as a result. But you have to back one philosophy and accept the costs and benefits equally. So far our recruiters have delivered us a lot of benefit.

I think they are somewhat incompetent in their decision-making process, maybe incompetent is too strong a word, your right they do have runs on the board, but I also feel they are a bit arrogant because something worked for them in the past so they try and copy it again.

You hoped a professional outfit would reset, start from scratch, take in all our pros and cons list wise. Maybe they did that? but to me this MSD smelled more like we have Bradtke & Bauer already so let's not get another key forward.

I think they are somewhat incompetent in their decision-making process, maybe incompetent is too strong a word, your right they do have runs on the board, but I also feel they are a bit arrogant because something worked for them in the past so they try and copy it again.

You hoped a professional outfit would reset, start from scratch, take in all our pros and cons list wise. Maybe they did that? but to me this MSD smelled more like we have Bradtke & Bauer already so let's not get another key forward.

Seriously, your chances of getting a difference making key forward in the mid-season draft are infinitesimal. The club correctly used the MSD for role players with a realistic chance of making an impact in their respective roles. It is near pointless to react to Tom Lynch being injured by wasting an MSD pick on a hail mary key forward, especially when we already had a crack at that with Bauer and Bradtke. They will be trying to line someone up to replace Jack this off-season and also talking to possible options to replace Lynch in future years.

If the KPF's taken in the msd work out better than Bauer or Bradtke, it is just bad luck. If they work out better than whoever we are trying to line up in the off-season, then that might be more like bad management. But I am here to bet against that being the case.

Seriously, your chances of getting a difference making key forward in the mid-season draft are infinitesimal. The club correctly used the MSD for role players with a realistic chance of making an impact in their respective roles. It is near pointless to react to Tom Lynch being injured by wasting an MSD pick on a hail mary key forward, especially when we already had a crack at that with Bauer and Bradtke. They will be trying to line someone up to replace Jack this off-season and also talking to possible options to replace Lynch in future years.

If the KPF's taken in the msd work out better than Bauer or Bradtke, it is just bad luck. If they work out better than whoever we are trying to line up in the off-season, then that might be more like bad management. But I am here to bet against that being the case.

They are all speculative picks, makes no difference if they are KPP, mids or smalls. Any player you pick up in the MSD is in the same boat. Made no sense to at least try and pick 1 KPP when our stocks are very limited and will only get worse.

We dropped the ball not recruiting JVR
Who is way in front of Bradke, Bauer

They are all speculative picks, makes no difference if they are KPP, mids or smalls. Any player you pick up in the MSD is in the same boat. Made no sense to at least try and pick 1 KPP when our stocks are very limited and will only get worse.

The difference is, where we can show you quite a few role player types that are doing well who were recruited in the MSD, Marlion, Noble, Snelling, Durham and more, and even an inside mid in Newcombe, there are no genuine KPF successes to come through the MSD at this point. The closest thing is Collingwood's Ash Johnson who is the equal 14th tallest player on the Pies list and probably not a genuine KPF. He is also not yet a genuine success. He also went pick 3, meaning he wasn't available to 15 clubs.

No doubt it will happen one day where a readily available KPF from the MSD will become elite, but in the meantime, the smaller and mid sized players will be doing much better on average.

The difference is, where we can show you quite a few role player types that are doing well who were recruited in the MSD, Marlion, Noble, Snelling, Durham and more, and even an inside mid in Newcombe, there are no genuine KPF successes to come through the MSD at this point. The closest thing is Collingwood's Ash Johnson who is the equal 14th tallest player on the Pies list and probably not a genuine KPF. He is also not yet a genuine success. He also went pick 3, meaning he wasn't available to 15 clubs.

No doubt it will happen one day where a readily available KPF from the MSD will become elite, but in the meantime, the smaller and mid sized players will be doing much better on average.

Agree to disagree, of course there isnt going to be as many success stories of KKP players in the MSD when the majority are smaller players picked, doesnt mean you shoudnt try just because history says so. The MSD hasnt been around long enough to go down that route. This year is the 1st year where semi decent KPF were available, in the past couple of seasons its been ruck/forwards or backs.

We once again have over looked KPP when we are crying out to at least try. It's not great recruiting.

Didnt North take the next best thing last year? A big KPF? Havent heard a word about him since.

Didnt North take the next best thing last year? A big KPF? Havent heard a word about him since.

Kallan Dawson who the Roos took at pick 2, 2022 is an intercept defender.

Wade Derksen(GWS) and Sebit Kuek(Freo) were the 2 key forwards taken last year. And if you haven't heard of them, join a queue longer than the 5 Blues supporting arabs encountered when they lined up at gate 3 to get their bobble-head Carton players as part of their membership package. They complained the queues were so long due to the utter disgrace of Essendon supporters also lining up to get Carlton bobble heads. :tearsofjoy:

Back