2023 mid season draft - Name your player you want

which player you want richmond to select in the mid season draft

• Luke Teal - 19 year old 190cm 85kgs smart HBF Tigga replacement

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Mutaz El Nour - 22 year old 192cm 85gks 3rd tall defender Nathan Broad replacement

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Tyreece Leiu - 20 year old 195cm 93kgs KP Defender Tarrant Replacement

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Ethan Phillips - 24 year old KP Defender Another Tarrant Replacement

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Archie May - 21 year old KPF /Ruck 198cm 94kgs Never can have enough Rucks that can play foward

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Archie Lovelock - 18 year old Mid /Small Foward 179cm 75kgs missed out last year playing glenelg

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Liam McBean - 28 year old 202cm 100kgs Small Foward shows enormous potential as a castagna replace

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other - Name in a post

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not sure that the Swans are really no better than anyone else in assessing mature age recruits. As good as Rampe is, I think every team can point to a mature age player that has made an impact (Pickett, Broad for Richmond as an example).

In terms of the MSD, you’re statistically more likely to miss than hit. Especially the KPP players. Take the example of Jacob Edwards. Was taken #1 overall in the 2020 MSD by North Melbourne and looks nowhere near it in their VFL team. In fact, of the three previous MSD’s only three KPP players have really got consistent AFL games; Ryan Gardner (KPD), Ash Johnson (more of a third tall than a KPF) and James Blanck (KPD).

It’s just not historically a vehicle for successful players, let alone KPP then again KPFs.
Given that we have managed to pick up only two really good kpf’s in the last 30 odd years of main drafts and one of those was Matthew Richardson who was a father son gift that we couldn’t refuse, it’s not like we are statistically or historically so successful in the main draft that we can justify not using every other means available
Picking a kpf requires a lot of luck so the more chances you have the more likely you are to succeed. And like I said before the msd is a free shot with not reason not to try. If we only pick up two every 30 years we will be as successful in the msd as we have been in the main draft

Given that we have managed to pick up only two really good kpf’s in the last 30 odd years of main drafts and one of those was Matthew Richardson who was a father son gift that we couldn’t refuse, it’s not like we are statistically or historically so successful in the main draft that we can justify not using every other means available
Picking a kpf requires a lot of luck so the more chances you have the more likely you are to succeed. And like I said before the msd is a free shot with not reason not to try. If we only pick up two every 30 years we will be as successful in the msd as we have been in the main draft

There simply are not going to be high quality key forwards in the mid-season draft. If you fluked a Brody Mihocek type in a mid-season draft you would be doing cartwheels even if it took you 6 picks to get one at that level. But the thing is you can trade a player of that level in just about any time you want. By the time you have 6 cracks at it to maybe get one average key forward, you could have used the 6 picks to get 3 x Noble, Marlion, Snelling etc.

The 6 best key forwards with their whole careers this century are perhaps Franklin, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Kennedy, Hawkins, Pavlich. They are all first round picks in the National Draft or in Hawkin's case a father son pick who would have been a first rounder. You can go right through them all, there may be some I have missed, but sometimes you get a decent one go in the 3rd or 4th round of the National Draft, like say Taylor Walker. I am struggling to think of one this century who was better than Mihocek taken outside either the National Draft or as a pre-draft type pick. And if there is ever one available in the mid-season draft, he will not be getting through to pick 4, he would be snapped at pick 1 before the team was even put on the clock. Sydney may have taken Buller hoping to turn him into either a ruck or a key defender for all we know.

One thing is for certain, our recruiters would have carefully considered each of the key forward prospects available, and ruled them out.

This is the old quantity hoping for quality argument. I argued against it before in the Matt Coulthard thread (I’ve linked it below for ease). It’s not without merit as I say but I don’t think it’s warranted.

Post in thread 'Welcome - Matt Coulthard - Pick 4 MSD 2023'
Player Watch - Welcome - Matt Coulthard - Pick 4 MSD 2023

There simply are not going to be high quality key forwards in the mid-season draft. If you fluked a Brody Mihocek type in a mid-season draft you would be doing cartwheels even if it took you 6 picks to get one at that level. But the thing is you can trade a player of that level in just about any time you want. By the time you have 6 cracks at it to maybe get one average key forward, you could have used the 6 picks to get 3 x Noble, Marlion, Snelling etc.

The 6 best key forwards with their whole careers this century are perhaps Franklin, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Kennedy, Hawkins, Pavlich. They are all first round picks in the National Draft or in Hawkin's case a father son pick who would have been a first rounder. You can go right through them all, there may be some I have missed, but sometimes you get a decent one go in the 3rd or 4th round of the National Draft, like say Taylor Walker. I am struggling to think of one this century who was better than Mihocek taken outside either the National Draft or as a pre-draft type pick. And if there is ever one available in the mid-season draft, he will not be getting through to pick 4, he would be snapped at pick 1 before the team was even put on the clock. Sydney may have taken Buller hoping to turn him into either a ruck or a key defender for all we know.

One thing is for certain, our recruiters would have carefully considered each of the key forward prospects available, and ruled them out.

I think when you extrapolate it MR, even the next wave of KPF’s seem largely taken in the first round (often top 10) of the National Draft

• Max King
  • Ben King
  • Jack Lukocious
  • Jamarrah Ugle-Hagan
  • Harry McKay
  • Charlie Curnow
  • Aaron Naughton
  • Todd Marshall

There are variants, guys like Oscar Allen (early second round) and Nick Larkey (very late), but statistically speaking the next generation of KPFs will come from first round picks.

Says to me that the next KPF is likely to come via trade/ free agency as opposed to any other mechanism.

Jack Buller has kicked 5.3, 18 disposals and 5 marks to 3 qtr time in his first VFL match :straining:

Last time our arrogant recruiting staff overlooked a key forward that landed in their laps...Tom Brown over JVR.

A worrying trend for how this one will turn out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the old quantity hoping for quality argument. I argued against it before in the Matt Coulthard thread (I’ve linked it below for ease). It’s not without merit as I say but I don’t think it’s warranted.

Post in thread 'Welcome - Matt Coulthard - Pick 4 MSD 2023'
Player Watch - Welcome - Matt Coulthard - Pick 4 MSD 2023

I think when you extrapolate it MR, even the next wave of KPF’s seem largely taken in the first round (often top 10) of the National Draft

• Max King
  • Ben King
  • Jack Lukocious
  • Jamarrah Ugle-Hagan
  • Harry McKay
  • Charlie Curnow
  • Aaron Naughton
  • Todd Marshall

There are variants, guys like Oscar Allen (early second round) and Nick Larkey (very late), but statistically speaking the next generation of KPFs will come from first round picks.

Says to me that the next KPF is likely to come via trade/ free agency as opposed to any other mechanism.
Add Lynch

Last time our arrogant recruiting staff overlooked a key forward that landed in their laps...Tom Brown over JVR.

A worrying trend for how this one will turn out
The draft we actually missed the most is the 2017 draft
we had picks
#17 - Jack Higgins
#20 - Callum Coleman Jones
#25 - Noah Balta
#34 - patrick Naish

Could have been
#17 - Oscar Allen (21)
#20 - Noah Balta (25)
#25 - Sam Taylor (28)
#34 - Charlie Ballard (42)

Our team would have looked so much different today

we had picks
#17 - Jack Higgins
#25 - Noah Balta
#34 - patrick Naish

Could have been
#17 - Oscar Allen (21)
#20 - Noah Balta (25)
#25 - Sam Taylor (28)

Would we have taken 4 talls coming off a flag and knowing Lynch was coming?

we had picks
#17 - Jack Higgins
#25 - Noah Balta
#34 - patrick Naish

Could have been
#17 - Oscar Allen (21)
#20 - Noah Balta (25)
#25 - Sam Taylor (28)

Higgo was a strange choice given our surplus of smalls at the time , ironically he took butlers spot , I expect he’ll play close to 200 games , ccj I reckon is turning the corner at norf , not too disappointed tho that samo is in his spot

We wouldn’t have been able to pick Charlie Ballard at 34 seeing that was a father son pick

Back