[insert name] misses out on Rising Star this week, is still awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting tid bit:
since it's inception in 1993, players from Brisbane Bears received 5 nominations, Fitzroy 6, and Brisbane Lions 30.
That's 41 nominations between the 2 clubs and post-merger Lions. The most nominations in that time for a single club is 34 for WC and Melbourne.
Even if you take either of the Bears or Fitzroy out of the equation in the interest of only counting 1 club over the entire period we still have the most noms.
The Bears and Brisbane Lions have a combined 3 winners, 1 more than any team for the entire period.

We are the ******* kings of the Rising Star. :cool:

Disturbingly, until recently, Essendon and Fremantle have had the most nominations (5) in a single year.
2012 saw GWS win 8 nominations for the award. 8. :eek: I think those 8 nominations are an indictment on how the expansion team has been created.

For the record, I think Paps was robbed. It's a nice feather to have in the cap. He may get a nomination, or he might miss out. If at the end of the season he is considered to be worthy of winning the award, then he will have received a nomination and will be in the running. If he is not the best rising star for the year, then it is probably of little consequence whether he was nominated or not.
I'm not too worried, if you look through the list of winners, there are some big ******* heads.

EDIT: Figures all up to round 23 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Rising_Star#Winners

Last edited:
FFS Impey had only 10 ********* disposals, 1 tackle and 2 marks. Paps had 29 disposals, 7 marks and 1 goal

[Moderator's note: This thread was spun out of the Media Alert thread. Don't take it out on TheZork.]

I was stunned he didn't get it, or more correctly, that Impey did. Impey was generally pretty average that match.

Paparone, for his size, was given a primary mid-field role, and did well.

In summary, Paps robbed, Taylor and Gardiner would probably have been more deserved for the nom than Impey.

Impey's DE% did particularly strike me as craptastic considering he has played mainly in the back line and the majority of his disposal is uncontested.

I just imagine Carlisle & Nicky Reiwoldt watching 'The Notebook' together, emptying a box of tissues.
(In before Tairy, Keep it clean).

Sounds like they're keeping it clean with that box of tissues.

Personally I thought the nomination should have come from Paparone or Menzel. Both were very good and either was deserving.

Impey was a long way down and talking to a couple of Port guys they thought he has been doing okay but it would have not surprised them if he was dropped. The nomination was a surprise for them.

Impey has earned his spot in the #1 team and is playing a damn important role... he got the nod for consistent form all season, together with a great shutdown role. Pappa was in people's sights to be drop not that long ago...His time will come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impey has earned his spot in the #1 team and is playing a damn important role... he got the nod for consistent form all season, together with a great shutdown role. Pappa was in people's sights to be drop not that long ago...His time will come

Can't agree here; Impey was their sub in the previous two games and most defenders have shut down Ballantyne this season, especially recently. And Freo only went into the F50 37 times on the weekend.

Very very poor call to award Impey with the nomination :thumbsdown:

Can't agree here; Impey was their sub in the previous two games and most defenders have shut down Ballantyne this season, especially recently. And Freo only went into the F50 37 times on the weekend.

Very very poor call to award Impey with the nomination :thumbsdown:

Young player to get some sub time is surprising? Port are the leaders in fitness. Pappa would be playing ressies with Butcher if he played for Port... Impey has been great for port. I remember watching him live against us and he looked a season player compared to some of our youngsters

[QUOTEBalony_pony16, post: 33049233, member: 92188"]Young player to get some sub time is surprising? Port are the leaders in fitness. Pappa would be playing ressies with Butcher if he played for Port... Impey has been great for port. I remember watching him live against us and he looked a season player compared to some of our youngsters[/QUOTE]

Confident winning teams rookies will always play better than more talented rookies on losing teams.

Confident winning teams rookies will always play better than more talented rookies on losing teams.

I see your point.... but Impey has a bucket load of talent, and has to earn his spot in the Port team. That has merit and would stand out to judges of teh rising star award. Pappa's time will come, with 2 good weeks in the bank. He will be on the short list of judges to keep an eye out for, and you can easily pencil him in for a nomination in the next 10 weeks (if not very soon)

Young player to get some sub time is surprising? Port are the leaders in fitness. Pappa would be playing ressies with Butcher if he played for Port... Impey has been great for port. I remember watching him live against us and he looked a season player compared to some of our youngsters

Which one of his 5 seasoned player kicks in their of 113 point thrashing of us impressed you the most? :confused:

He had the least disposals for Port that day.

Which one of his 5 seasoned player kicks in their of 113 point thrashing of us impressed you the most? :confused:

He had the least disposals for Port that day.

it aint all about dream team stats mate. He looked very accomplished that day when it was his turn to go. His current role in the Port team will never allow him to put up huge numbers. Put Impey on the wing like papa has been and you would see his numbers skyrocket, but that doesnt mine it makes him a better player. He deserves his RS Nom! Lots of time for our boys to get their nom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back