News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree with Kane, we are getting softer day by day. In isolation it may seem trivial, what does it matter if it makes them happy. But if you add it to the endless little changes happening constantly like just this week Woolies and Aldi refusing to sell Australia day merchandise, South Australia renaming Anzac day etc etc... all to avoid hurting a very small % of peoples feelings.

Look at the bigger picture, at the macro level, Where do we end up in 5, 10, 20 years? With the advancement of technology, probably with double speak and thought police.
On the other hand they haven't avoided hurting your feelings.

Players' weights are absolutely irrelevant to fans, their body might be their job but it's no more in the 'public interest' than their latest eye or hearing test. Clubs know what they need to know. Cornes just being a clown as usual and whipping up the crowd that 'can't be offended' to clutch their pearls.

Happy to see Harley and Chesser have hit it off. Two country fellas who'll hopefully stick around here long term.

And here's hoping some of Chess's running/preparation rubs off of Harley and some of Harley's confidence/aggression rubs off on Chess.

This whole website is built on weird people who focus way too much on footy (including myself) and love preseason threads about who's bulked up and training the house down and draft threads about big bodied mids

We'll all have to make even less educated guesses from now on I suppose

This whole website is built on weird people who focus way too much on footy (including myself) and love preseason threads about who's bulked up and training the house down and draft threads about big bodied mids

We'll all have to make even less educated guesses from now on I suppose
How often does any of that come from how much they are listed as weighing though?

Of things I mentioned? I wouldve thought pretty much all of it?
I guess I just don't really recall too many 'Masten has been training the house down at preseason this year' or 'Ginbey looks huge day 1 back at training' posts referring to how much they are listed as weighing on the Eagles website.

It's not like those weights were correct or regularly updated anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess I just don't really recall too many 'Masten has been training the house down at preseason this year' or 'Ginbey looks huge day 1 back at training' posts referring to how much they are listed as weighing on the Eagles website.

It's not like those weights were correct or regularly updated anyway.

Well "Ginbey looks huge" would be far more quantifiable if we had last and this year's weights to compare ij my opinion but I guess we can just go on feel

Of course we probably shouldn't be commenting on body size at all really

Our low point was the back half of 2021 when we went from contending for a top 4 spot to missing finals altogether. Part of the problem was rushing back the stars from injury after a fighting win against Richmond that unsettled team balance. Fractures that began in the first hub, opened up completely and we finished the season badly

Graham and Hickmott both left at the end of that year, replaced by Schofield and Knights

If you remember, Simpson made some pointed remarks at the 2021 B&F about having each others backs and needing to work together. I don’t think the club was a happy place

Despite our onfield woes in 2022/23 there hasn’t been a lot of public bitching emanating from the club

There have been departures of off field staff but Rioli was the only player to ask to be traded out. No player, or officials, have said anything derogatory about the club after they’ve left that I’m aware of. Even someone like Greg Clark who had cause to be a bit miffed at his treatment was supportive of the club after he was delisted

As for the officials who have left :
• Nisbett was always going to leave by the end of 2024 and his imminent departure has been respectful
• O’Brien was being talked about retiring over 12 months ago and has been at the club for 30 years or thereabouts. He was due to leave
• The S&C department needed an overhaul with fresh eyes and that change has been done without any apparent bitterness from either club or individuals
• Pratt had been at the club for 10 years as an assistant which is a solid stint and a change is a good career move for him

As much as the west would like to have us believe we’re a divided club that leaks like a sieve, many of their scoops have proven to be false

The camaraderie between the young players is obvious

It’d be naive to think everybody at the club is happy but there’s no evidence to suggest that there’s widespread morale issues which I think is quite remarkable all things considered
Honestly we are coming off the worst season in the clubs history, turned over everyone bar the senior coach in the last few years, who claims everything is coming up roses.
I’ll be happy to see what reality brings before claiming we are on the right track.

If we aren't allowed to mention the players weights then its time to sue the AFL on Naitanui's behave to get him exonerated for that tackle suspension and all the AFL employees involved in the that decision sacked.

Only fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back