Toast Irish eyes are definitely smiling! Coverage of the win from Ireland

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought I'd do a coverage of what they're saying in Ireland about Tuohy and O'Connor. Are they proud? Yes they fecking are!!!

Grand Final joy for Tuohy and O'Connor as Geelong destroy Sydney
Saturday, 24 Sep 2022 09:52

001c869c-800.jpg

Geelong Cats 133-52 Sydney Swans

There was Grand Final joy for Ireland's Geelong pair Zach Tuohy and Mark O’Connor as the Geelong Cats were crowned AFL champions after a 132-52 destruction of the Sydney Swans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

In helping the Cats to their first title since 2011, the pair became only the second and third Irish players to ever win a Grand Final after Tadhg Kennelly had done so with the Swans in 2005.

Kennelly’s fellow Kerry man O’Connor was originally listed as an emergency player for the final, but was drafted in pre-game to replace Max Holmes with the club stating that "the risk was deemed too great" to risk the latter.

It was plain sailing from start to finish for Geelong following an astonishing opening quarter that saw them kick six goals to lead 41-6 with Tuohy, who was chaired off by team-mates afterwards having played his 250th game, particularly impressive.

That meant that the game was effectively over as a contest early on, but after an even-scoring second quarter, Geelong continued to run riot after half time to canter to the crown 20.13 (133) to 8.4 (52) in front of a heaving crowd of 100,024.

"They're hard to win and every side says it, but I think we deserved one," said emotional Geelong captain Joel Selwood, who won his fourth AFL championship after Grand Final triumphs in 2007, 2009 and 2011.

"This has been building for five or six years."

The showpiece match of Australian Rules football returned to the MCG for the first time since Covid-19 - but the sell-out crowd at the sport's spiritual home were denied anything like a contest.

The oldest and meanest team in the AFL, Geelong booted seven of the first eight goals in a ferocious start, dismantling a Swans midfield that appeared paralysed by stage fright.

The Cats then shut down the match with six unanswered goals in the third quarter to trigger early celebrations in their sleepy home base an hour out of Melbourne.

"This is the pinnacle," said Geelong's veteran utility Patrick Dangerfield. "Worth the wait and better than I could have ever imagined, it's bloody special. We just played such a complete game."

The Cats' 16th win in succession capped one of their most dominant seasons, while erasing the heartbreak of their Grand Final thrashing by Richmond two years ago in Brisbane.

Geelong winger Isaac Smith kicked three goals and won the Norm Smith medal as the Grand Final's best player, but plenty of his team mates had claims to the prize.

The Cats' small forward Tyson Stengle top-scored with four goals, while power forward Tom Hawkins booted three, igniting his team with the first two of the game as he outpointed the Swans' big man Tom Hickey twice in ruck duels.

More had been expected of the Swans, who came into the match on a nine-game winning streak.

But they head home sore and sorry after humiliation on the game's biggest stage.

"We'll be back hungrier and better for it next year," said Swans co-captain Dane Rampe. "To our red-and-white supporters, sorry, we failed you today."

and

AFL Grand Final glory for Kerry’s Mark O’Connor with Geelong
September 24 2022 10:14 AM

15062018BM0004

Dingle’s Mark O’Connor has become the second ever Kerry player to taste ultimate glory in the Australian Football League, following in the footsteps of Listowel man Tadhg Kennelly.

O’Connor was a late call up for Geelong in Saturday morning’s Grand Final, having originally been listed as an emergency player, getting the nod to replace Max Holmes on Australian sport’s showpiece event.

Lining out alongside fellow Irish man Zach Tuohy (of Laois), the former All Ireland winning minor captain was part of a landslide success for the Melbourne club over Kennelly’s former club, the Sydney Swans.

Geelong’s victory, which was described in some Australian media as a “bloodbath”, saw them run out a whopping 81-point victors, 133 to 52. One of the biggest margins of victory ever in a Grand Final.

Indeed, the Cats put in the most comprehensive first quarter performance in twenty five years according to Australian sports website The Roar – 41 to 6 at that juncture.

From there the game was all but run with O’Connor’s Geelong always destined for victory in front of the 100,024 spectators at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

and

"I've got a Portlaoise flag... where I started" - Tuohy reflects on Premiership win
September 25, 2022

cec756b9-2072-44fe-ba44-f5ba7ac354b7.jpg

Portlaoise's Zach Tuohy and Mark O'Connor from Dingle became AFL Premiership champions on Saturday when helping Geelong Cats to an impressive 133-52 Grand Final victory against Sydney Swans at the MCG.

They join Tadhg Kennelly, who won an AFL Premiership medal with Swans in 2005, as the only Irish players to have won a AFL Grand Final. Making his 250th AFL appearance, former Laois minor and U21 star Tuohy reflected on his achievements, saying it was the type of moment that made all the 'tough' days away from home worthwhile.

"Every player has tough times, but I think the homesickness is a unique experience for the Irish guys," the 32-year-old told foxfooty.com.au afterwards.

"Although players shift states, you can’t even pick up the phone at all times to call your family because it’s the middle of the night.

"Even that alone I think people probably don’t appreciate how hard that can be.

"I’m lucky to be in the environment I’m in, but there were a lot of bad days early."

Tuohy is never one to forget his root and had a Portlaoise flag draped around his shoulders as he celebrated with his Geelong teammates.

"I know it (premiership) means a lot to my family especially, even more than me," he continued.

"We talked and it feels a bit like it’s full circle. I’ve got a Portlaoise flag, which is where I started. It hasn’t sunk in."

and this Radio Kerry interview with Mark O'Connor's dad!!

Things that keep me awake at night..

If you talk about the players individually, how do you describe them?

2nd Irishman to win, 3rd?

They obviously won the flag at the same time. so describing together you could say 2nd and 3rd, but individually?

I am losing sleep!

How good was the interview with O'Connor's father? Class act. You can see where Mark gets it from.

Ozguy said:
so describing together you could say 2nd and 3rd, but individually?

I think I read somewhere that for breaking this kind of tie they go by guernsey number, which makes Tuohy second and O'Connor third.

How good was the interview with O'Connor's father? Class act. You can see where Mark gets it from.

I think I read somewhere that for breaking this kind of tie they go by guernsey number, which makes Tuohy second and O'Connor third.
I would have thought the player with the greater number of AFL games would be the decider.

I thought I'd do a coverage of what they're saying in Ireland about Tuohy and O'Connor. Are they proud? Yes they fecking are!!!

and

and

and this Radio Kerry interview with Mark O'Connor's dad!!

Love the interview with Mark's Dad, pointing out that star, Patrick Dangerfield, who is "32-33" only got his first premiership medal on Saturday, and what a momentous occasion for the town of Dingle for Mark to do the same!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back