Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
so you discount his best era which happens to be post 2017 - and you believe you are offering an unbiased assessment.
I think we are all bit smarter than to fall for the ruse.

Oh aren't you the clever one not falling for my ruse.

Pot calling the kettle black. Your constant references to bias when you yourself completely discount the poor years from 2013-2017 only to focus on 2018-2020. Selective bias by chance? Do you actually believe what you are saying? You actually argue like the former president McGuire. All full of your own self importance and inability to listen to converse arguments/positions. Just bluff and bullying.

If you read my comments again you will find that I have deliberately discounted both the good and the poor periods for balance and of course to cater for trigger happy supporters such as yourself.

Pot calling the kettle black. Your constant references to bias when you yourself completely discount the poor years from 2013-2017 only to focus on 2018-2020. Selective bias by chance? Do you actually believe what you are saying? You actually argue like the former president McGuire. All full of your own self importance and inability to listen to converse arguments/positions. Just bluff and bullying.

If you read my comments again you will find that I have deliberately discounted both the good and the poor periods for balance and of course to cater for trigger happy supporters such as yourself.

I’m not sure how many times I need to say this - anyone looking for a Coach is looking at recent years results.
Do you want GW to chose a Coach with good recent results or good results 10 years ago but subsequently been a dud?
I’m simply putting the real world analysis to you - I’m sorry if that offends you.
There is no scenario where a Coaching selection panel uses the analysis you’re suggesting.
As for bullying- I’m sure the moderators would have intervened if that was true.

2020-2021 has been horrible. We’ve beaten eagles since round 7 of 2020.. the eagles! That’s it! All our other wins have been bottom 8 teams.Spinny ignores facts like that

Spinny, it’s not 2018. Let it go. For bucks entire coaching career bar one year, we’ve gotten worse. That’s just facts. It’s time to move him on. We’ve beaten one top 8 team in 12 months.. ONE
Buckley’s “trend line” from the end of 2011 to 2018 is a straight line.

I’m not sure how many times I need to say this - anyone looking for a Coach is looking at recent years results.
Do you want GW to chose a Coach with good recent results or good results 10 years ago but subsequently been a dud?
I’m simply putting the real world analysis to you - I’m sorry if that offends you.
There is no scenario where a Coaching selection panel uses the analysis you’re suggesting.
As for bullying- I’m sure the moderators would have intervened if that was true.

Offended not at all. Good sport.

So on the basis of looking at recent results, one would assume that GW in critiquing Buckley, would place more weight on the most recent results being 2021 (which is in essence what I was saying in the original post) and less weight on 2018-20. Wouldn't you agree?

So on the basis of looking at recent results, one would assume that GW in critiquing Buckley, would place more weight on the most recent results being 2021 (which is in essence what I was saying in the original post) and less weight on 2018-20. Wouldn't you agree?
Wright has said publicly that results don’t matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spinny, it’s not 2018. Let it go. For bucks entire coaching career bar one year, we’ve gotten worse. That’s just facts. It’s time to move him on. We’ve beaten one top 8 team in 12 months.. ONE

why don’t you recognize it’s irrelevant analysis, given that a flag for Bucks in 2018 would not change the graph?
And that from a 2010 Flag, even winning Flags in 2012 and 2013 would have had little impact on the Trend.
Its naive analysis, and to actually applaud it, despite these clear shortcomings makes such people look foolish.

not sure where you expect the trend to go after a GF win in 2010.
And your graph for Buckley would not change even if we’d won the flag in 2018.
So it’s a completely pointless exercise.
Lies damn lies and statistics.
hilarious - I marked you down as an early responder with that type of response

i said recent years not recent games.

You need to ask yourself a simple question - why would a smart operator like GW, be considering extending Buckley if not for his results post 2017.
Without such results GW would have already been taking interviews.

Last edited:
why don’t you recognize it’s irrelevant analysis, given that a flag for Bucks in 2018 would not change the graph?
And that from a 2010 Flag, even winning Flags in 2012 and 2013 would have had little impact on the Trend.
Its naive analysis, and to actually applaud it, despite these clear shortcomings makes such people look foolish.
We will never agree on this, and that’s fine. I just think we need a change of coach.

It means a flag winning Coach is still damned by the analysis- which is clearly fanciful.
pure hypothesis re Buckley winning in 2018

the trend line is the trend line - nothing more - feel free to attach your emotional defence of Buckley to it

Tony Jewel won one flag in 1980 - he's hardly regarded in the pantheon of AFL coaches, but is likely to always have one more flag than Buckley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back