Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I've been critical of Bucks, but I hope he's okay.

He looked flat at the presser.
Yes the last couple of interviews have been flat. Although it won't matter what he does with the media they will choose to pile on when they think he or Collingwood is sinking. Hopefully he has decided to put his energy into what he can control and the team internally. Only he knows how we will fair this year and if any youngsters are worthy of a debut. I would find it hard rocking up and having to answer questions from those muppets.

Yes the last couple of interviews have been flat. Although it won't matter what he does with the media they will choose to pile on when they think he or Collingwood is sinking. Hopefully he has decided to put his energy into what he can control and the team internally. Only he knows how we will fair this year and if any youngsters are worthy of a debut. I would find it hard rocking up and having to answer questions from those muppets.

I think it’s more about the clubs relationship with the media. AFL says he has to do those post match interviews so it’s not his choice.

I think it’s more about the clubs relationship with the media. AFL says he has to do those post match interviews so it’s not his choice.

All coaches are obligated to do post match interviews. Comes with the territory. If you wish to be the head coach of a high profile club like Collingwood, then you need to deal with it.

All coaches are obligated to do post match interviews. Comes with the territory. If you wish to be the head coach of a high profile club like Collingwood, then you need to deal with it.

As I said, he has to do them, doesn’t have to be socially effusive while doing so. He’s never been over the top but he’s been even more monotone this year which I’d suggested was potentially linked to the clubs relationship with the media after the post season rather than an issue with Bucks. MM spent more time talking in riddles than answering questions. Just think it’s a long bow to suggest it has anything to do with Bucks well-being.

As I said, he has to do them, doesn’t have to be socially effusive while doing so. He’s never been over the top but he’s been even more monotone this year which I’d suggested was potentially linked to the clubs relationship with the media after the post season rather than an issue with Bucks. MM spent more time talking in riddles than answering questions. Just think it’s a long bow to suggest it has anything to do with Bucks well-being.

I agree. And if it does have anything to do with Nathan's well being/head space, then he potentially has some tough decisions to make.

The evidence is there mate, maybe you need to take your blinkers off
He had the perfect opportunity in 2018 to at least win some silver wear and blew it becouse his teams could never put in 2 or 3 great performances in a row.
1. 2018 killing Richmond chocking wce
2.2020 beating wcw getting thrashed to geelong
If Buckley was coach at the time players like Swan Dydak even maybe Thomas would have never had a career at the pies just like Stephenson.
To compare and say Malthouse didnt play the kids and Buckley did! is laughable and comical no offence to you intended .
Malthouse would play kids in big games mcgough on anzac day, and would give the kids a block of 4 or 5 games unlike Buckley.
To compare Malthouse to Buckley in any aspect of coaching to me is ridiculous .
Malthouse left a legacy at Collingwood Buckley should have been sacked 4 or 5 years ago

You’ve got absolutely no evidence that the Players don’t play for Buckley - you don’t make finals Top 4 PF’s and GF’s if you’ve lost the players. Your examples are just absurd - that no one would agree with.
Like I said you weren’t here during the days people were bagging MM for not playing kids and playing favourites.
I’ve got no problem with you supporting MM but bagging Buckley with fallacies is unnecessary.

You’ve got absolutely no evidence that the Players don’t play for Buckley
If we were beaten badly on Thursday I would have had my doubts.
They responded as I hoped they would.

If we were beaten badly on Thursday I would have had my doubts.
They responded as I hoped they would.

exactly - i too thought it was going to be a litmus test, as I had an uneasy feeling the AT saga may have had a profound influence on morale given our performance against WB.
Thankfully my fears were completely unfounded.

We agree to disagree.
In regards to Buckley i would like your take on two questions?
1.Buckley is heading in his 10th year of coaching do you believe he has been at Collingwood too long considering he has not won a premieship? lets not kid ourselves profesional sports is results driven.
2.For Buckleys contract to be extended at Collingwood beyond 2021 , what expectations need to be met at our club this year?
I think for bucks to continue, we'll need to play finals and have quite a few of the new kids pushing for positions as genuine first grade prospects.
There must be a feeling we're heading for success, rather than down the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We agree to disagree.
In regards to Buckley i would like your take on two questions?
1.Buckley is heading in his 10th year of coaching do you believe he has been at Collingwood too long considering he has not won a premieship? lets not kid ourselves profesional sports is results driven.
2.For Buckleys contract to be extended at Collingwood beyond 2021 , what expectations need to be met at our club this year?

I’ll throw it back on you who said he should have been sacked 3-4 years ago.
Why aren’t his achievements over the last 3 years enough for you not reconsider that view - it’s not as if we’ve been bottom 6 in that time.

I think there are 2 scenarios in which he gets reappointed.
- TOP 4 - indicating we are contending again with a rejuvenated 22.

- Top 8 - having blooded some good kids who have been established as best 22, and inexperience in matches costing a Top 4 spot.

Anything less and I don’t see him getting reappointed.

I’ll throw it back on you who said he should have been sacked 3-4 years ago.
Why aren’t his achievements over the last 3 years enough for you not reconsider that view - it’s not as if we’ve been bottom 6 in that time.

I think there are 2 scenarios in which he gets reappointed.
- TOP 4 - indicating we are contending again with a rejuvenated 22.

- Top 8 - having blooded some good kids who have been established as best 22, and inexperience in matches costing a Top 4 spot.

Anything less and I don’t see him getting reappointed.

Becouse we are Collingwood! we are the Barcelona Real Madrid Manchester utd of the A.F.L
We should look at it , premieships or bust! within reason at times you need to rebuild for 2 or 3 years.
For me one premieship every 20 years should not be seen as good enough! 1990 and 2010 for a club like ours.
Agree with you statement on Buckley has to make the top 4 or make the top 8 and have bloided at least 5 or 6 kids given them at least half a dozen games, give a chance to players like Keane Kelly Rusling to establish themselves injuries permitting.

This thread is probably titled wrong, of course he’s a good match day coach, wouldn’t have played so many finals if he wasn’t recently. But there are many good match day coaches, the title should be “is Buckley a premiership capable coach?”

Becouse we are Collingwood! we are the Barcelona Real Madrid Manchester utd of the A.F.L
We should look at it , premieships or bust! within reason at times you need to rebuild for 2 or 3 years.
For me one premieship every 20 years should not be seen as good enough! 1990 and 2010 for a club like ours.
Agree with you statement on Buckley has to make the top 4 or make the top 8 and have bloided at least 5 or 6 kids given them at least half a dozen games, give a chance to players like Keane Kelly Rusling to establish themselves injuries permitting.

I know you mean Ruscoe.
But you didn’t answer my question.
Why, with the clearly very positive results in recent years do you still believe Buckley should have been sacked 4 years ago.
What is your logic?

I know you mean Ruscoe.
But you didn’t answer my question.
Why, with the clearly very positive results in recent years do you still believe Buckley should have been sacked 4 years ago.
What is your logic?

Becouse he didnt look even close to winning a premieship at the end of 2017, by then he had 6 years at the club.
Even looking at it now at present he has been our coach for 10 years with nothing to show for it ,zero premieships.
Its a results driven game, a big club like ours should at least in my opinion not keep a coach for this long without winning any silver wear no matter what the circumstances
For a club like ours possitive results should not be the be all and end all it should be premieships!
A coach when he comes to Collingwood depending on the health of our senior list should now if we are in contention he has 3 years to win a flag or his out!
If we are rebuilding give him 5 or 6 years

Last edited:
Becouse he didnt look even close to winning a premieship at the end of 2017, by then he had 6 years at the club.
Even looking at it now at present he has been our coach for 10 years with nothing to show for it ,zero premieships.
Its a results driven game, a big club like ours should at least in my opinion not keep a coach for this long without winning any silver wear no matter what the circumstances
For a club like ours possitive results should not be the be all and end all it should be premieships!
A coach when he comes to Collingwood depending on the health of our senior list should now if we are in contention he has 3 years to win a flag or his out!
If we are rebuilding give him 5 or 6 years

Sorry - you haven’t answered the question again - you said you believe he should have been sacked 4 years ago. In other words you are not satisfied with the achievements since 2017, (which have been very good by any reasonable assessment).
Please explain why.

Single moments in the lives of Lenny Hayes and Dom Sheed have shaped peoples relative perspective on the Malthouse/Buckley debate.

Change the outcome of those two single incidents, both out of the coaches control, and the debate would take an entirely different shape.

Single moments in the lives of Lenny Hayes and Dom Sheed have shaped peoples relative perspective on the Malthouse/Buckley debate.

Change the outcome of those two single incidents, both out of the coaches control, and the debate would take an entirely different shape.

Brilliant.

Sorry - you haven’t answered the question again - you said you believe he should have been sacked 4 years ago. In other words you are not satisfied with the achievements since 2017, (which have been very good by any reasonable assessment).
Please explain why.
We obviously have different ways of looking at measuring what is a passable perfomance for a coach at Collingwood.
For me 10 years for a coach is way too much without winning a premieship.
I have answered your question more then once, for a club like ours the only unit of measurement for a coach should be premueships.
For me 10 years is more then enough, in fact its too much to rebuild a team and win a premieship.
Under Maguires presidency , he has many things to be proud of turning us in to an economic powerhouse moving us to olympic park are just some.
However he has been more then generous in giving coaches time to win a flag Malthouse 12 years if i am not mistaken ,Buckley 10 years.
For one premieship for me that is a fail.
Its time we become ruthless and change tact when it comes to a coaches rein at Collingwood. Premieships or your out!
In a rebuild they have 5 or 6 years to do it.
Otherwise 3 years and your out

It's bizarre how someone can call Buckley a good coach because he's taken us to the finals.. what the hell did you expect with the calibre of players we've had over the last few yrs.. they can effectively coach themselves and make the finals.. but hey Buckley's a gem. He's hopeless.

Common guys how can we say the last 22 years which has yielded one premieship is good enough for a club like Collingwood.
I would rather without even thinking about it be in Richmond shoes in the last 22 years, were they have finished 9th 12 times but have 3 premieships to show for it.
We need to be more ruthless and demanding when it comes to coaches at Collingwood , not only the senior coach but the football department as a hole.
Deliver premieship or your out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back