Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Common guys how can we say the last 22 years which has yielded one premieship is good enough for a club like Collingwood.
I would rather without even thinking about it be in Richmond shoes in the last 22 years, were they have finished 9th 12 times but have 3 premieships to show for it.
We need to be more ruthless and demanding when it comes to coaches at Collingwood , not only the senior coach but the football department as a hole.
Deliver premieship or your out!

Again this is a well worn and populist argument that change will get results - there are no guarantees.
Just look at how many Coaches Carl turned over without success.
Buckleys time is probably up, but the Club was right to reappoint him in 2017.
Every year clubs looks to take lessons from the Premiers in the hope of getting closer to a flag. It doesn’t work.
And saying 2 flags in 22 years is not good enough offers nothing in terms of specifics on how to get better - saying we need change without specifics is not a plan, it’s just a leap of faith

Again this is a well worn and populist argument that change will get results - there are no guarantees.
Just look at how many Coaches Carl turned over without success.
Buckleys time is probably up, but the Club was right to reappoint him in 2017.
Every year clubs looks to take lessons from the Premiers in the hope of getting closer to a flag. It doesn’t work.
And saying 2 flags in 22 years is not good enough offers nothing in terms of specifics on how to get better - saying we need change without specifics is not a plan, it’s just a leap of faith
Do you want bucks coaching next year? Or do you want change? Including Harvey and Sanderson getting the 🥾

That's a very good and difficult question to answer.

Clearly a premiership and the jobs his for life. But this is unlikely all things considered. I'm sure you've heard the old saying "Keep doing what you're doing, keep getting what you get." I'm no longer as passionate as I once was (and I was very passionate once) so I'm not going to jump off a bridge if Nathan is reappointed again. However I think it is probably time for a fresh outlook. The club does look stale across the board.

fair enough

Do you want bucks coaching next year? Or do you want change? Including Harvey and Sanderson getting the 🥾

I outlined earlier the 2 scenarios under which I’d reappoint him - otherwise I thinks it’s time.
I have no issues with changing assistants- in fact making Skipworth fwd Coach may prove to have been a good change given how we moved the ball I50 on Thursday night. It was a revelation.

I’ll address the thread title.
When we win he is and when we lose he, (usually) isn’t.

PS: No more discussion about what happened 10 yrs ago please.

I’ll address the thread title.
When we win he is and when we lose he, (usually) isn’t.

PS: No more discussion about what happened 10 yrs ago please.

Back on thread, he has the potential to be a good game day coach, I did like how we rotated players through different positions and different structure set ups at different periods the other night. In part that might be to do with the new stand rule, as it allows more game flow.

At other times he is stagnant like most of 2020 in chess pieces and structure.

All of that is inconsistent in his pressers sometimes, so is hard to read his intent. Says on one hand wants more scoring footy but then in the same presser he wants his key targets (mason) up field when we're in d50. :shrug:

Back on thread, he has the potential to be a good game day coach, I did like how we rotated players through different positions and different structure set ups at different periods the other night. In part that might be to do with the new stand rule, as it allows more game flow.

At other times he is stagnant like most of 2020 in chess pieces and structure.

All of that is inconsistent in his pressers sometimes, so is hard to read his intent. Says on one hand wants more scoring footy but then in the same presser he wants his key targets (mason) up field when we're in d50. :shrug:
Potential? He was voted coach of the year in 2018.

Yes he has potential, why do you question that - when it has been proven? As a side note reckon Simpson should've got that award.

You're weird, you defend him like a loyal Doberman its master yet you question his potential. :drunk:
What? Do you understand what the words potential means?

If we don’t make the eight under reasonable circumstances, he is gone.
If we do and do well, he will be in charge next year.
If so many will have to deal with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don’t make the eight under reasonable circumstances, he is gone.
If we do and do well, he will be in charge next year.
If so many will have to deal with that.
Yeah we'll finish 7th or 8th and he'll be extended for another 3 years. We'll plod along as we are now, wasting the careers of Moore and the Daicos brothers like we did with Pendles and Sidey.

I’m not really anti coach but it probably is time for a refresh and a new direction, sort of like the reason the handover was put in place.

Yeah we'll finish 7th or 8th and he'll be extended for another 3 years. We'll plod along as we are now, wasting the careers of Moore and the Daicos brothers like we did with Pendles and Sidey.
ITs not up to people on here, so if he is, just deal with it and move on, this crap is so boring, ffs, move on from mm and that. Footy has changed a lot since then.

So much this.

Backed by a midfield coach who can't get a job elsewhere and another coach that was sacked after a player revolt.

no way this will happen, unless he’s uncovered 3-4 kids who are best 22 by year end. And a Top 4 spot has been missed due to this inexperience costing games.
Otherwise a 7/8 spot will not cut it IMO.

Single moments in the lives of Lenny Hayes and Dom Sheed have shaped peoples relative perspective on the Malthouse/Buckley debate.

Change the outcome of those two single incidents, both out of the coaches control, and the debate would take an entirely different shape.

The thousands of other single moments in a season.. do not count? We can narrow it down if you like.. and just look at the game in it's entirety. Or it's just all about Dom Sheed?

We did not deserve to win it.

Single moments in the lives of Lenny Hayes and Dom Sheed have shaped peoples relative perspective on the Malthouse/Buckley debate.

Change the outcome of those two single incidents, both out of the coaches control, and the debate would take an entirely different shape.

You want to talk about Sheed being blessed.. what about Darling scuffing his foot half a meter out from the big sticks for one of the easiest gf sausage rolls of all time.. with how much left on the clock.. enough time to get it up to the opposite end of the pitch for a premiership winning sausage roll.. don't want to discuss that do you? Just Dom Sheed.

I outlined earlier the 2 scenarios under which I’d reappoint him - otherwise I thinks it’s time.
I have no issues with changing assistants- in fact making Skipworth fwd Coach may prove to have been a good change given how we moved the ball I50 on Thursday night. It was a revelation.

Wait until they do it against a side that applies pressure. Carlton laid around 4 tackles in the first quarter. It was almost circle work.

If the club wants to stay this woke, socially driven entity then he is every chance to hang on. If they want to get back to a football club, intent on winning flags then he is as good as gone. He simply does not have what it takes to drive a side to a flag. Lacks the ruthless edge and that is coming through in the players. Grundy reckons flags are not the measure. If Clarko heard that he would pull Grundy aside and give him the truth, you take a million a year for 7 years, then its the only measure that counts. What he does post footy is up to him, but right here, right now, 100% flag focus.

I have been a big Grundy supporter but that made me sick. That sort of BS attitude flows from the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back