Opinion Is Buddy's nine year contract finally coming back to haunt the Swans?

Is Buddy's nine year contract finally haunting the Swans?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney will weasel out of it somehow - whether it be by some kind of league amnesty or having a desperate Vic club take him for the last year.

Buddy and Clarko Retirement tour 2022?

How incompetent do you claim Buddys management is?

IF Buddy isnt getting a big lump of the AFLs marketing dollars for NSW ...... what he's done for Aussie Rules in NSW is very significant.

How incompetent do you claim Buddys management is?

IF Buddy isnt getting a big lump of the AFLs marketing dollars for NSW ...... what he's done for Aussie Rules in NSW is very significant.

I was implying Buddy would still get his money. It’s just Sydney won’t wear all of it in their cap...

Hence Sydney would be weaselling out of the deal ‘coming back to haunt them’. :)

It isn't really a problem. I mean we are 17th on the ladder so Buddy's contract isn't the difference between us being 17th and 1st. Teams at the bottom of the ladder often struggle to even reach the salary cap floor, that won't be a problem for the Swans, and we won't really be harmed by it.

The problem is spending $1m plus on a player contributing very little on field for two years now and he has two more years to go.

I'd sure the club would rather spend $1m and $1.4m attracting another gun free agent but that coin is tied up. They likely will still land Daniher but that will use more cap space. Can only afford 3 to 4 top shelf / top paid guns.

The problem is spending $1m plus on a player contributing very little on field for two years now and he has two more years to go.

I'd sure the club would rather spend $1m and $1.4m attracting another gun free agent but that coin is tied up. They likely will still land Daniher but that will use more cap space. Can only afford 3 to 4 top shelf / top paid guns.
Yep, it's been a gamble, which didn't pay off in terms of flags - though definitely in terms of marketing - and it may come back to bite us now, but frankly, my club hasn't put too many feet wrong in the last couple of decades so I'll let 'em have this one.

Plus I've gotten to see the great Buddy Franklin up close every second week, instead of only when we were playing the Hawks.

Lol, you say free kicks was the difference, I take your graphic and raise you scoring shots 28 to 19 and inside 50's 59 to 41.

Swans had the worst free kick differential of the league that year. Not just against us, against every body else. Anybody can point out free kicks their team should have received in any game, I can point out a dozen we missed that were blatant in the 16 GF. Swans fans can equally point to a dozen they should have received. Games done, silverwares in the cupboard, move on FFS.

Swans had the worst free kick differential of the league that year. Not just against us, against every body else. Anybody can point out free kicks their team should have received in any game, I can point out a dozen we missed that were blatant in the 16 GF. Swans fans can equally point to a dozen they should have received. Games done, silverwares in the cupboard, move on FFS.
Free kicks are one of those things.

You are right that there are examples every game that are got wrong, and usually it evens itself out. But sometimes there is a major imbalance that just cannot be explained normally; either it is a major statistical outlier or there is a bias going on.

What makes me laugh regarding free kicks generally is that many have a belief that the free kick count should even itself out over a year (or however long) and that like the toss of a coin, will end up close to even in the long run. It won't. It depends on how you play the game. Some teams in a season will be on the wrong end of the free count most weeks - because of how they play the game.

Think Freo under Ross Lyon. There was a rabid group of supporters who whinged nearly every week that the umpires had it in for them. Not true. Under RoLy they played a high pressure, extremely defensive style that relied on attacking the player with the ball and locking the ball in. This style will always (if executed correctly) give away more kicks than it gets (might be different under the latest HTB interpretation - bring back RoLyball).

Sydney 2016 also played a style that more often than not was going to be a winner on the scoreboard but a loser on the free count. Every team would take that! Even in an even handed umpire display the Swans would usually lose out.

But as I've said re the 2016 GF. I wanted the Dogs to win, but the umpiring was heavily biased (unconscious I would say) and one of the worst displays I have seen. Would it have made a difference if it was more even handed? Did the umpiring put the Swans off their game? The bottom line is we will never know.

But as I've said re the 2016 GF. I wanted the Dogs to win, but the umpiring was heavily biased (unconscious I would say) and one of the worst displays I have seen. Would it have made a difference if it was more even handed? Did the umpiring put the Swans off their game? The bottom line is we will never know.
I not only wanted the Dogs to win, but I had money on it, too.

And it was one of the most egregious displays of fixed umpiring I have ever seen in any sport.

The Swans never stood a chance.

The first half of the Grand Final the following year was just as bad.

Adelaide fans have every right to still be fuming about what happened that day.

Holy s**t Buddy still has two years left on his contract?

Good on him, I say. Getting paid the big bucks despite not getting on the park.

A superstar back in his day. I remember him almost single-handedly killing the NMFC down in Tassie one miserable afternoon.

I think he kicked a dozen goals, it might have even been more. I don't really want to look it up tbh.

Anyhow, shame for Sydney. Hope the AFL holds them accountable for this, no special clauses or let-offs.

A superstar back in his day. I remember him almost single-handedly killing the NMFC down in Tassie one miserable afternoon.

I think he kicked a dozen goals, it might have even been more. I don't really want to look it up tbh.
At his best an absolute superstar. Could destroy a game.

Like you I remember my team getting Buddy'ed. First game at the new stadium, Buddy just ravaged and pillaged, kicking eight. Party destroyer.
I think he was a question mark before the game and re-injured his heel during the game and missed a lot of 2018. Didn't stop him that day though. Edit - he played 19 games but there were a lot of hobbling part efforts in that.

I think we have seen the best of Buddy. Even if he gets back it will be less game time, slower, older Buddy. That's life.
He might tear the odd game or quarter up from time to time, but he'll never be the guy who everyone fears again. Not in the way it used to be.

He's had an amazing career.
Even with his injuries he's managed 300. No WCE has managed that.
He's played since 2005. Who else is still active from then?
He's kicked 944 goals. Exceptional in the modern era. I'd like him to reach 1000, just not any against us.

I get the feeling Buddy wouldn't have the same number of soft tissue injuries if he dropped a few kegs.

He needs to get his frame back to c.2006-2007-2008 shape.

Too much bulk for him to carry as it is, now.

That's a fair call, but if you look at his genes, he was always going to go this way - particularly as he can't train like he used to.

I honestly think it's natural bulk that has built with age. In the years you mentioned, he was still a kid. If you look at the size of his dad, you can see Buddy really adding the kilos post-retirement. Buddy will never get back to the build he had in 2006.

Just said basically the same thing before I saw this..

Holy sh*t Buddy still has two years left on his contract?

Good on him, I say. Getting paid the big bucks despite not getting on the park.

Anyhow, shame for Sydney. Hope the AFL holds them accountable for this, no special clauses or let-offs.

Let me remind you...

"Thirteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, thirteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen............" :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans clearly are more interested in marketing gains than winning a flag, so it's all worthwhile.

The most dynamic player of the last decade coached by a monotonal speaker and monotonous strategist.

A match made on heaven.

Anyone know what Papley is on atm when he signed 2 years ago?

If I’m him and I see Reid next year on 600k and buddy on 1.5mil I’d be pretty pissed

The other thing to factor is the potential decrease in cap. Buddy on 1.5 mil next year, if the cap comes down a fair bit then it hurts even more taking up a larger percentage

If I’m him and I see Reid next year on 600k and buddy on 1.5mil I’d be pretty pissed

The other thing to factor is the potential decrease in cap. Buddy on 1.5 mil next year, if the cap comes down a fair bit then it hurts even more taking up a larger percentage

The 1.5 would come down proportionately

Given the Swans position on the ladder and the age of our side (we are super young) I doubt we are going to be having too many salary cap issues the next few years.
Might be a bit of 'chicken or egg' going on here.

What you say is true. BUT...
is that because you are in this situation because you were forced to offload high earners like Mitchell, Rohan and so on? And are you in your ladder position and paying/playing youth because they're not in Sydney any more? If you'd not had the Buddy dollar problem, would those guys still be there, and winning games?

Any reduction of cap won't be counted n for existing contracts. The AFL have already said so. It will be a soft transition where new contracts count in full, and old contracts count on a scale (similar to the transition in the late 80s that allowed teams to still pay over until the early 90s)

Back