Opinion Is Charlie Curnow underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleansweep17

Premiership Player
Dec 20, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
Just looking at the stats, I believe he is a little underrated, at his best he’s got factually better stats than some of the “great” forwards this century. Let’s take a comparison against Hawkins:

Curnow v Hawkins

Most goals in a game: 10 v 8

Most goals in a season: 81 v 68

Coleman: 2 v 1

I’m comfortable with saying is peak is a lot better than Hawkins.

Unless he wins a premiership he will be remembered as a slightly better Fevola, which is still a ridiculously good player.

But I think he can leave a greater legacy like Hawkins has.

Just looking at the stats, I believe he is a little underrated, at his best he’s got factually better stats than some of the “great” forwards this century. Let’s take a comparison against Hawkins:

Curnow v Hawkins

Eagles were a basket case in 2023.
Curnow kicked 10 and 9 against them.
Let’s not get too excited.

Neither underrated or overrated.
He's a gun who would have had an even higher standing in the game had he not sustained chronic knee issues. His body finally came right at 25yrs of age and hasn't looked back since.

On the flip side, Harry McKay is overrated.
Preached as a Coleman medalist who only tallied 58 goals that season. Continually drifts in and out of games and he's no longer a young buck. Turns 27 this year so should be ripping games to shreds if he's as good as what Blues supporters say he is.

He's a gun who would have had an even higher standing in the game had he not sustained chronic knee issues. His body finally came right at 25yrs of age and hasn't looked back since.

Preached as a Coleman medalist who only tallied 58 goals that season. Continually drifts in and out of games and he's no longer a young buck. Turns 27 this year so should be ripping games to shreds if he's as good as what Blues supporters say he is.

Harry has been better than Charlie this year.

He actually works hard up the ground to provide targets.

Charlie much less so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's probably because opposition teams are happy to let him do his thing opposed to Curnow who actually flips a game on it's head.
Different talents.

Not really.

Charlie is spending too much time trying to wrestle all his opponents in some strength contest every game.

Harry is working twice as hard and giving us what we need.

It's the fact that CC won't do that that's leading to our forward line always being clogged up and him being defended by 2-3 opponents every entry.

He's not underrated anymore.

But he used to be.

Fortunately some of us could see it:
At the moment, if they were all fit & firing, I would want Curnow in the Richmond forward line (with a view to replacing Riewoldt soon).

Sad reality is we don't know how good he will be when/if he plays again.

Naughton & King brothers next. Throw a napkin.

Allen & Larkey are behind them comfortably.

Curnow v Hawkins

Say what.? Give me Tommy gun Hawkins every day of the week and twice on Sundays , won the Cats that many games , including finals and a GF off his own boot , against my beloved Pies also , :(. Curnow is an amazing athlete, Hawkins is an amazingly gifted footballer , has been for a very long time .

Was mentioned on the weekend that only Ablett Senior has won 3 Coleman medals in a row. Curnow will be in rare company if he achieves that.
I remember Josh Kennedy going for 3 in a row in 2017, was ahead by 5 leading into the last round after missing 5 games mid season, when he was playing at his absolute peak averaging over 4 goals a game. Franklin kicked 10 in the last round against Carlton... devastating.

Say what.? Give me Tommy gun Hawkins every day of the week and twice on Sundays , won the Cats that many games , including finals and a GF off his own boot , against my beloved Pies also , :(. Curnow is an amazing athlete, Hawkins is an amazingly gifted footballer , has been for a very long time .

Maybe over their career, but for 1 game at their best I don’t think so. But I agree with the point he needs prove it in finals.

Imagine an injury free Curnow in that Geelong team instead of Hawkins. Geez could of even rivalled Buddy, no joke.

Harry "only tallied 58 goals" in his Coleman year because he only played 19 games and was injured early in one against WCE. He averaged over three goals a game that season, Hawkins has never done that, Cameron and Riewoldt only once, only Buddy, Kennedy and now Curnow have consistently done it.

Harry being a poor Coleman Medallist is a myth. He would more than likely be selected as the AA CHF if picked today and has been miles better than Charlie this year. Watch the game.

Harry has been better than Charlie this year.

He actually works hard up the ground to provide targets.

Charlie much less so.

Charlie has been kicking goals because he is freakishly talented and he is bound to by weight of numbers. Not because he is working hard or because he is playing better than his opponent. He could add another goal or two to his game if he led up to the ball carrier every now and again.

Last edited:
Tom Hawkins is a better athlete than Curnow. To many injuries

Every thread by old Sweepy has to be a cringe worthy reference to Dustin Martin or an attempt to downplay current/former Geelong players. This one especially is aimed to fire the flames on the recent Geelong/Carlton supporter exchanges he has no doubt jotted down on his little notepad.

Transparent as usual.

Hawkins played against WC in 2023. He had his chance.
If he was 8 years younger, he may have kicked a dozen.

You obviously have something against Hawkins and/or Geelong. Maybe you’re just embarrassed thinking the Tigers would be better than the Cats in 2024.

It’s ok. Mother’s Day yesterday. Hopefully you found a mum to hug.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back