Is it time to allow throwing?

Should the AFL allow throwing?

• Yes

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 90.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who watched the grand final knows that throwing is allowed.

Both the doggies and swans have made a masterwork off throwing it.Makes the old "crow throw" look sloppy.

I think the rule should be amended to allow throwing, maybe as early as next year.

...but only for the Doggies ;)

Allow throwing and count it as a handball in game stats (EXCEPT for players tackled with prior opportunity, then it's still holding the ball).
OK, maybe there's no need to go that far. It should at least be a ball-up and not a free kick in non-HtB situations

Last edited:
Anyone that thinks throwing should be allowed GTFO. I hope the umps really crack down on this. And it's not hard to umpire, if both arms are moving the way the ball is going it's a throw. To handball is to punch the ball out of your hand, one hand stationary the other punching the ball. Easy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the umpires just went back to paying free kicks for the rules in a black and white fashion then we would have far less discussion about the rules.
There is way to many sub rules to the rules now, interpretation has become out of control.
They say the head is sacrosanct yet this is more head high contact now than ever in the history of the sport, but for some reason now they have decided to blame the player with the ball instead of the tackler. It is just insanity.
If they payed every high contact free kick for two weeks then the coaches will quickly work it out and teach there players what not to do.
Stop doing what the coaches want and just enforce the rules of the sport. They have just stuffed this sport with all these interpretations.

In one sense - I would like to see throwing allowed in a game of Aussie Rules football. Sometimes, the throws given in rugby to release players from a crowded, static pack situation instantly into a fluid, fast-flowing break. It happens only rarely in Aussie Rules, because the restriction on handball technique (pause for jokes) means disposal is slower. You can catch and throw a football in one motion - can't handball.

However, it would be such a radical change that over time it would change the game quite significantly, I believe. I would like to see a single game played under rules allowing throwing. But I don't want to see throwing in the regular game. And a one-off game wouldn't be effective - the players would need training in techniques, strategies etc. And that would totally change what we have now.

Unorthodox, but a very good idea. Teams are now using it as a tactic, and umpires are over-officiating little handballs to compensate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont even notice this so called throwing you guys go on about. When i watch the game on TV i cant tell if its a throw or handball and assume the umpires have got it right.(I have good eyesight) the replays tend to confirm that the umpires have got it right or inconclusive. They seem to call a throw when handballed than the other way around.

I never watched Tom Mitchell much at the Swans. Obviously I now pay more attention.

He's had a bajillion "handballs" this season, and most would be throws.

It's almost like Clarkson watched the Cats/Swans/Dogs, realised the folly of his ways, and went and got one of the best (worst?) exponents of it.

Funnily enough, he's been called for half a dozen throws this year. I've called him for another dozen - I hate it.

Handballing is a true skill (speed/dexterity/power/control) - dropping/scooping/throwing is not.

Handballing is a true skill (speed/dexterity/power/control) - dropping/scooping/throwing is not.

Exactly. I know I said I would like to see a game with throwing just the once, but obviously handballing must be retained. All games have weird skills unique to them and they are what make the game special.

It seems pretty easy to me - if the hand supposed to be supporting the ball moves in the direction of the handball and provides some of the force to the ball - it's not a legal handball. Just because your fist makes miniscule contact with the ball, doesn't make it legal.

The trouble is, the AFL have let the situation develop to where it is now - players basically scoop up the ball with one open hand and one closed. It's a clear scoop/throw - but allowed because there is a fist somewhere in the vicinity.

My solution? The day after the 2017 GF, AFL announce 'From now on, handballs will be policed properly'. Put out videos explaining the new interpretation. Do the media rounds. Answer questions. Clubs then have 6 months to adjust.

Back