Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Call it devil’s advocate

You can call it whatever you like, but it's a pretty clear-cut case of denial. And yeah I'm pretty happy with my initial assessment of it being childish, though that may have been a bit soft.

But I’m fine with us taking the local talent who was a gun mid in juniors clean with the footy and an accumulator

At the time maybe. With the benefit of hindsight, it's a clear mistake at this stage.

That can still change. But clearly, it's not looking likely.
Is only 30 games into his afl career
And has been underwhelming in most of these. It's a concern that he's not in the senior side this weekend, whether you want to believe it or not.

By the way, Logan has only played 40 odd. So unless you're going to tell me he won't improve, I'm not sure what the point you're going for here is.

Trust me I’m quick to call out our mistakes but I’m ok with this one

You say this as though you're new around these parts. Who do you think you're kidding? Other than yourself, of course.

If Nostra is bullish on this kid then he's farked sorry to say.

Pretty sure I remember reading that Nostra thought Wardlaw is a dud as well and they should have picked Tsatas o_O

Last edited:

Key forwards mature late, I think McDonald will be solid. Hope he stays in Sydney, but not tragic if he leaves.

More impressed with his running than his contested stuff at this stage.

seems like a nice young man

Thoughts on Chad Warners footwear last night brah?

The weird thing is at the time we all knew that Grainger-Barrass, McDonald and Phillips were all going to North, Hawthorn and Sydney, we just did not know who was going where and my preference in order was

1. Phillips
2. Grainger-Barrass
3. McDonald

I was really annoyed when North called Phillips name as I wanted him.

Shows why I am not a recruiter.

Call it devil’s advocate

But I’m fine with us taking the local talent who was a gun mid in juniors clean with the footy and an accumulator

Is only 30 games into his afl career

Trust me I’m quick to call out our mistakes but I’m ok with this one
No you’re not. You have an opinion straight away and refuse to acknowledge you’re wrong about anything and just stick no matter what to whatever your original opinion was.

Already some whispers about Phillips being on the outer with Clarko and they he might look for a trade....

I always thought Clarko was huge on Phillips in his draft year so that's pretty surprising to hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is huge on him, he's one of his pets, so I'm calling BS personally....

It is a bit unusual that he is favouring a potato like Lazarro over Phillips. That being said historically does have a habit of being overly infatuated with his limited foot soldiers. Howe nearly got 100 games with us.

Edit: Just realised Shiels and Tucker are still getting games. Shiels is a great guy for training standards but he shouldn't be best 22 (23) anymore.

Already some whispers about Phillips being on the outer with Clarko and they he might look for a trade....
He's probably just a bit unlucky. North haven't been very good, but one area that isn't lacking talent is our midfield. Might be more opportunities elsewhere.

The weird thing is at the time we all knew that Grainger-Barrass, McDonald and Phillips were all going to North, Hawthorn and Sydney, we just did not know who was going where and my preference in order was

1. Phillips
2. Grainger-Barrass
3. McDonald

I was really annoyed when North called Phillips name as I wanted him.

Shows why I am not a recruiter.
G Barrass is a dud as well

G Barrass is a dud as well

That whole 2020 draft is a bit of a crap shoot.

1. JUH - looks like a future star
2. Thilthorpe - Hasn't done anything yet - injured.
3. Phillips - Hasn't done anything yet - Glandular fever
4. Logan - Hasn't really done anything yet but certainly much more than most on this list. Looks a likely player
5. Campbell - Hasn't done anything yet.
6. DGB - Hasn't done anything yet - injured
7. Hollands - Hasn't done anything yet - was recovering from ACL - traded to Carlton
8. Cox - Hasn't done anything yet - not sure what position he is playing? is he a wing? CHB?
9 .Perkins - Hadn't done anything up until last week - can he back it up?
10. Reid - Hasn't done anything yet - lots of injuries
11. Pedlar - Hasn't done much yet - maybe has shown the most outside of Logan?
12. Bruhn - Hasn't done much yet - traded to Geelong. Seemed pretty bog average although had a decent game on the weekend. Looks like his tank has started to improve.
13. Powell - Hasn't done much yet - really bizarre how North picked two very similar run of the mill smallish slow midfielders.
14. Chapman - Has been good - probably the best player after JUH in the first round.

CBF going through the rest but it's a pretty sad sight. Might be one of the worst drafts in a long time but to be fair they probably just need a bit more time before writing them off. COVID really mucked them about and a lot of them have had injury concerns.

Some of the later picks seem to be turning out better.
Gulden, Holmes, McCreery, Bowie. Henry looks alright.

That whole 2020 draft is a bit of a crap shoot.

1. JUH - looks like a future star
2. Thilthorpe - Hasn't done anything yet - injured.
3. Phillips - Hasn't done anything yet - Glandular fever
4. Logan - Hasn't really done anything yet but certainly much more than most on this list. Looks a likely player
5. Campbell - Hasn't done anything yet.
6. DGB - Hasn't done anything yet - injured
7. Hollands - Hasn't done anything yet - was recovering from ACL - traded to Carlton
8. Cox - Hasn't done anything yet - not sure what position he is playing? is he a wing? CHB?
9 .Perkins - Hadn't done anything up until last week - can he back it up?
10. Reid - Hasn't done anything yet - lots of injuries
11. Pedlar - Hasn't done much yet - maybe has shown the most outside of Logan?
12. Bruhn - Hasn't done much yet - traded to Geelong. Seemed pretty bog average although had a decent game on the weekend. Looks like his tank has started to improve.
13. Powell - Hasn't done much yet - really bizarre how North picked two very similar run of the mill smallish slow midfielders.
14. Chapman - Has been good - probably the best player after JUH in the first round.

CBF going through the rest but it's a pretty sad sight. Might be one of the worst drafts in a long time but to be fair they probably just need a bit more time before writing them off. COVID really mucked them about and a lot of them have had injury concerns.

Some of the later picks seem to be turning out better.
Gulden, Holmes, McCreery, Bowie. Henry looks alright.

Might be, but in terms of top end Gulden and JUH could end up as stars.

Also a few of the players you listed there are solid best 22 players, even if they are not A grade players.

Might be, but in terms of top end Gulden and JUH could end up as stars.

Also a few of the players you listed there are solid best 22 players, even if they are not A grade players.

I'm not writing off anyone yet but even off the top of my head a lot of those players aren't even yet solidly entrenched in the best 22.

Contrast that to 2019 (looking already like one of the only drafts to hold a candle to 2021)

Rowell
Anderson
Jackson
Ash
Young
Serong
Green
Flanders
Pickett
Day
Weightman
Rivers
Coleman
Warner

Who are either already A graders or on the cusp in their respective positions.

Lots of solid citizens in Bergman, Kemp, Georgiades, Worrell, Riccardi, Close, Rojas Jr.

The likes of Nic Martin and Newcombe would have been part of this draft class as well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back