Is the MCG a big advantage on Grand Final Day for Victorians against Interstate Sides? /Are Interstaters advantaged during the home and away season?

Is the MCG a significant advantage for Victorian sides against Interstate Teams on Grand Final Day?

• Yes, It's a big advantage for the Vic Big Boys

Votes: 384 66.0%
  • No. If you're good enough you'll win no matter who you play where you play

Votes: 198 34.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

...and this is why I've said multiple times--- don't trust your #VICBIAS gut feeling on your rants and actually do some research.

Do you think people who've waited decades (10+ years for AFL members, 25+ years for MCC members) would risk losing their membership to hand their memberships over to Friends or Family on Grand Final day?

Both membership categories have strict non-transferability on their memberships and risk having their memberships suspended or cancelled if they've handed their tickets over. As a Silver AFL member (so no Grand Final access) I've very familiar with the AFL members reserve and been lucky enough to obtain corporate tickets to both the '17 & '19 Grand Finals, both those tickets being seats within the AFL members reserve.

On BOTH occasions I was asked by ticket inspectors on the day to show my ticket to verify the type of ticket it was and if I required a membership to enter the ground with that ticket.
Ssshhh, you’re spoiling the narrative

Might want to rethink that. It was not me asking the questions. I just couldn't stand the whingy reply.
. WTF. You’re one of the best sooks in your supporter base chock block full of hard By done sooks. No mean feat.
1. You concede that Richmond had a huge advantage with its crowd numbers

2. When you slept in a hotel 2 nights in a row, were you running out to play a Grand Final the next day? In front of 100,000 people? Up against an opponent who got to sleep in their own beds? Tell us, oh professional athlete, tell us about your hotel regimen that allows you to achieve phyiscal and mental excellence while staying in hotel rooms.

3. What about the fact that they get to stay in their $^%&ing homes. What about that.

4. Yeah. Because you get to play a GF in your home ground every other year. You can't complain about losing a GF at the Gabba because you must then concede that you were gifted premierships in 2017 and 2019 you obtuse acolyte
Yawn. A sour saint due to no success, sheer jealousy and I’d bet my life you live interstate. That’s almost as pathetic as being a WC sulker. 😘

So you honestly don’t see any difference at all between a H&A game with totally lopsided ticketing (eg any WC home game) and a GF where both teams fans are well represented and where both teams have quite a crazy disrupted week? even though all the research around the world shows that a one sided crowd is the overwhelming biggest factor in HGA?
actually weve just had an entire season of all sorts of sports worldwide with no crowds disprove this - the home team winning percentage has barely changed.

How do Hawthorn overcome the ‘travel’ disadvantage to still have an advantage in Tassie?
Hawthorn travel from Melbourne to Tasmania.

Non-Victorians sides have to travel from their home city to Melbourne. They then have to do the same travel from Melbourne to Tasmania that Hawthorn do. Its further disruption for them.

And travel is something that is more physically draining the more you do it.

I attended the grand final in 2018. There would’ve been a 65/35 split in terms of crowd support in favour of Collingwood. During the telecast of the 2017 grand final they even put up an estimated 70/30 split in Richmond’s favour.
You guys have just as many fans attend through club memberships and corporate packages, but then you have nearly half the stadium full of afl members and mcc members. The afl members section is saturated with local fans of the Victorian side - especially for a team like Collingwood or Richmond. There’s zero Id process with these memberships and most of them end up in the hands of friends or family who are fans of the local side.
Walk ins account for half the mcc portion of the crowd. Who’s going to line up to watch Collingwood win a flag do you reckon?
Then you’ve got the mcc reserved section. Depending on how many Victorian clubs make the prelims you could expect anywhere from 20% or more local fans booking a seat.
Overall it’s still heavily one sided and any bit of extra support from neutrals adds not much more than a golf clap. Don’t pretend it’s a even split
MCC members can't book a seat that late. The ballot is before finals even start

...and this is why I've said multiple times--- don't trust your #VICBIAS gut feeling on your rants and actually do some research.

Do you think people who've waited decades (10+ years for AFL members, 25+ years for MCC members) would risk losing their membership to hand their memberships over to Friends or Family on Grand Final day?

Both membership categories have strict non-transferability on their memberships and risk having their memberships suspended or cancelled if they've handed their tickets over. As a Silver AFL member (so no Grand Final access) I've very familiar with the AFL members reserve and been lucky enough to obtain corporate tickets to both the '17 & '19 Grand Finals, both those tickets being seats within the AFL members reserve.

On BOTH occasions I was asked by ticket inspectors on the day to show my ticket to verify the type of ticket it was and if I required a membership to enter the ground with that ticket.
Just had a gander at the 2019 grand final ticket sales thread on your board. Looks like quite a few posters were gaining access through mates/ relatives of AFL Gold members. So prevalent that some posters were concerned the practice was creating a ‘culture’ of gold members buying tickets for their mates, resulting in silver members missing out.

Maybe they should upgrade to photo Id to get on top of it

Non-Victorians sides have to travel from their home city to Melbourne. They then have to do the same travel from Melbourne to Tasmania that Hawthorn do. Its further disruption for them.

Not this old chestnut.
There are direct flights to Launceston for all teams!
A couple of years back in one thread I even linked to a flight database website which showed both the Perth teams had been getting direct flights to Launceston since 2005.

We were 6 and 5 away from the g.
Add another 10 home games with pure home ground advantage like West Coast has and I’m sure the Coasters would have made finals Kranky.

If we take every game we played at home in 2018 - a premiership season

And marry that with richmonds away from the mcg record in 2017 a premiership season- ie they beat the bottom 5 and port.

So we still get every home win we had that year - but our away games are at richmonds level - we win 11 games for the year and come 13th - we might scrape in the 8 only to be bundled out week one.

we won 7/10 at optus that year 2/2 vs freo for 9 alltogether at optus.

This myth that we get a leg up because of home ground advantage would only work if we played 16 games there - we dont

and the entire Victorian concept that we win automatically at optus because of hga is not only asinine - but would also mean by the same logic we automatically lose every game away.

Yeah those NBA basketballers must be near dead at the end of their season, no wonder they only last a year or 2 in the sport.

Just had a gander at the 2019 grand final ticket sales thread on your board. Looks like quite a few posters were gaining access through mates/ relatives of AFL Gold members. So prevalent that some posters were concerned the practice was creating a ‘culture’ of gold members buying tickets for their mates, resulting in silver members missing out.

Maybe they should upgrade to photo Id to get on top of it

Didn't you initially claim that MCC members did it as well (a membership which DOES have photo ID)?

..and now it's JUST the AFL membership that did it :rolleyes:

So instead of 42k of the crowd potentially defrauding, it's now 21k of the crowd doing it---- take away the approx 7.5k seats that went to AFL life members (players) and corporates and that's 13k seats available for AFL members. There's approx. 7k AFL Gold members with Richmond Club support. That leaves about 6k seats that MAY get transferred (and have the risk of being caught by ticket authorities and have memberships suspended).

Even with those 6k that's still only 6% of the audience-- not really enough to create the 70-30% split that you've been ranting about.

Are we going to play in numbers here or have a "gut feel" again?

If we take every game we played at home in 2018 - a premiership season

And marry that with richmonds away from the mcg record in 2017 a premiership season- ie they beat the bottom 5 and port.

So we still get every home win we had that year - but our away games are at richmonds level - we win 11 games for the year and come 13th - we might scrape in the 8 only to be bundled out week one.

we won 7/10 at optus that year 2/2 vs freo for 9 alltogether at optus.

This myth that we get a leg up because of home ground advantage would only work if we played 16 games there - we dont

and the entire Victorian concept that we win automatically at optus because of hga is not only asinine - but would also mean by the same logic we automatically lose every game away.
Why are you bringing 2018 into the argument now? Your contention was that an interstate side couldn’t make finals on richmonds away from MCG record in 2017.
It was 6-5 away, so all they would have to do is win 6 of the ten pure home games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF?

if Adelaide play in Tassie they fly direct from Adelaide to Tassie!?

AFL has been putting direct flights from Perth to Tassie also for a decade.

So if Hawthorn play Port in Tassie, both teams have a short flight. Both teams sleep in hotels. Both teams have their ‘regular routine’ interrupted. Both teams aren’t playing at their regular home ground.

Surely if travel and sleeping in a hotel is the big bad bogeyman that the non-vic teams make out, Hawthorn are ******* themselves over by playing 4 games in Tassie.

Perhaps travel really isn’t that big an issue, especially considering it is a MAXIMUM of 10 trips spread out over 5-6 months

Why are you bringing 2018 into the argument now? Your contention was that an interstate side couldn’t make finals on richmonds away from MCG record in 2017.
It was 6-5 away, so all they would have to do is win 6 of the ten pure home games.
i bring 2018 into it because we finished second and won a flag. so its an excellent year for us.

but if we had richmonds away record - we would have won 12 games and we wouldnt have even made finals.

Last edited:
i bring 2018 into it because we finished second and won a flag. so its an excellent year for us.

but if we had richmonds away record - we would have won 11 games and we wouldnt have even made finals.

Richmonds 2017 away record in home & away was 2 losses 4 wins right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 w 3 l against teams flying in

2 wins against the purples.
So 9 wins from 12 on your home deck.
Take Richmonds 2017 record away from the G (I’m not sure why you are so fixated on this tbh) and it gets you to 15 wins. Not sure your claim that you wouldn’t make finals that year really stacks up.

Or non Vic teams would struggle to make finals with a 6-5 non home deck standing. They just need a similar record at home to make it.

Swings and roundabouts.
In 2018 Tigers finished top and didn't get any home ground advantage in their finals, plus a derby prelim to boot whilst Eagles had a cushy home prelim

Cost them the flag IMO.
Yep minor premier Tigers played the Pies, the 3rd placed H&A team, at the Pies home ground in a PF.

Meanwhile Eagles enjoyed a PF against the 5th places H&A team with a full home ground advantage!

Eagles given a leg-up again.

Richmonds 2017 away record in home & away was 2 losses 4 wins right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
you beat the bottom five and port away from the mcg.

heres the ladder and the teams richmond beat for reference;

Richmond ladder who they beat

Adelaide
Geelong
Richmond
GWS
Port adelaide ***
Sydney
Essendon
West coast

Melbourne
Western bulldogs
St kilda
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Fremantle ***

Bottom 4

North ***
Carlton ***
Gold coast ***
Brisbane ***

Yep minor premier Tigers played the Pies, the 3rd placed H&A team, at the Pies home ground in a PF.

Meanwhile Eagles enjoyed a PF against the 5th places H&A team with a full home ground advantage!

Eagles given a leg-up again.
Where was that leg up on grand final day?

guess some of us don’t need it to beat Collingwood

So 9 wins from 12 on your home deck.
Take Richmonds 2017 record away from the G (I’m not sure why you are so fixated on this tbh) and it gets you to 15 wins. Not sure your claim that you wouldn’t make finals that year really stacks up.

Or non Vic teams would struggle to make finals with a 6-5 non home deck standing. They just need a similar record at home to make it.
you are incorrect - heres the eagles 2018 season adjusted for beating only the bottom 5 and port away:

BD7A32B7-AE13-4AE9-86D9-A9D74F10786A.jpeg D6A88FED-4A38-4A5A-980B-B0AD790D5EA3.jpeg

the reason i use our 2018 season is its a great year for us - weve played well, finished high and won a flag

the reason i use your 2017 is the same reason

but if we had your away from the mcg record in 2018 we wouldnt gave even played finals.

this is where your assertion that we just have to win at home falls apart. we only play 12 games there.

if winning at home against fly ins were so easy the dockers would be up there every year.

Last edited:
Back