Is there anything stopping us...

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by corporal
who was the last top 20 star player that the Swans picked up? None seem to come to mind but I'm sure the swans must have a swathe of them.

Sometimes it doesnt have to be a top 20 pick to be a star Adam Goodes was taken with pick 43, but with the majority of your picks being so late I doubt youll get a steal like Sydney did with Adam.

Originally posted by Cheer Red Blood
Sometimes it doesnt have to be a top 20 pick to be a star Adam Goodes was taken with pick 43, but with the majority of your picks being so late I doubt youll get a steal like Sydney did with Adam.

As well as Adam Goodes, Simon Black and Mark Coughlan were also taken with 20+ picks. Not bad value there!

Originally posted by bloodsports
Yes, I see and admire your faith in your clubs officials, but 5 picks after pick 67 ??
Havn't you guys been whatching the patterns in the AFL since the draft came into being ?? Teams who trade away early picks without leaving room for the pick up of good middle picks never do well. IE they might make the finals one or two years, but you do not build a premeirship side by trading away your early picks - especially when you are at least 2-3 star players away from competing with the top teams.

You guys should be really p i ssed of with your club. I know I would be if the Swans were so crazy.

You should be pretty pi ssed off then! Your argument would suggest that the Swans have some pain ahead.

Have a look in your own backyard before you have a rant about our recruitment policies. Lets see...............

Swans trade their 1st round pick (No.11 Darren Glass) and 3rd round pick (No.41 Kane Munro) for Jason Ball.

Swans AGAIN trade their 1st round pick (No.8 Daniel Motlop) and 3rd round pick (No.39 Adam McPhee) for Paul Williams.

Swans AGAIN trade picks 13 (Nick DalSanto), 17 (James Kelly) and 45 (Nathan Clarke) for Barry Hall and pick 53.
Also trade Greg Stafford for Nick Daffy and pick 17 (ontraded to St Kilda for Hall). :D

Swans FINALLY hold on to their 1st round pick and draft Jarrad McVeigh.
Instead they trade their second round pick (No.21 Bo Nixon) for Nick Davis.

So what have the Swans done with their good middle picks?

1999 Scott Stevens (pick 21), Stephen Doyle (pick 26), RYAN O'KEEFE (pick 56) and Brett Allison (pick 70).
2000 Luke Ablett (pick 24), Amon Buchanan (pick 52), and Jarrad Sundqvist (pick 54).
2001 Mark Powell (pick 28), Lewis Roberts-Thomson (pick 29), ADAM SNEIDER (pick 60), and Ricky Mott (pick 74).
2002 Jarrad McVeigh (Pick 5), Sean Depster (pick 34), Josh Thewlis (pick 50), and Nick Malceski (pick 64).

Sneider and O'Keefe are the pick of the bunch and they were picked up pretty late. Most are still on your list though which is a good sign. Richmond have also recently done OK later in the draft picking up Newman and Zantuck.

FWIW Tadhg Kennelly and Brett Kirk were both Rookies. I really want to see some kids on our Rookie List next season, not recycled players.

Richmond's picks aren't disimilar. Lets just wait and see who we get before we all start jumping off tall buildings.

Just in case I'll be steering well clear of sharp instruments on Draft Day. :D

just to clarify the deal once and for all:

Richmond gave Sydney Pick 17 and Nick Daffy in exchange for Greg Stafford

The swans were happy just to take the pick, but Daffy was thrown in as a sweetener and to assist the tiges with their salary cap issues

Look,
I am not saying that Sydney have had any great drafting record. On the contrarey, we are possibley as bad as you guys, but if the Swans were picking up 5 players for their senior list after pick 67, I would be very upset.
In fact I am already upset that the swans were not able to do a deal for a higher draft pick in the drade period.
Any way i now think it is pretty dubious that we will get Hall, anyway.

Tigers won't re-draft Hall

Stevens may train with Blues
By Stephen Rielly
November 18, 2003

Meanwhile, Richmond has said it will not contemplate recruiting Ray Hall back to the club in the pre-season draft if he chooses to leave Punt Road.

Hall and the Tigers appeared to be no closer to a rapprochement yesterday, a stand-off complicated by a one-year offer from Richmond, a two-year contract demand from Hall and a three-year offer from Sydney.

After being offered around by the Tigers during the trade period last month, Hall sought out the Swans, who have continued to woo him despite holding a late first-round pick in the pre-season draft.

The Tigers have been trying to make their peace with him and as recently as last week suggested that they might re-draft him if he decided to leave. Geelong, one of the clubs Richmond tried to trade Hall to, also has a pick before Sydney.

Yesterday, though, Richmond football manager Greg Hutchison removed the Tigers from Hall's path to Sydney and his home state of New South Wales in the likely event that he chose to make his exit.

"We'd like to think we can have it all wrapped up in the next 24 hours - one way or the other - so that we can all move on, hopefully together," Hutchison said. "But if Ray decides he's not going to play for us, we won't contemplate picking him in the pre-season draft. It doesn't make sense."

Hutchison said Richmond, which is waiting on an answer from Brisbane's Robert Copeland, needed to be convinced that a further offer to Hall would be in "the interests of all concerned".

The Tigers brought Copeland and his wife to Melbourne late last week.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/17/1069027047938.html

Thanks Crumden.

I wonder how the launch of the new "juice bar" will go today. The next four weeks are going to be bloody interesting. I thought all the wheeling and dealing would pretty much finish after the trade period... it's got better!

We're still waiting on bated breath for a heap of players (ie. Copeland, Morrison, Hall, Betharas, Motlop, etc.). Very interesting!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back