CJH

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2000
Belgrave
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
...from playing hardball with Ray Hall and telling him that we will just pick him up again in the PSD?

The Bulldogs have committed to Rawlings and Carlton should get Stevens... we only have to take the punt that Melbourne won't select Hall.

If Hall see's it's inevitable that he will end up back here, he may just sign anyway!

I can't think of any names off the top of my head, but I'm sure players have been redrafted by their own club in the PSD (though not after walking out).. We would have to pay him whatever he nominated though.

Why do we have to waste our 1st psd draft pick on him?Isn't he already a Richmond player who just needs to be resigned?Surely we can come to an amicable solution.He s more likely to get games in the 1st for us than Sydney I'd say.I can understand his feelings are hurt but he ll live.I seem to remember at one stage a few years ago we were shopping Campbell around,a much more more capable player.

I don't think that CJH is necessarily saying that we should actually use our first PSD pick on Hall. I believe he is just saying that we could use the possibility of doing so as a bargaining tool.

Would I be right, CJ ?

And anyway, who'd want a player on the list that despises the club.
eg. David Williams !!

Assuming it was possible to redraft him, would only do so if there was nothing better to choose from. Don't want players playing at the club if they'd prefer to be elsewhere.

Originally posted by GhostofJimJess
I don't think that CJH is necessarily saying that we should actually use our first PSD pick on Hall. I believe he is just saying that we could use the possibility of doing so as a bargaining tool.

Would I be right, CJ ?

Correct!

What would be the best possible outcome for us was if Hall decided to stay AND we used our first pick in the PSD. What we must do is use the situation to gain whatever leverage we can in order to achieve our objective. And if this is done by playing hardball, then so be it!

Unfortunatley for you Richmond supporters,
1. Ray Hall is a NSW boy and wants to come home to play for the mighty Swans.
2. Your list has been so mismanaged, that you are looking at another 6 years at least in the AFL wilderness.
I think it is time you guys had a spill at board level, get rid of a few of the turkeys running your club, including Rex Hunt, and make up with Kevin Bartlett, so you can get him back into the club and get someone with real Know how running your club. Otherwise it will be a long and bitter road for you to the very bottom of the ladder. :(

well it's not that I mean you any harm or even hope that Sydney get Ray Hall , (cos I am not sure he is worth it yet), but it is just that I really think that you Richmond fans have to get your footy club back cos surley it is obvious to you too that the policeys arn't working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by bloodsports

... get rid of a few of the turkeys running your club, including Rex Hunt, and make up with Kevin Bartlett, so you can get him back into the club ...

Rex Hunt is not on the board and is not employed by the club in any capacity. He is only a proud supporter and former player.

As a club, we are quite prepared to make up with KB. The olive branch has been extended for many years now. In reality, it is up to KB to accept this olive branch; there is little we can do until he does.

As for people running our club, Greg Miller and Ian Campbell have been there only relatively short amounts of time and we are prepared to give them sufficient space to do their jobs. So far, of what we have seen with Miller, we have been pleased with. It will be at least another 2 years before his impact is fully felt.

What has often been neglected in analysis of our recent poor showings is the fact that we have been decimated through injury. After the end of the season, The Age published the 2003 injury ladder which had us listed stone motherless last - the club worst affected by injury this season.

Give us a reasonable run with injuries and we will be a much better proposition.

Unfortunatley for you Richmond supporters,
1. Ray Hall is a NSW boy and wants to come home to play for the mighty Swans.

And another thing...

Sydney have pick 13 in the PSD and Geelong have already indicated that they will take him before hand. The chances of Hall getting to Sydney this year are slim. Maybe it would be in his better interests to take a 1 year contract with Richmond with a view of being traded at the end of 2004?

Originally posted by CJH
Rex Hunt is not on the board and is not employed by the club in any capacity. He is only a proud supporter and former player.

As a club, we are quite prepared to make up with KB. The olive branch has been extended for many years now. In reality, it is up to KB to accept this olive branch; there is little we can do until he does.

As for people running our club, Greg Miller and Ian Campbell have been there only relatively short amounts of time and we are prepared to give them sufficient space to do their jobs. So far, of what we have seen with Miller, we have been pleased with. It will be at least another 2 years before his impact is fully felt.

What has often been neglected in analysis of our recent poor showings is the fact that we have been decimated through injury. After the end of the season, The Age published the 2003 injury ladder which had us listed stone motherless last - the club worst affected by injury this season.

Give us a reasonable run with injuries and we will be a much better proposition.

Yes, I see and admire your faith in your clubs officials, but 5 picks after pick 67 ??
Havn't you guys been whatching the patterns in the AFL since the draft came into being ?? Teams who trade away early picks without leaving room for the pick up of good middle picks never do well. IE they might make the finals one or two years, but you do not build a premeirship side by trading away your early picks - especially when you are at least 2-3 star players away from competing with the top teams.
I noticed that you refered to Greg Millers and Ian Campbells inexperiaence in the job. This may well be informative, because for a while there a number of teams were trading away their early picks for established players (the Swans included) , but the excepted wisdome now is that it doesn't work. And with 5 picks after pick 67 I would say you guys either hope that your administration knows somthing that nobody elese does, or start prying really hard, or get rid of your administration, or all three - because even if they do know somthing, which is very doubtfull, they still are incompetant for leaving themselves so under exposed to the talent in this years draft.
You guys should be really p i ssed of with your club. I know I would be if the Swans were so crazy.

well it's not that I mean you any harm or even hope that Sydney get Ray Hall , (cos I am not sure he is worth it yet), but it is just that I really think that you Richmond fans have to get your footy club back cos surley it is obvious to you too that the policeys arn't working.

We have already adopted some of the Swans policeys (sic) such as recruiting name players from other clubs. Hopefully we will have more success with these policeys (sic) than the Swans have had.

Yes, I see and admire your faith in your clubs officials, but 5 picks after pick 67 ??
Havn't you guys been whatching the patterns in the AFL since the draft came into being ?? Teams who trade away early picks without leaving room for the pick up of good middle picks never do well. IE they might make the finals one or two years, but you do not build a premeirship side by trading away your early picks - especially when you are at least 2-3 star players away from competing with the top teams.
I noticed that you refered to Greg Millers and Ian Campbells inexperiaence in the job. This may well be informative, because for a while there a number of teams were trading away their early picks for established players (the Swans included) , but the excepted wisdome now is that it doesn't work. And with 5 picks after pick 67 I would say you guys either hope that your administration knows somthing that nobody elese does, or start prying really hard, or get rid of your administration, or all three - because even if they do know somthing, which is very doubtfull, they still are incompetant for leaving themselves so under exposed to the talent in this years draft.
You guys should be really p i ssed of with your club. I know I would be if the Swans were so crazy.

5 picks after 67 as you say is because the club have cleared out a lot of dead wood this season. And your knowledge of footy things must be low if you think we will use all these picks in the draft.

I noticed that you refered to Greg Millers and Ian Campbells inexperiaence in the job. .
He didn't say they were inexperienced, he said they had been in the job a short while. There is a big difference. From memory, Miller's experience goes back many years to when he traded a basket of beads and trinkets to Sydney for a couple of young players named Carey and Longmire.

Yes well either way, you guy's need to get control of your club fast because it seems to me and to most, that you are going down hill fast. I think it's a real pity after you seemed to have so much promise with Richo and oatens. But Richo's got a couple of question marks over him, not least his attitude, and Oatens back my well be shot..... oh well at least youll have plenty of low draft picks comming into the club next year. So that in the years to come they can face the ferocity of the likes of Stkildas you list or Fremantles.
I mean **** I wasn't trying to have a go at ya, and Greg miller may well be a smart cookie b ut isn't it obvious that you as supporters have continually been let down by the di ck heads at your club ??

but the excepted wisdome now is that it doesn't work. And with 5 picks after pick 67 I would say you guys either hope that your administration knows somthing that nobody elese does

Refresh my memory If you will 'o knowledgable "bloodsports",
Considering the Swans obviously are fantastic at picking up top 20 youth in the draft and don't trade their early draft picks,

who was the last top 20 star player that the Swans picked up? None seem to come to mind but I'm sure the swans must have a swathe of them.

That all depends on how you look at it. We have effectively traded away our first pick (#6) for Nathan Brown. Is Nathan Brown worth pick 6? He probably has 6 - 7 years of football left in him as opposed to 10-12 for a top rated 18 year old. That is the downside.

The upside is that he is as close to a sure thing as you get with a recruit. There is no doubting that he is very talented - at least as talented as any of the players touted as top 10 in this years draft.

The thing about the top 10 draft players is that not all of them will be good enough. That is a chance you take, as clubs have found out with the likes of Danny Roach (Collingwood), Kayne Pettifer (Richmond) and Daniel McAllister (Essendon) to name a few off the top of my head.

We still have our 2nd round pick intact and have opted to use our 3rd round pick on Tom Roach. All picks thereafter are also still intact.

Your assertion that we have trade away our picks is misleading - the only semblance of truth in it comes from us trading pick 6 for Brown. Arguably a fair trade.

I did not call them inexperienced. I said they 'have been there only relatively short amounts of time'. Their arrival in itself is not going to have an immediate impact.

Miller's primary job is to improve our list. Of the 2003 list, probably only 15 of those players are legitimately capable of playing at the required level for a senior player. That means there were 21 who weren't. It is going to take time to turn these players over. As it is, we have been more aggressive than anyone else in getting rid of players this year.

What also must be considered is that most teams have a core of 'star' players (say 5 - 6) which are supported by the remaining 'good ordinary players'. This applies to teams such as Brisbane as well as the Western Bulldogs (although they are a little lighter on for stars next year :D)

What we have to do is add to the list of players ranked 15 - 25. This is were we are deficient and this is what we will be targeting.

Also consider that we have been fairly active in drafting kids over the previous 4 - 5 years and still have a fairly young list.

Ian Campbell has no involvement with the on-field activities. As CEO, he is more involved in administrative functions such as membership, marketing and finance. Now he has made good things happen so far - lucrative sponsorhip deals with Motorola and Dirty Dog - but we will not have any indication on how successful he will be until he has more time to make his changes.

Originally posted by corporal

who was the last top 20 star player that the Swans picked up? None seem to come to mind but I'm sure the swans must have a swathe of them.

Darren Gaspar was taken by the Swans with pick #1! Also, I think Anfony Rocca was taken with pick #2!

(On the plus side, I think Fosdike and Saddington were first round selections that go OK)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back