Isaac Heeney vs Christian Petracca

Who is/will be the better player?

• Isaac Heeney

Votes: 178 53.5%
  • Christian Petracca

Votes: 155 46.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I'd like to agree, Petracca and Heeney were pretty comparable before this season. Heeney's highs were better but that wasn't the norm. Petracca exploding means that right now he wins. Hopefully when Heeney gets back he takes a leaf from his book.

its probably right, ive always liked petracca, like i said i have a massive bias to heeney so hard to be impartial

petracca has had a fanastic 6 games this season, still not better than heeney imo

but yep im one eyed
Heeney has never really been better than Petracca. Both have huge talent but only medium output.

Petracca now has moved his performance to top level while Heeney hasn’t.

Petracca has had the better 2020, but before that I'd have given it to Heeney. Given the weirdness of this year effecting players and teams differently with a lot of strange breakout teams and players and others out of form, its a hard year to make a categorical statement.

Probably the Heeney long term injury means he will struggle over the preseason and Petracca is likely to get a bit further ahead though.

Petracca has had the better 2020, but before that I'd have given it to Heeney. Given the weirdness of this year effecting players and teams differently with a lot of strange breakout teams and players and others out of form, its a hard year to make a categorical statement.

Probably the Heeney long term injury means he will struggle over the preseason and Petracca is likely to get a bit further ahead though.
I think you can make the case Trac went past Heeney last year or at worst was on the same level.

Very similar stats in disposals, goals, inside 50's' goal assists, clearances, score involvements. People really slept on Trac last year because of how terrible the Dees were.

I think you can make the case Trac went past Heeney last year or at worst was on the same level.

Very similar stats in disposals, goals, inside 50's' goal assists, clearances, score involvements. People really slept on Trac last year because of how terrible the Dees were.
Trac did not go past or even get to Henneys level last year. Heeney was better without doubt.

Trac did not go past or even get to Henneys level last year. Heeney was better without doubt.

Yes i saw them... What are you trying to show me?

Heeney slightly ahead in disposals, goals

Petracca slightly ahead in goal assists, score involvements, inside 50's

They are dead even in clearances

They were very similar to each other last year.

Call me biased but I think Petracca has this one for now, and at the level he's performing - quite comfortably. I get that it's a weird season with truncated games, but his fitness and ability to play through the middle for longer periods and run out games has dramatically improved...you could just tell during preseason that he was primed to properly breakout. His burst from stoppages and creative use of the ball has been absolutely brilliant. I might be crazy but if he could fix up his set shot kicking and keep going with this trajectory, he could arguably have grounds for being the best mid in the league in the near future (I love Lachie Neale though, he's just week in week out an absolute jet that you can set your watch to).

Admittedly, I haven't followed Heeney's progress of late nearly as keenly, but he's an outstanding player and talent and I'm sure he'll continue to make this a really close debate over the next few years. Fingers crossed he's back to his best (and continues to add levels to his game) post injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise we were talking about 2019, not 2020?

Yep, Petracca actually had a very good season in 2019.

But to use footywire as proof of an argument about who was the better player is hilarious, it's the typical 'x player had more possessions so he is better than y' crap you see all the time on bf. It's a lazy argument

Yep, Petracca actually had a very good season in 2019.

But to use footywire as proof of an argument about who was the better player is hilarious, it's the typical 'x player had more possessions so he is better than y' crap you see all the time on bf. It's a lazy argument
Well I didn’t want to have to spend the time when it seems obvious that the guy who has more touches, more goals, more marks, more tackles, and the same amount of clearances as someone else might have been better.

but because you asked. Last year:

Heeney - 6 brownlow votes. Petracca 0
Heeney - 19 Total coaches votes in 5 games, Petracca 1 Total vote in 1 game.

but sure, you provide some evidence to the contrary.

Well I didn’t want to have to spend the time when it seems obvious that the guy who has more touches, more goals, more marks, more tackles, and the same amount of clearances as someone else might have been better.

but because you asked. Last year:

Heeney - 6 brownlow votes. Petracca 0
Heeney - 19 Total coaches votes in 5 games, Petracca 1 Total vote in 1 game.

but sure, you provide some evidence to the contrary.

Brayshaw once came third in the brownlow so going by your logic he must have been the third best player in the comp that year

Actually champ, my original post contested the 'without doubt' comment, but if you get angry at other people stating their opinions then BF probably isn't for you
Without doubt.
every metric points out Heeney was better. You knocked Footywire direct stats. I provided Brownlow and AFLCA votes. You have provided nothing to support your “opinion”.

Without doubt.
every metric points out Heeney was better. You knocked Footywire direct stats. I provided Brownlow and AFLCA votes. You have provided nothing to support your “opinion”.

You threw a tantrum when i pointed out that Brownlow votes are meaningless, which i thought was hilarious.

but i actually don't need to provide you any facts at all, all you need to do is have a nice hot cup of tea and calm down :)

Without doubt.
Votes are a pretty week argument as well. Already stated above Brayshaw finished 3rd in the Brownlow in 2018, do you think he was without doubt better than Martin, Cripps, Fyfe and Dangerfield that season?

last year Melbourne finished 17th with a percentage of 78%. Not too many players get votes when their team gets blown out most weeks. Heeney plsyed in a team that won more games and had a percentage of 97%. More opportunity for votes.

Petracca had a very good year last year. You would know if you watched.

Last edited:
Petracca has been dominating as a midfielder and would be one of the favourites for the Chaz if Melbourne had won a few more games; he's legitimately one of the best players in the comp right now. The jury is still out on whether Heeney can even play as a fulltime mid, let alone dominate as one.

Petracca has been dominating as a midfielder and would be one of the favourites for the Chaz if Melbourne had won a few more games; he's legitimately one of the best players in the comp right now. The jury is still out on whether Heeney can even play as a fulltime mid, let alone dominate as one.
He’s currently the second favourite

Back