It's not that bad

Remove this Banner Ad

They are not delisting Dow or Banks.

I’m not sure why Dow is the whipping boy. He’s a small bodied midfielder playing in a crud team with barely a big body around him. He shows enough most weeks for me to be confident he will continue to improve and become a quality player.

If most people had their way Hugo would be gone. Miller would be gone. Ross would be gone. MRJ would be gone. (I’ll admit I’d lost hope with MRJ before this year).

We just have to give these guys 50+ games before consigning them to the scrap heap. Whatever they are producing now, will be vastly inferior to what they’ll be producing when more seasoned players and 50 games under their belts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dow is just not built nor equipped for it... has never really excelled at any level, no x factor, is small, slight, slow, a bad kick, just ok handball, avg tank, avg at best overhead, no mongrel, no goals, not a ball magnet, nothing implying leadership qualities... and this is after lots of improvement at VFL level... but just not going to happen in modern day AFL as a mid. We don't need a guy who maybe looks ok when surrounded by good big bodied mids (who are playing well) or at VFL level.. we need good, explosive and/or big bodied mids who are playing well! Ed Richards and Treloar should have been paid extra for hosting Auskick. Ed Richards and Treloar!!? not exactly monsters. all that opportunity... and did nada (again)

Several on the list I have hopes for... Dow, nup.

Dow is just not built nor equipped for it... has never really excelled at any level, no x factor, is small, slight, slow, a bad kick, just ok handball, avg tank, avg at best overhead, no mongrel, no goals, not a ball magnet, nothing implying leadership qualities... and this is after lots of improvement at VFL level... but just not going to happen in modern day AFL as a mid. We don't need a guy who maybe looks ok when surrounded by good big bodied mids (who are playing well) or at VFL level.. we need good, explosive and/or big bodied mids who are playing well! Ed Richards and Treloar should have been paid extra for hosting Auskick. Ed Richards and Treloar!!? not exactly monsters. all that opportunity... and did nada (again)

Excellent summary.

Define ‘nada’ for a guy playing in his 26th game?

19 disposals (5th most for Tigers)
9 contested (3rd most)
4 clearances (2nd most)

Only 2 turnovers and 1 clanger.

73% game time.

He’s played in 5 wins and 19 losses… it’s bloody tough making your way as a midfielder in a sh*te side.

Anyway, only time will tell. But when Richmond drafted him they said it would be a few years before he came through and I think he will make the grade.

I know it’s a bit simplistic. but it’s the gap in age between the players we get in the next 2 drafts and the current A graders who are 26 and above (that we can keep). By the time the players from the next 2 drafts hit their peak the current older good ones are past theirs. That’s why it could take 7 plus years
timing is where its at, I'm up for a full rebuild. we missed the window to contend again, nothing much left of our premiership team.

Updated my list

Retirements
Dusty Grimes Pickett kmac Prestia

Trades
Short Baker

Delistings
Dow Naismith Colina

I would like kosi to go, but we gave him three years
Cumberland on thin ice
Banks on thin ice, but will survive with so many retirements
Finally you've come around to keeping Jack Graham, starting to see the light eh.... or have you dispatched with him by other means.

Finally you've come around to keeping Jack Graham, starting to see the light eh.... or have you dispatched with him by other means.
I forgot about him. lol

Updated my list

Retirements

Trades
Short Baker JGTI

Delistings
Dow Naismith Colina

Cumberland on thin ice

The problem with the premiership players that are left (11 played vs the Bulldogs) is that they always were or now are role players.

Cotchin Reiwoldt Rance Houli etc were all fundamental to our success. Absolute A Graders.

Martin has gone backwards.

Our 2019/20 best 23 is so far ahead for match winners and bottom end talent than our best 23 in 2024 list even when fully fit, it's not funny.

The problem with the premiership players that are left (11 played vs the Bulldogs) is that they always were or now are role players.

Cotchin Reiwoldt Rance Houli etc were all fundamental to our success. Absolute A Graders.

Our 2019/20 best 23 is so far ahead for match winners and bottom end talent than our best 23 in 2024 list even when fully fit, it's not funny.

Club fell apart once Castagna retired.

I forgot about him. lol

Updated my list

Retirements

Trades
Short Baker JGTI

Delistings
Dow Naismith Colina

Cumberland on thin ice
I pretty much agree with all of this. Maybe keep Dow though for another year or 2. And I reckon taking 11 players in the draft and free agency is about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pretty much agree with all of this. Maybe keep Dow though for another year or 2. And I reckon taking 11 players in the draft and free agency is about right.
It shows you how bad our list after all those trades and retirements that Dow may survive and Kosi floating around for two more seasons. The Irish cricket team bats deeper than us. lol

Last edited:

Yes but we are not in the Premiership window, there's an understatement.

We are rebuilding, but with a full list we still have a middling list. We do need star power for sure, but it can be done with astute recruiting (see 2016) and a few good low draft pics. Gibcus back will be one of those stars with some luck, 2024 draft another with our lowest draft number since those players you mention.

Define ‘nada’ for a guy playing in his 26th game?

19 disposals (5th most for Tigers)
9 contested (3rd most)
4 clearances (2nd most)

Only 2 turnovers and 1 clanger.

73% game time.

He’s played in 5 wins and 19 losses… it’s bloody tough making your way as a midfielder in a sh*te side.

Anyway, only time will tell. But when Richmond drafted him they said it would be a few years before he came through and I think he will make the grade.

he had 3 kicks 10 minutes into the last qtr and his direct opponents were best on ground by then. he got a few cheap ones in junk time. 1 tackle! 7 kicks and 12 handballs with stuff all effect... and was destroyed by his opposing mids.
maybe not nada... but he sucked...and yeah its bloody tough making your way as a midfielder when you are not big enough, not quick enough, not skilled enough... and yeah also not experienced.
Anyway.... agree to disagree... but I hate looking forward to watching the game and then realising its another week of Dow getting monstered.

We're not contending for flags any time soon, but we're a long way from falling back into the abyss. There's some young talent, and there are premiership players with years of good service still to come. Here's a look at how the list would look next season if all the players 30+ and out of contract retired or moved on (Martin, Grimes, Prestia, Pickett, McIntosh, Naismith) and every other out of contract player was re-signed.

View attachment 1988850

The players with *** are out of contract at the end of the year. A few are likely to be delisted.

It's not a terrible list by any means, it's just chronically injured.

Our current draft hand, based on the current ladder: 2, 22, 30, 40, 41, 48, 58, 67, 69. That equates to 5422 points, more than any other team except the Suns.

We don't need or want a major rebuild from here. We want to pass on the culture of the premiership group to the next generation. Keeping Baker is a huge part of that. Keeping Bolton less so, and if he's keen to move, that's one deal I would facilitate. Very good player on a great team, but potentially toxic in our current situation.
I'm going to take your optimism a step further and say we will be playing finals next year.

People forget Collingwood finished 17th in 2021 before they were a kick away from a grand final and won a premiership in the two consecutive years.

Our list isn't bad, it's just injured. If we get another good year or two out of Vlastuin, Broad, Lynch, Nank, Martin*, Prestia*, and Grimes*, then our healthy list is competitive. (* means we don't need them to be the stars they've been, just good performers).

Our off-season could have us retaining our key players whilst bringing in two additional best 22 players (eg. Could be out of a top four pick, a free agent, a good/lucky msd/draft/rookie/ssp selection).

I think people are underestimating the quality of our list, the impact of our injuries, and the potential list additions.

This call is going to seem a lot less ridiculous come the end of the season when we've won a few games, have more players on the park and have a bit more optimism.

Our list isn't bad, it's just injured. If we get another good year or two out of Vlastuin, Broad, Lynch, Nank, Martin*, Prestia*, and Grimes*, then our healthy list is competitive. (* means we don't need them to be the stars they've been, just good performers).
Broad, Martin, Prestia and Grimes won't be at the club next year. Broad possibly 1 more year or might get traded. The rest are well and truly cooked. Char grilled. Done diddly-un.

If they somehow get another year as a contract I'll spew because it will be the wrong list decision.

Nank is a battler but agree - ok performer. I'd say Lynch is less than 50% likely to play more than half a dozen games in 2025. It's almost insurmountable shaking off injuries at 32 when you've been crippled by them for years.

Last edited:
Club fell apart once Castagna retired.
I been rewatching some games from 2017-2020
Jason was hell elite at so many things, just not finishing off his great work too often than not

His pace, work rate, pressure, marking, explosiveness elite traits

I always said he would’ve been one of best small forward in comp if his kicking was better

Sign some free agents on big deals retain Prestia, Dusty & Lynch for one last crack at a flag. And semi start the rebuild through the draft. Hayward and McCluggage would help a fair bit I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back