It's time for The Rock

Remove this Banner Ad

morell

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fiji Bob has done nothing wrong, and he looks to have the ability to one day replace Wakes down the business end of the ground, however for the rest of the season, Wakelin needs to come back in.

We cannot afford to drop any games because of inexperience or defensive mistakes.

Vs Hawthorn

Here he would take Roughead or Boyle. Probably Roughhead as he is a bit stronger? Roughead has the ability to kick 4 or 5 so we need Wakes experience to limit his output. Although Tassie is a big ground, supposedly suiting a faster younger option, I reckon Wakes might be able to use his smarts and get into space to provide that semi-contested marking option from kick ins and defensive rebounds - a role that Wakes has done better than anyone over the years.

Franklin - Chappy/Grew
Roughead - Wakes/Toby
Boyle - Toby/Wakes

Vs Geelong

Mooney and Ottens. They have torn us new ones on a pretty consistent basis of late. Chaplin, Grew and Toby aren't strong enough to take them on all day. I could also see Bob coming in and one of Chappy or Grew being dropped for this one.

Wakes HAS to come back in for this game.

Mooney - Wakes/Toby
Ablett - Chappy/Grew
Ottens - Wakes/Toby

Vs Fremantle

Probably not needed as much here as there isn’t that Gorilla forward. I would still like him in the side in case it all goes wrong with Pav. Freo have options up forward with Gilmore sneaking forward on occasions so an extra tall defender may be handy.

Tarrant - Grew/Chappy
Pavlich - Toby/Wakes
Murphy - Chappy/Grew

-----------

Interested to hear what you would do with our tall defensive options for the rest of the year?

Fiji Bob has done nothing wrong, and he looks to have the ability to one day replace Wakes down the business end of the ground, however for the rest of the season, Wakelin needs to come back in.

Intersting call, Morell.

Assuming Wakes is fit, I too would like to see him in, however...

Against Hawthorn - their talls are generally also quite mobile, so there could be a worry that he could be shown up for pace (especially if there is any query regarding his fitness after a break)

Against Geelong - it would seem obvious that against Ottens we need a Wakelin, but the concern there for me is more the history of Ottens v Wakes, which I seem to recall(?) is one of Ottens geting the upper hand. Of course, that doesn't mean a Chaplin or Thurstans would do any better....

Against Fremantle - no imperative, unless form dictates.

That all said, the I really expect really expect to see him in the team in the finals (assuming we are in the final eight...). His experience and presence in big games is invaluable, not to mention he is a good match up against guys like Hall, Lynch and Petrie who we could expect to play against in September.

Given that backdrop, I too would expect to come in when he is fully fit, but not rushed back for any specific match-up reason...

.... Assuming Wakes is fit ...
Darryl Wakelin (Port Adelaide)
K 5 / M 3 / HB 1 / G 1 / T 0
“Wakes played a bit of forward and back and kicked 1.1. He got through the game unscathed, his ankle and hamstring pulled up well and he should keep improving on that performance.”

Yep, bring back Wakes so he can go out in style.

2007 is a rebuilding year. Leave Carlile in and let him develop further.

I disagree with the first post. While it would be good to have Wakes experience back there, it doesnt send a very good message to carlisle who has done nothing wrong. Keep him in and let him improve. He is the future not wakelin.

I disagree with the first post. While it would be good to have Wakes experience back there, it doesnt send a very good message to carlisle who has done nothing wrong. Keep him in and let him improve. He is the future not wakelin.
On that logic Salopek, Gray, Thomas, Symes and Krakouer have no hope of getting back in the side until someone (other than Lonie :eek:) stuffs up. Or do we just drop all the guys over 25 to make way for them as they are our future? ;) :)

If a guy who has played 4 or 5 games is omitted to make way for a 250 plus gamer returning from injury sees this a sending him a not "very good message" then he has a lot of maturing to do.

We have a very young and inexperienced back line at present, and while I agree Carlile has done nothing wrong, it is also good for the development of the others to play along side an experienced player like Wakelin. This is especially so in pressure games like the ones we are facing over the next three weeks. It is unlikely that Wakelin will be on our list next year so this is the last opportunity these guys will have to play with him.

Leave Carlile there for this week against the hawks, wakes back after that.

Yep :thumbsu:, my thoughts too.

The thing when Wakelin plays, that can at times really hurt us, is his lack of pace, and when that happens we have to play more a zone defense to cover his lack of speed. Opposition sides will try and isolate Wakelin and his forward and push other forwards up the ground to give them room to expose Wakelin's lack of pace, we then have to drop men back or revert to zone's. IMO we dont play well when that happen's.

Hawthorn's forward's are all lively and Wakelin would struggle matching any of them for speed, we would have to either play a loose man back or zone off to cover space, both of those options would be a negative IMO and both of those options would be what Hawthorn would best like us to do.

Against Geelong and possibly Fremantle I think Wakelin would be very much required, this week however I would much prefer to see us go with what we have over the past couple of weeks. If anything get's out of hand we always have Chad Cornes who can play a down back.

Agree. Leave Alipate there for this game and maybe look at bringing Wakes in for the Geelong game.

Give Wakes one more week with the Maggies.

On that logic Salopek, Gray, Thomas, Symes and Krakouer have no hope of getting back in the side until someone (other than Lonie :eek:) stuffs up. Or do we just drop all the guys over 25 to make way for them as they are our future? ;) :)

If a guy who has played 4 or 5 games is omitted to make way for a 250 plus gamer returning from injury sees this a sending him a not "very good message" then he has a lot of maturing to do.

We have a very young and inexperienced back line at present, and while I agree Carlile has done nothing wrong, it is also good for the development of the others to play along side an experienced player like Wakelin. This is especially so in pressure games like the ones we are facing over the next three weeks. It is unlikely that Wakelin will be on our list next year so this is the last opportunity these guys will have to play with him.
I understand your point, I just dont agree with it ;) As it stands Wakelin hasnt demanded to be selected with form, (albeit he's been injured) so why rush him back when carlisle is coming along nicely?
With your points on gray, krakouer etc, how are they similar? none of them are over the age of 30 and they are all part of our future team.

I understand your point, I just dont agree with it ....
Fair enough :thumbsu:

... With your points on gray, krakouer etc, how are they similar? none of them are over the age of 30 and they are all part of our future team.
My point was in relation to your assertion that players should only be dropped if they have done something wrong and not simply omitted to make way for another player who the match committee has decided they want in the team for what ever reason.

If 30 is the cut off for useful players then Lade should be dropped to make way for Deluca and Wilson to make way for Thomas. After all those young guys are the future of our club ;)

Having said that I won't be surprised if Wakelin doesn't get a recall this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - Wakes must come in at the expense of Bob. Whilst we are continuously developing the team for a premiership next year or the year after, we are a huge chance for a top 4 position and with it a crack at this years title.

Choco has done very well in blooding Bob and he will be a 200+ game player with us but I think we need some experience in defence and need to settle the team down leading into the finals.

:confused: We are playing for a home QF ffs

Wakes back for Geelong :thumbsu:

To get a home QF would be a massive bonus for this year.. Think about it logically.. This is a rebuilding year and if we end up in the top 8, that’s awesome. The most important thing is we let our kids further develop, especially the tall defenders (Chaplin, Carlile and Pettigrew).

I agree with the rebuilding viewpoint, however, we are in the top 4, why not do all we can to progress as far in the finals as possible?

Plus, let's not forget, this is pretty much Wakelin's last month in the afl, and carlile may well have a decade in front of him.

I love Bob though, so I'm not sure what to do, it's a tricky situation. Wakes deserves to go out in style though, not in a 'forgotten about' manner in terms of afl matches.

wwf_therock1.jpg

Oops my bad .... wrong Rock :eek: :D

It's a catch 22 situation i guess, as i can see points on both sides. Wakelin brings in a lot of experience & a cool head under pressure to help marshal the troops back there. But then how does Carlile get the experience he needs in big games if they drop him?

I'm sure that the coaching panel will do what they think is best for the club both in the short term & long term

^I still think he'll at least get one more match.

He didn't even lose his spot in the team due to form. Personally, Id be shocked if doesn't play one more game for the power.

Looks as if, baring an injury to Thurstans, Chaplin or Carlile, Wakelin has played his last game for the PAFC.

I wouldn't make that conclusion yet, wharfie. I think he will get back into the team providing his shows some solid form in the SANFL - no point rushing him just because he is over his injury.

Leave Carlile for this week, I don't think we're going to need 3 and Grew again after that - Hawthorn's about the only finals team that plays 3 tall forwards for extended periods, maybe Geelong while they're experimenting with 3 ruckmen

I am a fan, he is as hard as, when he hits they stay hit, Wakes has never had this quality. Keep him and teach him. He will be there for ten years if they get it right. Surjan, Pettigrew, Carlisle,Chaplin, Thurstans, pick any other running half back who can distribute and we have a backline for 8 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back