Opinion Time for a board challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We lost ownership and control of our club, and rightfully so, because of spiralling debt, falling membership and crowd numbers and an abysmal football department with pathetic on field performances.

We were described as irrelevant.

A huge shake up was required and did occur.

We are a decade on from those dark days.

The club has many, many good people at many different levels. We have seen relative stability.

But we remain in debt. Our margins are wafer thin and rely on having good crowds and multiple sponsors. Both rely on sustained on field success. We haven’t found alternative revenues and the China venture has been a failure - albeit due to some factors beyond our control. Fitness, coaching and player development remain issues just as they were in 2010-12. We are late to AFLW. The magpies are a joke. We’ve lost the edge in showdowns and have numerous embarrassing losses and performances to our name. We are in our longest ever premiership drought.

Does anyone care about Port? Outside of port fans and maybe crows fans. I would suggest we remain irrelevant.

So after a decade of non member control, a decade of this board(albeit with some changes), a decade of Ken, KT/Richo and Koch - what has changed?

- We remain in debt and tight financially, albeit somewhat more stable.

- On field we remain a joke. That PF was every bit as bad as the loss to hawthorn, the losses to GWS/GCS, the thumpings from the crows.

- missed opportunities in being late to AFLW

- fitness and player development remain a concern

- every other club seems to be redeveloping, where is ours at?

- Most concerning of all - PAFC is irrelevant. We don’t matter and no one cares that we don’t. We exist for close losses and brave interstate wins for Victorian clubs. We are not PAFC.

So after all the AFL intervention, Port is barely better off. The only thing is that the AFL doesn’t have to worry about that little, irritating second SA club that is always asking for money, well at least they aren’t asking for as much money.

It’s time to push, through whatever means we have, for revolution.

Ken, Koch and the Board must go. I’m grateful for your service but we need more. No bad will or vitriol.

I appreciate we can’t mount a challenge like at Collingwood recently or Richmond several years back.

So letters to the AFL, to the club, to media (Fox, the advertiser, podcasts, the age, whatever) - to demand change. We need as many as we can get. To call for change loud and clear.

We lost ownership and control of our club, and rightfully so, because of spiralling debt, falling membership and crowd numbers and an abysmal football department with pathetic on field performances.

We were described as irrelevant.

A huge shake up was required and did occur.

We are a decade on from those dark days.

The club has many, many good people at many different levels. We have seen relative stability.

But we remain in debt. Our margins are wafer thin and rely on having good crowds and multiple sponsors. Both rely on sustained on field success. We haven’t found alternative revenues and the China venture has been a failure - albeit due to some factors beyond our control. Fitness, coaching and player development remain issues just as they were in 2010-12. We are late to AFLW. The magpies are a joke. We’ve lost the edge in showdowns and have numerous embarrassing losses and performances to our name. We are in our longest ever premiership drought.

Does anyone care about Port? Outside of port fans and maybe crows fans. I would suggest we remain irrelevant.

So after a decade of non member control, a decade of this board(albeit with some changes), a decade of Ken, KT/Richo and Koch - what has changed?

- We remain in debt and tight financially, albeit somewhat more stable.

- On field we remain a joke. That PF was every bit as bad as the loss to hawthorn, the losses to GWS/GCS, the thumpings from the crows.

- missed opportunities in being late to AFLW

- fitness and player development remain a concern

- every other club seems to be redeveloping, where is ours at?

- Most concerning of all - PAFC is irrelevant. We don’t matter and no one cares that we don’t. We exist for close losses and brave interstate wins for Victorian clubs. We are not PAFC.

So after all the AFL intervention, Port is barely better off. The only thing is that the AFL doesn’t have to worry about that little, irritating second SA club that is always asking for money, well at least they aren’t asking for as much money.

It’s time to push, through whatever means we have, for revolution.

Ken, Koch and the Board must go. I’m grateful for your service but we need more. No bad will or vitriol.

I appreciate we can’t mount a challenge like at Collingwood recently or Richmond several years back.

So letters to the AFL, to the club, to media (Fox, the advertiser, podcasts, the age, whatever) - to demand change. We need as many as we can get. To call for change loud and clear.
You need a dozen or so signatures and physically presenting at a club event to demand change, I'm there...

We lost the club as we knew it when it was re-incorporated with the same governance structure as the Crows, basically on a whim, with the AFL entry.

Ship sailed for EGM’s, spills and whathaveyou almost 30 years ago.

We lost the club as we knew it when it was re-incorporated with the same governance structure as the Crows, basically on a whim, with the AFL entry.

Ship sailed for EGM’s, spills and whathaveyou almost 30 years ago.
Never thought we would even be in a situation where we would want a board spill, but here we are. With no rights.

Funny how you find out if you are a really a member, or just a number in these sorts of situations.

i dont get why are our profit margins are so thin. We are in the top half of clubs for support numbers and memberships..how do other clubs make money with even less supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back