Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to P&W 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched or attended most games.

IF you remember when Mcrae first arrived at the club one of the first comments he made was about the lack of tackling (I would imply that means defensive pressure) from younger players. Henry this year paid the price for that.

I think that next season McRae will have closer to the forward mix that he actually wants and that Ginners will be over taken.
Fly loves Ginnivan. Talk of him being “over taken” is nonsensical

Fly loves Ginnivan. Talk of him being “over taken” is nonsensical
Jack works incredibly hard when he doesn't have the ball. He closes space pretty well and uses his brain to cover his perceived lack of pace.
As an aside, I watched the prelim on TV with my daughter who was a strike forward in Premier league hockey ( a position that demands an awful lot of hard work for the reward of several half chances a game) My daughter follows the pies out of loyalty to me, takes an interest but doesn't watch every game.
Halfway through the 3rd, Jack had tied the ball up or forced the ball out of bounds and she remarked to me "I love that kid, he works so hard and does all the little things that add up." Given her sporting background, I think the comment is indicative of how Jack s viewed internally.

Jack works incredibly hard when he doesn't have the ball. He closes space pretty well and uses his brain to cover his perceived lack of pace.
As an aside, I watched the prelim on TV with my daughter who was a strike forward in Premier league hockey ( a position that demands an awful lot of hard work for the reward of several half chances a game) My daughter follows the pies out of loyalty to me, takes an interest but doesn't watch every game.
Halfway through the 3rd, Jack had tied the ball up or forced the ball out of bounds and she remarked to me "I love that kid, he works so hard and does all the little things that add up." Given her sporting background, I think the comment is indicative of how Jack s viewed internally.
Yep too many people on these pages narrowly focussed on the towering contested mark.

Agree completely. And, he is only 19 still. A couple more preseasons to get stronger and improve his tank even more and he'll be a really good player for a long time.

Have a look at Billys goal against Carlton. Any other 19yo kid would of panicked and tried to run towards the ball and take possession but Ginni knew Jamie was there and blocked to allow the winning goal. He's got brilliant game awareness for a kid

Have a look at Billys goal against Carlton. Any other 19yo kid would of panicked and tried to run towards the ball and take possession but Ginni knew Jamie was there and blocked to allow the winning goal. He's got brilliant game awareness for a kid
Ginni's biggest footy asset is between the ears. All the rest follows on from that.
40 goals as a 19 year old is only the beginning.

That may be correct but why look backwards all the time.

What we have and who we are getting this draft / trade season are what's important to me.
This is important to all of us and is being well discussed in the relevant threads. As this thread is dedicated to Jack Ginnivan I fell my comments were pertinent and valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i must admit that I thought that his lack of speed was going to catch up with him but his thought processes put him ahead of his opponents....I'm looking forward to seeing him next year and what he can improve.

i must admit that I thought that his lack of speed was going to catch up with him but his thought processes put him ahead of his opponents....I'm looking forward to seeing him next year and what he can improve.
I well remember Crackers Keenan claiming that Tony Shaw had pace "hidden pace" because he was always 2 steps ahead of everyone else. That's Jack with faster leg speed

I well remember Crackers Keenan claiming that Tony Shaw had pace "hidden pace" because he was always 2 steps ahead of everyone else. That's Jack with faster leg speed

I agree but it's still an issue...and a forward line is a collection of players who make their contributions...and others provide the run down pace...but if the forward line changes with mcstay addition, the balance shifts. So I see it as being a collective issue, and not just about whether he has the pace to operate. I think he has lived with a lack of pace for his footy life so far - and i think some of his tactics reflect that, although I think his approach of taking tackles is also about him thinking strategically about how to get set shots at goal. He is obviously unique and cant be judged with the usual template.

I have watched or attended most games.

IF you remember when Mcrae first arrived at the club one of the first comments he made was about the lack of tackling (I would imply that means defensive pressure) from younger players. Henry this year paid the price for that.

I think that next season McRae will have closer to the forward mix that he actually wants and that Ginners will be over taken.
I think my fellow posters have put to be your "concerns" with a series of simple facts.

I think my fellow posters have put to be your "concerns" with a series of simple facts.
Still cannot answer lol

When you have depth, players will miss out. I think Ginners might be one.

GW is improving the depth and competition for spots will be there now.

I respect others thoughts but I am not changing mine.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Still cannot answer lol

When you have depth, players will miss out. I think Ginners might be one.

GW is improving the depth and competition for spots will be there now.

I respect others thoughts but I am not changing mine.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Whilst not disagreeing with you entirely, I'm really keen for Ginni to be pumped full of endurance training over the next two pre-seasons with the view to playing him through the mids. I don't want Elliot being sent in there anymore but Ginni is a natural ball magnet and if he could get to more contests his ability to find the ball would be quite interesting. 80% forward/20% on ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back