Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair Palmer had an insane year for a first year player. He just never replicated that
Was a very fine first year.
Remember he looked the goods.

Can anyone think of another first year player that scared the bejezuz out of his opponents like this kid does? Maybe Cyril?
They know he can out run them, out mark them and generally win his own ball from just about any situation.
We're watching a jet already. Give him 2-3 years and he's going to be running out of the centre square bombing goals!

JDG was good today as well but Stevo just has all the characteristics of a once in a generation player.
And we have em both!!

Go Pies.

and Reads so ball so well

That run on the wing when he was being chased by Saad was a crack up. He saw his chance to burn off another speedster in front of a big crowd and overdid it, getting himself in a tangle.

I watched him carefully to see his reaction. He was dirty on himself but also had a chuckle rather than get into any push and shove with Saad.

Which was the perfect response. I find his maturity and composure absolutely remarkable for someone who is basically still a boy.

He is going to be a star ... what was the knock on him pre draft?

His heart condition really the greatest fear. Without it, he would've at least been top 5. Early indicators were even higher. I suppose he is pretty skinny as well, but by end of his draft year he was actually playing as a pure mid. So there is real scope for him in this regards. I reckon the heart issue saw him drop about 2-3 spots.

That run on the wing when he was being chased by Saad was a crack up. He saw his chance to burn off another speedster in front of a big crowd and overdid it, getting himself in a tangle.

I watched him carefully to see his reaction. He was dirty on himself but also had a chuckle rather than get into any push and shove with Saad.

Which was the perfect response. I find his maturity and composure absolutely remarkable for someone who is basically still a boy.

It was funny. But what confidence he has! Saad is one of the quickest players in the competition, and Stephenson looked at him and was willing to take him on. He actually out-paced him early, but then stumbled and Saad made up ground. Would've been an incredible race if he held his feet.

I reckon he believes he can just about out-sprint anyone in the comp. But not many players actually have the confidence to translate that into action. He has pace, but importantly isn't afraid to use it.

Beams. His first year was stupidly underrated. Also - Tom Langdon (awesome first year), Ryan Lonie and Josh Fraser.

Bucks' first year at Brisbane was the best debut season by any player in my lifetime. Was fifth in the Brownlow (4 votes off first). Complete freak.

Not Frankie Raso.
Buckley had just come off a Magary Medal and B&F in the GF. Not your average rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to say I had my heart in my mouth then, was remarkably like the Treloar over stretch when Stevo had that stumble.

He is going to be a star ... what was the knock on him pre draft?

It was a heart condition. What has surprised me most is how strong he is in a contest against a seasoned AFL defenders, rarely does he lose his feet. Plus the other players around him and that were drafted before him all looked the goods as well.
Rayner, Brayshaw, Dow, LDU and Cera all look like they are going to be serious players at some stage in their careers and they are just the players taken before him.

TBH looking at the majority of first year players this year not many clubs would be to disappointed with their selections.

What I love about him is that he completely ignores the pre-game/quarter attention he receives. Doesn't retaliate, just stands there unfussed.
Yep, just let’s his footballing do the talking. Every start to a game they try and get into him and he doesn’t have a bar. I’m fine with the way he goes about it.

What I love about him is that he completely ignores the pre-game/quarter attention he receives. Doesn't retaliate, just stands there unfussed.

Best Way to Show them Up is Out Play Them

Had no idea that rule applied. I don't watch many other teams but is there anyone even close this year? Must be a chance to get maximum points in the voting

Tom Doedee took on Jake Lever's role as intercepting half back for Adelaide, he is probably closest. But on the weekend he had his worst game all year, 8 touches.
Alex Witherden is apparently the next Brendan Goddard, he sneaks in as he played 9 games in 2017, so that kind of sucks.

Our boy has less disposals, and marks, but you have to remember that his marks are usually inside the forward 50, so the difficulty factor is much higher. They can't touch him for goals and goal assists either.

Player comparison:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=20&type=T&pid1=6485&pid2=6349&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2018&SelectedPlayers=2785,2778,2740,&Compare=Go

I'm a bit concerned he got injured in the game against North, is he OK? I was at the game and heard on MMM he came off with a lower calf thing and didn't see him come back on?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back