Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I understand that it might be difficult for a Freo support to acknowledge WC might have yet another talented tall on their list, I suggest you stay away from this thread over the coming years.
If you watched some of Branders possessions the past couple of games, you would see the attribute I am talking about. Why Pendels? Because he is the best I have seen at creating time and space for himself due to vision , awareness and lateral movement- he is the exemplified version of that skill set. Brander has displayed this on a number of occasions the past few weeks, hence the comparison.
I have no problem acknowledging players form any team, because I am not a tribalistic zealot. You can ever search my history about Brander and you'll see I have rated him since his draft year as a lead up KPF. Haven't seen anything to suggest he'll be anything more than a mediocre midfielder.

I'd even happily give the Eagles a 2nd rounder to actually play him as a forward, but to try and draw a Pendlebury comparison for Brander is just laughable.

Yes he has been. Same with Petrucelle whose stats also may not tell the whole story (same with Jones past 3 rounds). You're srsly better off watching the games rather than stat hunting to see what others are saying. I'm just happy to see the composition of our team start to evolve and morph, I guess that is the silver lining to injuries.

I'm not trying to suggest a trade value or anything for him so not just trying to pump his tyres up - but there's a reason he's managed to stay in the team this season despite our abundance of talls.
Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they haven't watched.

The reason I looked up the stats was because I watched Brander play and couldn't possibly see how we got from that low possession, low impact player to Pendlebury. I was genuinely expecting to see he was averaging 20+ disposals and a goal a game and was prepared to be surprised. Turns out his stats match the eye test.

The reason he is in your team is easy. Minimum of 7 walk up starts missing + Vardy who seems to play.

Tom BarrassShoulderTest
Shannon HurnCalf1-2 weeks
Mark HutchingsHamstringTest
Jeremy McGovernGroin1-2 weeks
Liam RyanShin1-2 weeks
Luke ShueyHamstringTBC
Nathan VardyFootTest
Daniel VenablesConcussionTBC
Isiah WinderKneeTBC
Elliot YeoGroinTBC

I have no problem acknowledging players form any team, because I am not a tribalistic zealot. You can ever search my history about Brander and you'll see I have rated him since his draft year as a lead up KPF. Haven't seen anything to suggest he'll be anything more than a mediocre midfielder.

I'd even happily give the Eagles a 2nd rounder to actually play him as a forward, but to try and draw a Pendlebury comparison for Brander is just laughable.

The reason I looked up the stats was because I watched Brander play and couldn't possibly see how we got from that low possession, low impact player to Pendlebury. I was genuinely expecting to see he was averaging 20+ disposals and a goal a game and was prepared to be surprised. Turns out his stats match the eye test.

This is where you have chosen to mis-represent what I have said. You think because there is a comparison of one aspect of a players game then he is a like for like for the compared player. He possesses a trait that Pendlebury does, he is a long way from a Pendlebury clone or anything approaching the quality of one of the games best midfielders with 250+ games. This is obvious to all but you chose to make it out as something else.
Looking up stats (and quoting them incorrectly- he is averaging 17 this year almost double the 10 you claim) to demonstrate he doesnt have an intangible quality that cant be quantified demonstrates you either dont understand what was said or you are scrambling to make an argument for the sake of it.

He is showing some very good signs and has potential to be a very good midfielder for us, much to my surprise. 17 possessions and 0.8 goal per game for a young bloke playing wing, a position he is just learning, is OK by me. Dont care what his trade value is, I want to keep him on our list.

This is where you have chosen to mis-represent what I have said. You think because there is a comparison of one aspect of a players game then he is a like for like for the compared player. He possesses a trait that Pendlebury does, he is a long way from a Pendlebury clone or anything approaching the quality of one of the games best midfielders with 250+ games. This is obvious to all but you chose to make it out as something else.
Looking up stats (and quoting them incorrectly- he is averaging 17 this year almost double the 10 you claim) to demonstrate he doesnt have an intangible quality that cant be quantified demonstrates you either dont understand what was said or you are scrambling to make an argument for the sake of it.

He is showing some very good signs and has potential to be a very good midfielder for us, much to my surprise. 17 possessions and 0.8 goal per game for a young bloke playing wing, a position he is just learning, is OK by me. Dont care what his trade value is, I want to keep him on our list.
He doesn't even have the trait though. Time looks very much normal speed when he is involved. If anything, he looks cumbersome in the middle as you'd expect from a 195cm forward.

I wasn't trying to draw any attention to trade value or anything. I genuinely thought you were taking the ****.

The reason he is in your team is easy. Minimum of 7 walk up starts missing + Vardy who seems to play.

Tom BarrassShoulderTest
Liam RyanShin1-2 weeks
Luke ShueyHamstringTBC
Nathan VardyFootTest
Isiah WinderKneeTBC
Elliot YeoGroinTBC

You are right that we have 7 to come back in, but I don't think it will affect Branders spot at all.

Hurn, Barrass and Gov coming back in will be a wrestle for spots in the backline.
Also when Yeo comes back in it will push Duggan back into the backline creating further pressure for spots back there.

I think they will manage Shuey on the half forward line from now on (he can kick a mean goal on the run) instead of in the guts due to his body starting to breakdown on him.
So with Shuey and Ryan coming back in it is the small forwards who will wrestle for list spots methinks.

I think Brander is B22 now and here to stay unless there is a massive form slump. I think Waterman gets pushed out for him which is a shame.
But Brander has shown he can intercept mark, kick goals and midfield - and is a good user of the ball. He's one of the players I feel that sense of safety with now when the ball is in his hands.
I really hope we dont trade him.

You are right that we have 7 to come back in, but I don't think it will affect Branders spot at all.

Hurn, Barrass and Gov coming back in will be a wrestle for spots in the backline.
Also when Yeo comes back in it will push Duggan back into the backline creating further pressure for spots back there.

I think they will manage Shuey on the half forward line from now on (he can kick a mean goal on the run) instead of in the guts due to his body starting to breakdown on him.
So with Shuey and Ryan coming back in it is the small forwards who will wrestle for list spots methinks.

I think Brander is B22 now and here to stay unless there is a massive form slump. I think Waterman gets pushed out for him which is a shame.
But Brander has shown he can intercept mark, kick goals and midfield - and is a good user of the ball. He's one of the players I feel that sense of safety with now when the ball is in his hands.
I really hope we dont trade him.
I don't think you will trade him.

Averaging 10 disposal and less than a goal per game is your shining light? Genuinely not sure if serious?

You guys aren't what you were in 2018, but you're not going that bad.

Averaging 17 touches, 6 marks, 4 i50s and almost a goal a game this season as the defensive winger
1620700904383.png

He has improved noticeably this season and we are happy with his progress despite your negativity.

As for Brander, this would be the worst year for WC to lose him.

We’ve spent all of this development work getting him ready physically, tried him at different spots (given our KPF/KPD stocks are pretty strong) given him a spot on the wing and now as he starts to develop into that role and show his natural talent- to lose him for a pick in the mid to late 20’s would be a terrible result.

He’s been one highlight this year for WC in an up and down year. His running is elite and he is finding ways to get involved even in a role that historically has been a bit of a graveyard for us as a team.

I don’t know anymore since it’s turned into Kelly vs Jeremy Cameron & young player named Cooper Stephens
Kelly is starting to turn his form around, but for various reasons he hasn’t got to the Geelong level consistently yet. We gave a lot for him.

Clearly we gave you a fair deal which you then turned into a gem in Cameron. Can’t comment too much on Stephens but I don’t think either club is unhappy.

Averaging 17 touches, 6 marks, 4 i50s and almost a goal a game this season as the defensive winger
View attachment 1124353

He has improved noticeably this season and we are happy with his progress despite your negativity.
My mistake, but he is still nothing like Pendlebury which was my whole point.

My mistake, but he is still nothing like Pendlebury which was my whole point.

I think you are getting lost in the semantics here

His movement in traffic and agility is very, very good for a big man and it's reminded people of Pendlebury with the way he moves.

In terms of possession output though there is no comparison, but not many can measure up to someone who's been consistently good for 324 games and counting.

I think you are getting lost in the semantics here

His movement in traffic and agility is very, very good for a big man and it's reminded people of Pendlebury with the way he moves.

In terms of possession output though there is no comparison, but not many can measure up to someone who's been consistently good for 324 games and counting.
No I'm not. My point was I don't think he is anywhere Pendlebury, including how he moves in traffic. He might be half decent mover for a big bloke, but he looks miles off Pendlebury. As I said, he still looks cumbersome around the ball compared to normal mids. That's fine, because he is supposed to be a KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is Clark is a 3rd year utility who has played 28 games. Brander is a 4th year tall who has played 17.

I just enjoy the mental gymnastics justifying that Clark is worth more than the pick 15 used to draft him while Brander is worth nowhere near pick 13.

Neither of them is or at least shouldnt be worth what they were drafted at..both shouldnt be worth more than second rounders. That said i think both could be very good players long term im just talking right now.

Tom BarrassShoulderTest
Liam RyanShin1-2 weeks
Luke ShueyHamstringTBC
Nathan VardyFootTest
Isiah WinderKneeTBC
Elliot YeoGroinTBC

Williams is Vardys replacement and you are right Brander only got a chance because of injuries. Having said that if WC had 0 players missing he still might play on the wing. The line-up could be
B: Hurn, Barrass, Rotham
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Nelson/Cole/Witherton
C: Gaff, Yeo, Brander
HF: Rioli, Darling, Jones
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen
R: Naitanui, Shuey, Kelly
I: Williams, Nelson, Sheed, Petrecelli

Williams is Vardys replacement and you are right Brander only got a chance because of injuries. Having said that if WC had 0 players missing he still might play on the wing. The line-up could be
Then the question is does he mind playing on the wing or does he want to play forward?

Would love to see him at the Tigers running the opposite wing to McIntosh or as a 3rd tall with Lynch and Riewoldt. Ready made and would give up our later 1st rounder

Then the question is does he mind playing on the wing or does he want to play forward?
Don't know. If Nth wanted him they'd need to trade in a pick around 10 to get it done anyhow (assuming they wont give up pick 1 for him)

you've forgotten poor shep
Pick between 25 -30 (ish) seems about right for Brander imo
He won't be going anywhere for an offer like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back