Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I am sure you would. ;)

Honestly i am surprised you are so willing to let him go..when we have asked about him previously wce were adamant about keeping him..things must have changed in the last 2 years.

Honestly i am surprised you are so willing to let him go..when we have asked about him previously wce were adamant about keeping him..things must have changed in the last 2 years.

Yeah on our board we all are surprised too at the way it's, seemingly being played out.

Either we have totally botched the whole Brander situation, or we know that Clubs have been sniffing for a month or two and maybe a deal has already been discussed and agreed to in principal , very unusual and stupid for Nisbett to comment like that in the public forum.

Yeah on our board we all are surprised too at the way it's, seemingly being played out.

Either we have totally botched the whole Brander situation, or we know that Clubs have been sniffing for a month or two and maybe a deal has already been discussed and agreed to in principal , very unusual and stupid for Nisbett to comment like that in the public forum.
Could just be the realities of the cap situation. If you can't afford the sum of the contracts then best lose the kp player occupying the wing.

If he was actually any good would he be playing on the wing? Would like to think a former pick 13 key position prospect would be good enough to settle in a key post in their 4th season if they are actually going to make the grade.

Think we might be better off just taking an 18 year old on draft night myself but sounds like the club are keen.

Last edited:
Straight swap for pick 56.

He can take O'Briens spot and learn under Jack Gunston about how to be a tall, athletic swingman who can kick goals.

Two massive queries here, how the Eagles developed him + his attitude.

He was sent back to the reserves ( Beagles ), and instead of getting him back in touch by allowing him to get a “ touch of the leather “, he was made to play as a mobile winger. This role was how they saw him fitting into the senior team. Most thought he should be played at the reserve level as a key position player. Was he being played in a non natural position for his skills ?.

I question his attitude, because in the end, did he lack confidence in himself and the way the club was using him ?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Branders management has found him a new home.

Seems the club has known since mid season, hence one reason he wasnt selected. Bar two late games.

Id suggest its Mitchell and the Hawks.

So its a wait and seewhat happens situation, looks like he's decided to move.

Looks like Branders management has found him a new home.

Seems the club has known since mid season, hence one reason he wasnt selected. Bar two late games.

Id suggest its Mitchell and the Hawks.

So its a wait and seewhat happens situation, looks like he's decided to move.

Thats interesting...purely because hes had opportunities to leave before and turned them down so something must have changed. I suppose its about more opportunities and role for him. Hawks might not be a bad fit, we would probably be keen on him again, depending on what role he is after a few vic clubs would be a good fit.

It says here that you haven't offered a contract and there isn't any interest yet.

You believe the media report everything and correctly?

Earlier in the year we were having discusions. That hit a snag. Since then we havent offered him new terms.

Scuttlebutt is he said mid season he is moving. So we wait and see how that occurs. Either requests a trade or risks the draft. Time will tell but it looks like a club has got in his ear.

Smells like the Tim Membrey / Adam Goodes debacle.

Adam wanted to play on another year, Membrey saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to wait another year.

Sydney delisted and Saints picked him up as a DFA (IIRC).

Now that Kennedy has said he is playing on, Brander sees the writing on the wall and is walking out.

Eagles would have done better to get some value out of him last year.

You believe the media report everything and correctly?

Earlier in the year we were having discusions. That hit a snag. Since then we havent offered him new terms.

Scuttlebutt is he said mid season he is moving. So we wait and see how that occurs. Either requests a trade or risks the draft. Time will tell but it looks like a club has got in his ear.
I doubt a club has promised him anything, there is no reason to keep it secret. It is possible he'll find a home for a token pick, but more likely he gets a rookie contract somewhere. Otherwise, we and others would be keen on him for our VFL team. He is a good state league player just doesn't have the tools to succeed at AFL level.

I reckon he's a lead up CHF rather than a clunker, pack marker. And his foot skills give him the ability to play up the ground. But he's not overly quick across the ground so it's easy to see why he has become a whipping boy. A club that has genuine need for him could find gold or could end being a hole plugger and be on the scrap heap forever. Could be undiscovered or could be Jordan Lisle.

Would be perfect as a ‘Jack Gunston’ type mobile forward pushing up the ground. Maybe the Hawks see him as insurance if Gunston’s back won’t allow him to play meaningful games anymore? Lot of smoke about the Hawks with this one..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back